Learning Photoshop - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Learning Photoshop

Hey all,

I've just invested in a graphics tablet to go with some of my CAD and image software, and i've decided to explore photoshop in a bit more depth. I just wondered if anyone here could point me in the direction of a helpful tutorial site, especially for the painting side of things. I didn't come up with anything special on google.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Well, I am not going to say I'm an expert, but since I'm aiming to be a Graphic Designer and having to learn Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign to the point whyere I "have to know the programs extremely well" to get by in the graphic design business world, I been told by numerous of people this. The best and possible way to learn programs like photoshop is to experiment with it and do various small, big, or whatever projects you create on your own to help you learn what every single option in photoshop offers. By doing this you will learn what each effect, filter, etc. does.

For me I still have no idea what everything does in photoshop, but learned a few major things in illustrator.
    Last edited by Nemy; November 30th, 2006 at 10:07.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Psychotic, Soda Addicted, Level-Headed Christian Friendly, Sexy Japanese Girl of LO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Me, I prefer to use the Corel Painter programs for my tablet; Painter gives such a nice real-media look that I quite love, and I can definitely recommend it if you’re ever looking for an additional program to supplement Photoshop. So, like Nemy, I am far from an expert in Photoshop, but I do know my way around a few online art communities, so I've dug up a few Photoshop tutorials for you; hopefully they can provide the information you're looking for.

First, you might want to optimise your Photoshop program, as explained in the tutorial found here. I would also recommend having a look around the DeviantART homepage in general, which provides many different tutorials; I’ve done a search for ‘Photoshop tutorials’ and came up with quite a lot, here, but you can narrow down your search if there’s anything in particular you’re looking for. Getting a DeviantART gallery for your future drawings might also appeal to you; that way people can offer comments, critique, and help if you’d like a bit of advice.

Similarly, I find that the ConceptArt forum, found here, is a great resource for inspiration and help when I inevitably get stuck with a specific image. ConceptArt also has tutorials, although you might have to register to see all of them.

Finally, if you have high aspirations, I would recommend taking a look at the ImagineFX workshops, found here; not for beginners in the field of digital drawing, they nonetheless provide plenty of inspiration and examples of what can be done with the digital media.

Also, don’t forget to post some of your art here on Librarium Online; we’d love to see it! Incidentally, I will soon be starting up a sketch group in the Art subforum for those of the members interested in 2d art and wanting to get a chance to practise and/or looking for ideas and critique. I’ll give you a head’s up when it’s launched, if you’re interested.

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Thanks guys! That really helps, I should have my tablet by monday. Its a Trust V1200 if anyone's interested, apparently a very good entry level budget tablet that can stand up to the cheaper Wacoms.
    WILL J!~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Will J View Post
    Thanks guys! That really helps, I should have my tablet by monday. Its a Trust V1200 if anyone's interested, apparently a very good entry level budget tablet that can stand up to the cheaper Wacoms.
    Glad to be of help to a fellow artist. ^_^ Though I must admit that I am not familiar with the Trust tablets at all, being a Wacom user myself; however, I looked up your brand on Google and I must say it looks nice and big. Found out that there are several retail stores in my area too, so let me know how it performs, in case I need to upgrade to a larger tablet than my current Wacom at some point – it’s a Graphire 2 and I love it immensely, but the active area is only about the size of a size A6 paper, which can be somewhat hard on the wrist during prolonged drawing sessions.

Also, I just looked up the price of the latest Corel Painter edition online, and apparently the same Education Edition for students that I bought is still available on Amazon at only some £50 – that’s very cheap considering what you get for your money, so if you’d like a real classy art program (mind you, art, not photo) then I can only recommend Painter. I’ve been through Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, and Corel Painter Classic + IX, and I by far prefer Painter, having used it for the past four years now. It goes very well with a tablet, especially if you have some experience with real media (as figure painters are bound to have. )

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Yes I may invest in Painter IX, alot of the images done in photoshop look a bit "photoshoppy" if you know what I mean :rolleyes:! Plus, painter really simulates real media, which i'm used to working with .

I'll let you know how the tablet performs.
    WILL J!~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

*Can't quite believe the sheer awsomeness* OMG OMG!!!

That tablet feels BETTER than the £1000 Wacom A3 tablet I've used before! Its so natural and the pressure is nicley sensitive.
    WILL J!~

+ Reply to Thread