The Times they are a changin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

The Times they are a changin

Does anyone sense this or feel it as I do? It seems like we are a hockey franchise, all our veterans are leaving, retiring etc and now the new young crop are coming in. Personally i'm getting the feeling of an old memebers (at that means at least 6 months time here) vs. mods and newer members.

What is your take on all this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed they are... :sleep: I've seen more old members leave in the past 2 months than I did all of last year. Not a good sign, as all of our "old knowledge" is leaving... and us relative nooblets are left to try to fill in their big footprints... These are getting to be dark times. Let's all hope that we can still survive :ninja:
    The New Yawka of TheAmericanClan
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    [15:29] <Caluin> I don't care where you came from, if I can smash my forehead into your nuts, I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoboss
    [12:06] * Phoboss IS INVICLBLE!

The Star Wars Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gamesondemand
    Indeed they are... :sleep: I've seen more old members leave in the past 2 months than I did all of last year. Not a good sign, as all of our "old knowledge" is leaving... and us relative nooblets are left to try to fill in their big footprints... These are getting to be dark times. Let's all hope that we can still survive :ninja:
    This isn't a suprise. Winter does it to people, you get a little down and yet you have much to attend to, so you cut on the wargaming, that's how it goes.

Some also do make a comeback after a while, for different reasons. you can't stick to boards forever either, the average age of LO users is 16 I beleive, and beyond that you ge to rely on your own skills, gaming and knowledge to build list and provide with ideas.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

It is sad to see so many of our much loved and respected older members leave. There is no doubt about it, the LO vet population is falling slowly. I guess its up to us to fill the gaps and do the best we can to keep LO an informative, accurate and mature site. The good side is that there are many new members every week, so at least we are still growing. I have a fitting quotation from our most holy of tomes, the 40K 4th ed rulebook:

"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters a greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single well placed thought. All men must thank progenitors obscured by the past, so we must endure the present so that those who follow may continue the endeavor."

A bit melancholy, but relavent I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Aye, been here for more than a year and have seen alot of vets go, and its a sad thing, people have thier ideas as to why some have left, but in the end, no matter why they left, the point is they left.

And just playing Devil's Advocate here a bit, there is a good side to this.

New Blood.

With some of the major Vets leaving it could almost be said that it is a good time for other to rise up.

I know that with the LO Ezine I'll be able to make a more widespread effect on people wether by simply rationalizing my crazy ideas or just doing good things, helping out and such.

It is sad, but we have to keep moving on, all the new people signing up need vets like those that have left to help them out with learning to become part of the community.

Mike

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

It sort of reminds me of my old middle school. Grades 7 and 8 were very different, but when I think about it those 2 years were probably the best of my life.

I am looking to step up and play a part in teaching some nooblets. I look forward to maturing along with the young members and those around me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Don't worry guys, take it from me, (puts on wizened old person voice)

The longer you are here, the less you post, its just as simple as that, there is only so many topics, and they start repeating. In fact for the last couple of months, I only post in the painting and introduction topics, with the odd General Discussion thrown in for good measure.

Its a fact of life, we let the newer members have a run at things, but keep an eye on you all incase you get carried away with yourselves.........

I personally don't see myself leaving anytime soon, I might not post as often as I used to but I read through all the new posts at least once a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Heh. Chemical Caveman, as per usual knows where its at. We've seen it all before, Mods especially. Theres almost nothing we havent come across before, so as a result we tend to post very little and only lend a steering hand every now and again.

*shrugs* So it goes.
    "It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

it is just the way of things im afraid

anyway, ive been here ages and i still feel like a new member! ha ha

I thought it was interesting in this months UK WD to read about the bloke who painted the featured crimson fists army, had a long hiatus from the hobby- i think its one of those things that you do sporadically. For example i go for months without playing or painting anything, and then other times im always painted, popping into my local store- i may even be giving up a saturday to go in for the pre-release Tau day thing, which is very unlike me!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Makes sense in a way. Once you've hit a certain point in a hobby, you've done all you had intended to do. It may take a while to find a spark that points you in a new direction.

This could be interpreted a new way, as well. Is interest in miniatures on the rise, and the numbers of new members, talking about newbie topics, increasing? The veterans have nothing new to add, and see nothing new, so they stay silent while the newbies crowd in and discuss "the same old thing" that's totally new for them.

Maybe we aren't losing vets so much as inundating them with newbies and newbie topics.
    BFG
    Cadian Enforcement Taskforce(1500) (3/3/2)
    181st Cadian (1500) (0/1/4)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast