Is Political correctness now going over the top!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Is Political correctness now going over the top!!

Before I start, I do understand that we have a thread on this subject, but I thought I would start a new one, as I have something disturbing to report.

Listening to BBC Radio 1's news in my car today I heard, that after a letter had been sent to OFCOM (television standards people in the UK), Boomerang, the childrens TV channel is having to re-edit all old episodes of Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones, the Jetsons and Scooby Doo to remove all traces of cigarettes from them!!

I mean really. I understand that the youth of today is impressionable, but I can't believe that we are meant to swallow the fact that if a child sees Tom &/or Jerry smoking, they will light up!! By the same premise we could stop them dropping anvils, or smacking each othe with mallets. :wacko:

I grew up with the same cartoons, and I am relatively well adjusted and don't smoke?! Am I the only one who's last nerve is being got at by this Nanny state/world, we are beginning to live in!!

New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I agree with you, though I don't like the word political correctness. I think that word is too
    tainted by unwholesome associations with Daily Mail readers who say things like 'I'm not a racist, but..' for most people to take it seriously.

But, on the subject of cigarettes in old cartoons. Well, that's an interesting one. Let's not forget though that whoever wrote the letter is a member of the public. He or she obviously feels strongly on this issue, and they deserve to be taken as seriously as any of us.

What they don't deserve is to have their wishes instantly pandered to because of current social agenda. Would OFCOM react if a Christian parent wrote to them demanding the removal of all images of the devil from old cartoons, or to have trousers drawn onto Tom and Jerry to hide their nakedness? I'm sure that happens, I'm sure OFCOM puts those kinds of requests through the shredder because they are not 'mainstream issues.'

Now personally, I believe in free media, and that means giving the media the ability to raise a middle finger to anyone who doesn't like its programming and tell them to switch to another channel if they have a problem with it. Some people don't believe that, some people believe the media has a responsibility to protect them from what they watch. Essentially, much as that doesn't make sense to me, it's a valid viewpoint, and I have to respect it.

I just don't feel like that. I say expose children to violence, smoking, nudity, whatever you want, then expose them to the consequences of violence, smoking and so forth. Let them see the world as adults, and hopefully, in time they'll become adults. A lot of people never do.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; August 22nd, 2006 at 18:26.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

What do you mean by "now going over the top"?
    I have always believed that political correctness is the biggest load of rubbish ever conceived, in order to cater to the pansy-faced, mush-brained, goody-two-shoes, whining, socially-rejected, social-worker wannabes who couldn't think their way out of a wet paper bag.
    It has ruined society as a whole. It used to be that people learned to accept that others didn't like them for whatever reason, and ignored them. If someone insulted you, you insulted them right back, and felt better for it. It supposedly encouraged people respect everyone else, but all it does is encourage people to sue and ***** and moan about every little percieved slight done to them.

I am probably one of the most politically incorrect people I know. In part this is a rebellion against the stupidity that is political correctness, but it is also because, in general, people are idiots. I am always happy to meet a person who isn't an idiot, but it's safer to assume that until they prove otherwise, they are.

That's not to say that I don't respect people, or positions of authority, I do; but I'm not going to give anyone respect who has proven they aren't worth the toilet paper I use.

Possibly the biggest piece of nonsense in the whole political correctness scheme is the notion of positive descrimination. This rubbish says that even though it's not right to give preference to someone based on the majority stereotype, it's perfectly acceptable to give preference to someone based on a minority stereotype. So, you can't not hire someone because they've got purple skin, and instead hire someone who has the qualifications; but it is alright to hire someone just because they do have purple skin, instead of the person with the qualifications because they won't have any trouble getting another job.
    This in turn has lead to covert descrimination where a pitifully minor reason is given to cover the boss' legal butt to prevent litigation.

Political Correctness is the social version killing off the strong lions to allow the weak ones to breed. All it does is destroy any chance of proper growth. Or to give it a WH40K feel, it's like the 'Nid's deciding that they don't need a hard carapace because it's too heavy, or they don't need sharp claws or teeth because they can just suck bacteria up through a straw. It's useless.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Well in my opinion political correctness is a good thing but lately it has been going a bit too far. Um well I have seen the same cartoons and the same shows as the ones being edited and yes i have done a lot of things that i shouldnt have done but dont regret. However TOM AND JERRY didnt make me smoke or do anyof those other things. It was because i was curious and i have not developed any bad habbits from them except for two but I dont consider these to be bad habits. :hump: I am pretty sure that i wasnt brain washed into doing those things from tom and jerry. O well the world is a crazy place, maybe when my our generation comes to power we can fix all that is messed up with the world lol what a headache :wacko:

OO good analogy i like how u tied it to 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Before you read the rest of this post, I want to make it known that I too think editing these cartoons for said reasons is wrong, and silly. Children can indeed be influenced, and can be influential to parents, but isn't that how we made them over time?

People started smoking before cigarettes appeared on TV. Kids started it at an increasingly early ages, because they thought it was 'cool', and people would like them for it. The tv, while quite influential, had and stil has little to do with that. Why? It's very simple. Smoking has become such a casual thing that it is seen as normal. And when something is normal, kids don't feel strongly about it one way or the other, untill they try it or start thinking about it.

In the end, I think that smoking behavior depends on the environment a child grows up in. If both parents smoke, chances are the child will too. If neither parent smokes, chances are the child won't either. If in a group of friends the majority (or all of them) smoke or start smoking, chances are the child in question will too. Again, if few or none do, said child probably won't either. Why is this? Because social status and interaction has a far greater impact on a child than any cartoon could possibly have. This goes for just about everything.
    Why does one child buy a gadget? Because he likes it. Why does the second one buy it? Because he's tried it from the first child, and now wants his own. Why does everybody else buy it? Because child 1 and 2 happen to have a higher sochal status and spend a lot of time with said gadget.

So why does one person smoke? becaus he likes it. Why does the 2nd smoke? Because he's tried a cigarette from the first person, and likes it too. Why does the rest smoke? because they see the other two smoking and liking it, and they wanted to try because maybe then they would also gain a higher social status (although with the current anti-smoke campaigns that's out of the question). So unless they actively start encouraging smoking in such cartoons, nobody, or at least extremely few, will start smoking because of them...
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I think censorship is on a whole bad.

Because tom and jerry for example are an entertainement medium, i feel they should be protected under freedom of speach laws. Unlike an advertisement for a protuct proven to decrease life exceptancy.

However, i do think its a good idea to have anti smoking propaganda.

I know servial times in my groups of friends it seemed like everyone smoked. And while i a smoke once in awhile, i never allowed myself to get addicted.

Pehaps years of just say no campiangs did a little something.

Although im sure most of it was my parents, the thing that was most helpful about those comericals is it gave evidance.

Like x Number of people die from smoking.

Its much easier to not accept a cigarrette when pressured to smoke with ' no way man, that **** will kill you' then, saying something else.

Anyway, this is off topic.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; August 28th, 2006 at 01:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I posted something on a similar topic in the Immigration thread today. About how a local government here in Australia took down public Chrismas decorations because they thought it would be politically incorrect to offend foreigners living here... what a load of sh*t...
    now THAT is political correctness gone too far..

I totally agree with mpdscott. Especially his 'lion' metaphor. Us being the strong ones..
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'm not a great fan of any kind of censorship. Not the one forced upon you from governments or something you chose yourself out of fear of being misunderstood as having a viewpoint you don't.
    Political correctness is often only a kind of flatness or cowardism.

If you have something to say, please do.
    But then again, if it will hurt people, make sure that you are aware of it before you say it and say it only because you really mean it and feels that it's important enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti
    Us being the strong ones..
    "Us"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Um yeah i think basically it is a load of garbage. Even in our own american military affirmative action is in place.

NOW if i was in the military i would want the person in charge of me to be the best qualified not just get the job because he is of a minority.

Personally i have not experienced affirmative action, but i would be pissed if i lost a job to someone who was less qualified.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mpdscott
    Possibly the biggest piece of nonsense in the whole political correctness scheme is the notion of positive descrimination. This rubbish says that even though it's not right to give preference to someone based on the majority stereotype, it's perfectly acceptable to give preference to someone based on a minority stereotype. So, you can't not hire someone because they've got purple skin, and instead hire someone who has the qualifications; but it is alright to hire someone just because they do have purple skin, instead of the person with the qualifications because they won't have any trouble getting another job.
    I'm not sure how this works in your country, but we have the same "rule" in Sweden. However, it is very important to stress the fact that the "minority-person" still must qualify for the job. It's not like they get the job only for belonging to a minority.
    This is also a matter that seems very strange on the individual level, but when you scale things up a bit it all makes a whole lot of more sense (IMHO).
    In my country near nobody hires immigrants, many of them are unemployed. This leads to poverty and hopelessness-which in turn leads to alienation which may lead to crime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast