Thank You to the Brits from a grateful America! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Thank You to the Brits from a grateful America!

I'm very grateful to the British Intelligence and everyone involved in this sting that this plot was uncovered and is ( so far ) being dealt with. Thank you to the guys standing on the walls and guarding the gates and keeping the rest of us safe while the wolves prowl around outside.

News Analysis

The plot had been in the works for months, and its goal was horrific. One after another, planes would have exploded in the sky, sending hundreds of men, women and children to their deaths.
    Counterterrorism officials said Thursday the plan thwarted in London appears to bear the fingerprints of al-Qaida, and may even have been “the Big One? they have been dreading since Sept. 11, 2001, particularly as the five-year anniversary of the attacks on the United States approaches.
    More than 20 people have been arrested, terror threat levels have been raised to some of their highest levels and hundreds of flights have been canceled worldwide.

“In terms of scale, it was probably designed to be ... a new Sept. 11,? said Jean-Charles Brisard, a French private investigator who works with lawyers of many Sept. 11 victims. “It involved the same tools, the same transportation tools and devices.?
    Rohan Gunaratna, a terrorism expert at Singapore’s Institute of Defense and Strategic Studies, said everything known so far points to involvement by Osama bin Laden’s terror group.
    “It is a classic al-Qaida tactic. It is a hallmark of al-Qaida to carry out coordinated, simultaneous attacks and the aviation domain is certainly known to al-Qaida,? he said.
    Al-Qaida earmarks
    FBI Director Robert Mueller echoed those sentiments, saying: “This had the earmarks of an al-Qaida plot.? U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff added that the plan was “sophisticated, it had a lot of members and it was international in scope.?
    There have been dozens of thwarted plots around the world since the Sept. 11 attacks, and several were murderously successful. Suicide bombers killed 52 people in London on July 7, 2005, 58 in two attacks in Istanbul, Turkey in 2003, and 202 in Bali in 2002. Islamic radicals killed 191 people in Madrid on March 11, 2004, then blew themselves up days later as police closed in.
    While al-Qaida’s call for global jihad clearly acted as inspiration, there has been no direct evidence that bin Laden or his No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, had advance knowledge of those attacks, that they helped plan them, or that they provided financial or logistical help to those who carried them out.
    The group’s failure to match the destruction it inflicted on Sept. 11 has led to speculation that a global dragnet that has forced bin Laden into hiding and ensnared many of his most trusted deputies may have degraded al-Qaida’s abilities.
    Analysts said Thursday that is a theory to be believed only at the world’s peril.
    ‘This was really serious’
    The plan thwarted by the British had the potential to dwarf the attacks of recent years — killing hundreds, perhaps thousands.
    It also appears to have involved far more extensive planning and expertise.
    Counterterrorism agents have been tracking the alleged plotters for months and made arrests in London and its suburbs, as well as in Birmingham, England. A British police official said the suspects appeared to be “homegrown,? though it was not immediately clear if they were all British citizens.

Click for related contentMagnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert at Sweden’s Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies who has done extensive research on al-Qaida’s recruiting efforts in Europe, said the foiled plot in Britain “could very well have been an attempt at ’the Big One.?’
    He warned against doubting the gravity of the threat.
    “This was really serious. Police have no reason to play politics. I think one should take what they say very seriously,? he said.
    Official: Subway attacks in comparison ‘child’s play’
    Andrea Nativi, a researcher at the Rome-based Military Center for Strategic Studies, said the plot resembled the Sept. 11 attacks in ambition and was entirely different in scope from other terror schemes of recent years.
    “By comparison, the London subway attacks look like child’s play,? he said.
    Rodolfo Mendoza, a police intelligence official in the Philippines, said the “modus operandi? is the same as al-Qaida has used in the past — and he should know.
    Mendoza was among the law enforcement officers involved in thwarting a scheme by al-Qaida terror mastermind Ramzi Yousef to use liquid explosives to blow up a dozen airliners in 1995 as they flew across the Pacific to U.S. destinations, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu and New York.
    Like al-Qaida’s decade-long effort to bring down the World Trade Center in New York, first in 1993 and then, disastrously, in 2001, the latest plot to blow up commercial airliners reveals the group’s unwavering resolve, Mendoza said.
    “These people are obsessed,? he said. “They will try and try and try again to accomplish their mission.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'm not sure national gestures of thanks are in order. The planes would have been blown up over the Atlantic, and the people on them could have come from anywhere in the world, although Americans and British would, of course, be the most common casualties.

It shows MI5 are (hopefully) learning from past mistakes, which is good.

If you ask me, they've done a pretty poor job in recent years. It was less than a year ago that they started pushing for more Muslims to join the organization. That's a common sense move which probably should have started years ago.

As a distrustful libetarian, I do worry about the potentially impact on civil rights, multiculturalism and others things I like about this country, but I guess that's an inevitable consequence which is out of my hands. I value my rights, but I also value my safety, and it's good to see that safety being preserved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Thanks to the british intel, "probably the best in the world"

Shows how much I've been out of the loop now that I have
    my own apartment with literally no working tv "with reception"
    or no newspaper.

I heard about this at work and I was just stunned.

I'm glad everybody can work together on world crisis
    moments.
    -HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Yes indeed, I am very thankful for MI6 for what they've done. I hope they've been working with the CIA, if not... America keeps failing again and again. But again, indeed thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Thank you. Now I can't take a tube of toothpaste with me, or a moisturizer. Instead of taking away normal people's stuff, how about making some real changes? How about making the planes more sound, mechanically, than making them more "secure". Ninety-nine percent of the airline crashes have been because of mechanical failures, not because of people who have a different religion from most White Americans.

All these so-called 'security measures' do is let the average Joe Six-Pack feel like the airport security organizations are actually doing something to make the flight more secure.

It is, of course, just a series of ruses and lies.

Soon, they will ask that all people boarding a plane strip and submit to a cavity-search, then ride out their flight wearing crepe-paper gowns while under full anaesthesia.

You know how to hi-jack a plane? Claim you have a bomb. You don't actually have to have one, just get enough people afraid of you.

I noticed one of the items that is no longer permitted on planes was bottled water. My chemistry background understands that certain water-looking chemicals can be combined under certain conditions to acheive energetic reactions, but the real reason you can't take bottled water aboard a machine anymore is because the airlines are going broke and want you to buy their water so they can make more money.

I am getting so incensed at the reigning establishments taking away people's personal freedoms, privacies, and conveniences for the sake of some illusion of security.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

This is getting absurd. The way this is going, we're just going to have our clothes and a ticket on a plane -- after having a flashlight shone up our asses for bombs that might be there -- for the whole flight.

I think a better idea is to get rid of the corporations. Make Northwest, and American, and United and all the other big airlines die, and make air transportation a bunch of small private companies, have no "Transportation Security Administration", and if you get blown up, it's your fault.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick
    but the real reason you can't take bottled water aboard a machine anymore is because the airlines are going broke and want you to buy their water so they can make more money.
    What airlines do you fly? I've always been able to simply ask for a bottle of water, and lo and behold, a flight attendant is nice enough to bring me one.

I hear they give out great pillows as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick
    Thank you. Now I can't take a tube of toothpaste with me, or a moisturizer. Instead of taking away normal people's stuff, how about making some real changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Salmon Thief
    This is getting absurd. The way this is going, we're just going to have our clothes and a ticket on a plane -- after having a flashlight shone up our asses for bombs that might be there -- for the whole flight.
    You both have good points.

But your anger is misdirected.

Your first target should be the Islamic Fascists for forcing this issue.

Your second target should be the overwhelmingly stupid 'political correctness' movement that has forced us to treat all passengers "equally" when the accurate profile we should be searching the most is N.African, Middle Eastern, and Arabic "looking" passengers.

Of course other passengers should be searched as well, but placing the same emphasis on searching the milk bottle of a 6 month old asian infant as you do on a 22 year old Egyptian "exchange student's" water bottle is just ignorance.

This is the only War in human history where we haven't been allowed to call the enemy 'the enemy'. :wacko:
    Last edited by Joker; August 11th, 2006 at 23:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I'm as insensitive as the next guy. Heck, most people who know me are convinced I'm purposefully insensitive. That said, I can't help but feel that the points you just made, Joker, are dangerously close to racism.

Don't you think that deliberately targeting your so-called 'enemies' will needlessly agitate them further, causing more of them to attempt such attacks? Why not just be nice to them? How about sending some humanitarian aid to them?** How about not invading them? How about not villifying them at every turn? I know that if I were a terrorist, I would be less likely to 'attack' someone who is nice to me.

What is an Islamic Fascist? As far as I know, none of the terrorist organizations that the Bu$h administration has specifically targeted holds an ostensibly fascist political ideal. If anything, they are anti-political, preferring their faith guide their politics.

I don't think ethnic Arabs, Moors, or Beurs are my enemies. As a group, they haven't done anything to me. The only ones who have shown outright hostility to me (by blatantly and repeatedly lying to me) are rich, white, right-wing, evangelical Christians. Yep, you guessed it, our good friend Georgie Porgie.

Finally, I don't consider this a war at all. There has been no declaration of war. There is only one side involved with an actual army. There is no battlefield. There is no prize to be won, hence, nothing to be lost. It's a horribly-managed police effort.

** Regarding humanitarian aid, the US sends over forty times more aid to Israel than to Lebanon. I wasn't aware that the Lebanese were so well off they need aid that much less than the Israelis, whom I (apparently mistakenly) believed were one of the wealthier nations, per capita, in the world.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker
    You both have good points.

But your anger is misdirected.

Your first target should be the Islamic Fascists for forcing this issue.
    I disagree. The terrorists "win", as ignorant people like to say, when we let them control our actions. When we let them instill us with such fear that we are willing to succumb to it and take apart our freedoms in the process. You realize that this is exactly what they hope to accomplish, yes? To make us afraid? As often as they can? To keep our fear front and center?

We should ignore them. I DO NOT mean that the authorities should do nothing! But our reactions should more closely resemble those of the British in London while their city was being bombed to pieces by the Luftwaffe and Nazi rockets. What was their reaction? To do nothing but continue their lives exactly as before. Maybe it sounds stupid today, but that's exactly what they did. There are hundreds of stories that anyone can find about people walking the streets, attending dances and dinners, going on dates, while air raid sirens and explosions were happening around them. People died, but by resolving to preserve their freedom and self-assurance, they were demonstrating to the Nazis that they could not be intimidated.

We, here in the US, are more than happy to accomodate "the terrorists" and act like frightened bullies, lashing out at anything, just to prove how unafraid we really are.

Well, that rings mighty hollow. And all it does, beyond prove to "the terrorists" that their tactics are effective, is that we like being controlled. And we're more than willing to give up freedom for the illusion of security.

I hate to pull out this old chestnut, but it is true. "Those who would sacrifice freedom for temporary security deserve neither." Ben Franklin. What a nutcase that guy was, huh?

I say laugh at the terrorists' pathetic attempt to bully us. I for one am not scared. I'll fly! I'll go to NY and stand in tall buildings!

No, we should fear our power-grabbing government, instead.
    Your second target should be the overwhelmingly stupid 'political correctness' movement that has forced us to treat all passengers "equally" when the accurate profile we should be searching the most is N.African, Middle Eastern, and Arabic "looking" passengers.
    Show me someone who can accurately identify the racial types you're talking about and I'll show you my Mexican friend Jose who is constantly stopped because he "looks Arab". Or my best friend Felicia -- 100% white, European-derived American -- who looks "Lebanese", and so is constantly harassed at airports.

For that matter, nobody has said anything about the race of the arrested suspects in Britain, other than to say that they were "home-grown". Not foreigners at all! For all we know, they are disaffected whites who are happy to feel the power of terrorism themselves. Spend too much time focusing on brown people and you ignore the horror that is within. Have we already forgotten Oklahoma City? And the Idaho, Montana, and Michigan militias?
    This is the only War in human history where we haven't been allowed to call the enemy 'the enemy'. :wacko:
    That's because this is not a war! War is fought between armies. War is fought over control of land and other resources. You cannot fight a war against a phantasmal, ill-defined, "terrorist threat"! All you can do is turn your spy agencies and police forces against them! They are criminals, not combatants.

I'm all behind international cooperation here, but for f__k's sake! There is no evidence that has shown that military action has ever defeated terrorists! In fact, all of history proves exactly the opposite! In Vietnam, the US military kicked the ass of the Viet Cong in every single military engagement there was. All of them. We inflicted orders of magnitude more casualties on them than they did on us. And yet we could never win. Never.

Repeat the procedure in 1980s Afghanistan, where the USSR was the 800 pound gorilla that could never kill all the puny little harassing ants that were Osama Bin Ladin's resistance fighters. <infinite_sarcasm>So glad we helped them out there.</infinite_sarcasm>

Or how about Israel's attempt to squelch the terrorism in Palestine.

And so on and so forth. When will anybody learn?! Has any of our recent military action diminished the threat of terrorism? No! Ignore the rosy, Orwellian press statements, and you'll discover that our own military assessments of Iraq state that terrorism has only grown, that hatred of America has only expanded, and as a direct result of our military bungling.

Yes, we have an enemy. And yes, it wants to hurt us. Yes, there are religious fundamentalists who want to see the American way of life die. But the ones I'm afraid of are largely white, upper-class, Christian fundamentalists, and living right here. These are the bastards that are really destroying my country.

In any case, you can't get rid of "the Islamic fascists" by bombing them. Bombs are only the seeds of more terrorism.

The so-called "Christian" fascists currently in charge of our govt are the ones that are making things worse. They are the ones who defined this as a "war". Too bad they forgot all about "loving your enemy" and "turning the other cheek". I guess the New Testament, and the Gospels, and everything Jesus ever preached, is less important than the petulant God with the red right hand of vengeance out of the Old Testament.
    Last edited by number6; August 11th, 2006 at 23:58.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast