Scientology = Bullshizzle? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scientology = Bullshizzle?

So, I meandered over the crazy(/ier) side of the internet. No, not the German Shiza Videos. After fighting the Trolls of Allah and the Goblins of Iicklejibble the One Eyed, I finally reached my destination.

Tom Cruise's Religion

At first, I was nervous. Not knowing what to expect as I stared at the shifting picture of L. Ron Hubbard. Shivers ran down my spine as I finally moved my mouse, my pointer resting over > What is Scientology?

Well, I know all of you can read, so I'm going to let you do it for this page. Have at it.

Done? Good. Just peruse the site for a little while. It's an interestingstupid read.

Done with that? Good.

With that, I think I'm going to start my own religion. We shall worship emoticons. You know they're the Space Gods. You know they dominate your lives. I know they control me. I smile/frown/wink/flirt/wear sunglasses all the time. They influence you whether you know it or not.

This is what Emoticonists actually believe.Blink.This is what Emoticonists actually believe.

Anyway, I think Scientology is...strange.

Discuss.

My religion too.

Andrew-

What signature?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think scientology is incredibly interesting..

Interesting because, unlike the major world religions, it's totally built for the modern world. The doctrine is psychobabble and sci fi, and the goal is a totally self serving desire to be a secure happy person. There's no hypocracy involved, because the cynicism and self interest is totally obvious. I mean, just look at the numerical advancement system.. it's like climbing a pyramid, only there's nothing at the top, and you pay a lot of money to get there just so you can say to yourself and others 'I'm a 5th level Thetan!'

The reality is that most of us could, very cynically, found a cult. All we have to do is tell people what they want to hear.. That there's an easy way to make themselves happy and successful. The irony is that there is a way to make them happy, all they have to do is let you give them an identity, and then let you control them so that they don't have to control themselves. Some people, generally those who are already happy or secure, won't buy it.. but others would.

People who found cults are generally really interesting to me (sometimes scary, but interesting) because they've got past the fear which prevents us all from doing that.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; May 1st, 2006 at 02:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

I don’t buy Scientology one bit, and frankly it’s in my opinion one of the most annoying ’religions’ to be found. I’ve had my share of pushy salespeople trying to sell me this belief system, literarily speaking, because Scientology is above all else a scam that allows its leaders to make millions of dollars off the brain washing and indoctrinating of the weakest members of our society.

My encounters with Scientology have been mercifully brief, but long enough to impress me with a deep and unwavering loathing for this so-called ‘church’. I have seen children wear sandals in the snow at midwinter because their parents couldn’t afford to buy them boots after paying their ‘Church tithes’, I’ve seen pre-teens painting the Scientology headquarters in Copenhagen wearing no means of protection from the paint fumes and balancing on ladders in heights of ten metres to polish the brass letters on the façade, and I’ve been told that I am myself dangerously insane yet should not seek medical attention but rather buy a book and a twelve-step program to ‘heal’ myself of this terrible infliction. I might add that for a religious institution not to refer sick people to a hospital but try to cure them itself is a crime in Denmark, and yet Scientology does not only declare that they can cure all manners of diseases and illnesses, they also make war on psychiatry and encourage mentally unsound individuals to go without professional treatment and medication.

L. Ron Hubbart, science fiction author and the founder of Scientology, once said that the easiest way to make a million dollars would be to start his own religion. And voila, he founds Scientology. Strange coincidence, no? No. :glare:

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

I'll agree with that Greph.

Do see some a good (and kinda funny) new article, go to here: http://www.abc.net.au/vod/default.htm (its better if you have broadband)

Click on "The Chaser's War On Everything" out of the 4 optiions, between "Rage" and "At The Movies".

Then click on: "Scientology Guilibility Test". Its one of 4 optoins on the side, next to media player.

And enjoy.

This one's for you Greph. ^_^
    Last edited by Lord Yossanrion; May 1st, 2006 at 13:05.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I couldn't agree more with Greph.

Here's an interesting thing to consider with regards to the belief system though...

Their crazy ideas about aliens and the like are no more crazy than believing in, say, the virgin birth? A man who can walk on water? Someone who can heal leprosy?

All religions (with the exception of bhuddism i believe?) follow ridiculous ideas which i simply cannot buy in to.

As for the money thing though, anyone who pays into the "church" of scientology i think needs a lobotomy.

At least that's what i think

Ciao

Stonehambey

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

A student at my Uni (the LSE) did an expose report on the local Scientology church in London for the student paper. It was quite amusing he basically took this test and while he was left alone snuck out of the room and went looking around the building delving into their files and stuff. What he found was despite their image Scientology (at least in London) isn't very well funded or organised.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Scientology is hilarious to me, even though there always is religion vs science some of the stuff they believe takes it to a new level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I'm not very religious, but i've always seen value in religion if used correctly to bring people together. Many people argue that part of the reason religion was created was to bring people together and organize them for a greater good. It can be used as a powerful force of social good, or a force of hate and destruction. I think in scientology it's just being used to swindle money like it often is. But who knows? maybe some day it could turn into a positive thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Man. Bump Scientology.

Everyone join the Church of the Fonz!

AYYYEEEE!

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I'm not into religion of any kind but I do believe that people has the right to believe in them no matter what and no matter how ridiculous other thinks they are.

My only encounter with Scientology was when they promised me a free stress test, which I toke. Then they of cause tried to sell me a lot of books, but hey they don't come knocking on you door every month like Jehovah's Witness, and they don't kill followers of other religions which both Chistiansnism and Islam does.

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    My encounters with Scientology have been mercifully brief, but long enough to impress me with a deep and unwavering loathing for this so-called ‘church’. I have seen children wear sandals in the snow at midwinter because their parents couldn't’t afford to buy them boots after paying their ‘Church tithes’, I’ve seen pre-teens painting the Scientology headquarters in Copenhagen wearing no means of protection from the paint fumes and balancing on ladders in heights of ten metres to polish the brass letters on the facade, and I’ve been told that I am myself dangerously insane yet should not seek medical attention but rather buy a book and a twelve-step program to ‘heal’ myself of this terrible infliction. I might add that for a religious institution not to refer sick people to a hospital but try to cure them itself is a crime in Denmark, and yet Scientology does not only declare that they can cure all manners of diseases and illnesses, they also make war on psychiatry and encourage mentally unsound individuals to go without professional treatment and medication.
    Of cause it is insane to believe that you can heal all kind of infections only by belief, but the all religions have peoples who claims to be able to do that, so in that case they aren't worse than any other religion IMO.

For the pre-teens: I've seen worse or at least the same things done in the name of the Christian Church and other places.

Don't get me wrong I do not try to justify Scientology but I just want to say that they are no worse than other religions. And if people wants to donate their money to them then let then do it. There is nothing we can do to prevent it.
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast