Has the Enhanced Forum Become Too Elitist? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Has the Enhanced Forum Become Too Elitist?

Hi all EF-LO'ers,

First, please allow me to preface with this: I realize, of course, that I am by no means the most active posting-king on this board, but I do lurk like crazy. I nearly always have a browser window to LO open at work and I do my LO thing when I've got some down-time at the job-site. (Our recent hack-attack made me realize how boring my job really is. )

That said, I am getting the vibe lately that the Enhanced community is becoming a little...insular. Among other things, the debate over how high to raise the bar for entry to the Enhanced Forum.

I can understand the comfort in 'knowing' most of the people here by their avatars, sig-banners and the way they write. I, myself, take a little pride in the feeling that others can recognize me as such. We have our own comfortable little lounge on the web where we can kick back and discuss things without getting in high tempers over it. (...except when talking politics with Joker. Mercy, I don't think he and I could agree on a pizza topping if we really had to. :lol: But it's still all in good fun, though.)

Should we be more vigilant, however, in ensuring that we don't take the Enhanced Forum thing too far? Should be be wary that our badge of commitment to the community doesn't become a mark of inclusion? As the Rep-economy continues its rapid inflation, will the price of entry become so high as to be moot and result in Enhanced status being something that can only be gained through the sponsorship of a current member?

(I can envision a thread in the future: "User Jiminy_Cricket meets all the criteria and User Quick has forwarded his nomination. Shall we promote Jiminy?" where everyone then looks back and discusses the merits of his postings before putting it to a vote.)

(Of the nearly twenty thousand members, two thousand of which are regularly active, I think there are only around two hundred and fifty who qualitfy for Enhanced Forum status. I'm sure the actual stats are around here somewhere.)

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

As for the debate over raising the bar, here's what I see: User misternewguy has 98 posts of varying quality and a rep of 7, while user misterlongtimeposter has 399 posts, is known by the other members on the boards he frequents as a quality member, and has a rep of 3.

Absurd inequalities like that grant some people entry to Enhanced when they really haven't earned it. And once in a while, we have that person who enters the enhanced forum for the first time, goes hogwild with the novelty of it, and nearly spams the whole place with shoddy posts.

I don't have a problem with raising the bar higher.

My first rule of entry would be this: Users who can't operate a shift key never make enhanced. :rolleyes:
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

There was a discussion about raising the Enhanced status requirements? Must've missed that one....

I can't speak to how anybody else got their enhanced status, but I feel like it's not necessarily that easy to earn it. IIRC, I got about 1/3 of my 1st 100 from a couple of rep boosts from a couple of highly reputable members. But the majority came in small chunks -- rarely more than, say, 5 pts each -- over more than a year and, I dunno, something on the order of 300-500 posts, I think. All rep-earning posts I made were in the Daemonhunter and Skaven forums, all for gaming-related advice.

Seemed fair to me. Took a year, several hundred posts, and numerous advice-related small-pt rep boosts from various, mostly unenhanced, members to earn "Enhanced" status myself.

I guess what I'm getting at is the notion that maybe what you're really asking after is the quality of that first chunk of rep that leads to "enhanced". Is it usually awarded based on merit, or is it too easy to earn?

IMHO, I think that anybody that can earn 100 rep pts probably deserves it, too. The status quo appears to be working fine, as far as I can see.

The only thing I might change is the rep power boost you get per 90 days membership. Earning 4 free rep power pts per year, just because you're breathing, doesn't seem quite right.
    Last edited by number6; November 7th, 2006 at 23:09.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I think earning 4 rep power per year is fair enough, reward for longtime membership and all that. By its very nature an enhanced subforum is going to have an ivory tower nature to it in any ways thats the whole point. The benifits of the enhanced forum is that you can discuss topics which can (and occassionally have) get very heated you don't want people who have a inclination to spam or flame in here for that reason membership should err on the side of caution.

Prehaps one problem is that in the normal forums enhanced members get credited with more respect than they prehaps should and thus build up even more rep, whether this is a system we want to encourage I don't know. It has its advantages and disadvantages/
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I think, it's simply like society really - and LO is indeed a society, albeit a virtual one.

I think that the hacking event actually pushed regular users together a lot more than normal. People realised what they missed, and may have gone to other forums, then when LO came back online, it was like, "hey [------], it's good to see you and read your posts again!"

It made me realise that on LO i had people not only who I respect, but people I might even consider friends. Whether they regard me as a friend or not is a different can of worms all together.

This feeling of familiarity leads to more usage. The more you use LO, the more people you meet and 'get to know'.

Suddenley, you can skit around from various forums to forums quoting people from LO and having little running jokes and stuff. Referring to people by ridiculously shortened names expecting people to know who you're talking about.

This is very similar to a real life society - where everyone is talking and chatting away.

For a new person to join, it can be a bit daunting - once again like reality.
    Shy people won't know where to start and will be scared to interrupt two people who obviously know each other.
    Head strong people might dive in with a harsh post which leads to a negative rep bomb as they've insulted someone who's popular.

So, i don't think enhanced members have been elite, BUT i do think we can all try harder to look after new people and realise that, even though they may only have 1 post, they might still be an expert and the like.
    Last edited by Karmoon; November 8th, 2006 at 00:41.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I think the Elitist attitude came about when the whole notion of raising the bar came to being.

As mostly enhanced members were posting to those threads, the non-enhanced members felt like they didn't have a say and felt resentful.

Eventually, speak of Elitism arose and there was a small point where there was polarization amongst members.

I chose to ignore the threads after it became near flame wars. I felt that it was a bad decision in the first place, and I didn't want to get too involved.

So, in short, the Enhanced forums isn't elitist, it's just how it is viewed by some members. IMO, it's all just opinion.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Personally, I think the "elitist" claim is a little... well, it's not based on anything substantial. I haven't noticed an elitist sort of group running wild about the forums, but instead a helpful and kind group of long-time, respected members doing their thing - i.e., helping new members, providing with valuable discussion, etc.

As I said in the other discussions, the bar does, however, need to be raised. As rep power raises, so should requirements for Enhanced, I think. It's easier to get Enhanced, due to the rep power increases - look at my own rep power if you need proof. All it takes is what, two members with power like mine and another member, and bam, near-instant Enhanced status. From three members. That's not building a reputation, that's having a good post and getting repped for it by powerful people.

Just my take on it. Most of my thoughts can be found in the other threads, so not too much point posting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Like I said, it was just a vibe that I'd picked up on. Not from everyone, mind you, just a nagging feeling. I really just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one feeling it. I'm glad I'm not, because that means I'm not nuts.

Maybe the term 'elitist' is incorrect. I'd blame my English, but I think that would be misconstrued as a cop-out excuse. (I can't hide behind my accent in cyberspace)

How about, "the members of the Enhanced Forum are very comfortable with their own private 'room' to be able to retreat to if they want to, and they are loathe to readily let others into their cozy haven."?

I feel that when people say that the mechanic to become Enhanced is flawed, they are actually saying that they don't want potentially unworthy people in their comfort zone.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    I feel that when people say that the mechanic to become Enhanced is flawed, they are actually saying that they don't want potentially unworthy people in their comfort zone.
    Do you?

The whole point of the Enhanced forum, in my eyes, is to separate the "good" members from the "bad, almost good" and "good but not here long enough" members. Out of the three, only the last one should be eventually able to get into the Enhanced forum, but as it stands, a single good post and a few other "whatever" posts could get them all the rep and post count they need to get into Enhanced, whether they're actually worthy of it or not.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

I agree. I haven't found very many interesting posts the last few times. I think its the influx of member turning this into more of a general disscussion thread. I believe it shold go up to 250. and any body under 150 should be dropped or be forced to show their case for staying.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast