U.S. Congressional Elections - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

U.S. Congressional Elections

Hey guys! Long time no... enhancedness...
    Anyways! In yesterdays Congressional elections, the republicans lost the house of reps, and also the senate. For me this seems to be a change for the better.

What do you think guys?

Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I'm glad there's somewhat of a change, but I don't like the idea that the presidency may fall over also. It just seems to me that things go a bit wrong when one party controls too much of the power.

Regardless there definately needed to be a change since the "republican revolution" it's just that the more I study American politics the more it makes me think no side has the right answers.
    Last edited by mephistophales; November 9th, 2006 at 08:52.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

Agreed!

Here in Australia, the goverment controls both the house of reps, and the senate. Not good - they can pass any law they want.

That is one think I'll give the US - the way their congress is designed is quite good - 2 years at most can anyone party hold on to power before the populace gets to vote again.

However, I'd still like to see a Democrat President, purely because my memory of Clinton is... faded. I was like 10, ok?

I'm glad the Democrats are doing something usefull as opposition. Our Labour Party is *u*s*e*l*e*s*s.

I don't agree with them, but I don't agree with the Liberals either. Oh well... Greens for me!
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Yes definately. Although I usually vote republican I'm inclined to go with the democrats this time. Clinton's presidency was one reason I'm unsure that any side has the answers.

He's hailed by political commentators and comedians as "America's first black president" but if you do your research he really put the final nails in the coffin of many urban renewal programs, which would have helped several minority groups. Although overall I would say he left the economy in a somewhat positive state.

But at any rate there definately needs to be a change from republican power (we certainly wouldn't want a bush dynasty, that'd be a bit much, Jeb bush, etc.). A shift in ideals always goes a long way to promoting democracy.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yossanrion View Post
    Agreed!

Here in Australia, the goverment controls both the house of reps, and the senate. Not good - they can pass any law they want.
    Hmm in Britian the Labout party has a pretty secure majority and can (and has) get through pretty much what it wants, though as Bliar begins his death throws things look a bit shakier. It would be interesting to see what democratic countries have got pretty much one party in charge.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

You see the thing about Australia though is that John Howard is admittedely a very smart politician. George Bush was an idiot. Howard has done something identical to Bush, he had complete majority and used it to bring in all these crap laws. The IR reforms means workers now have ****all rights from their employers.

The interesting thing about our mini-bush though is that he is a strong favourite to win the next 20 elections. Even after promising that he would leave after his next term (the one before this one). Maybe its the Labour parties fault.

As for the actual George Bush though that was hardly surprising. What is it? about 1 million Americans vote out of the hundreds of millions out there? I couldn't care less what you people do to your system as the only ones that vote are the damn people working for the political parties.

I find it funny more people voted on American Idol than your last election...

PS: Is it true your national anthem has the word rocket bomb in it and part of it sounds like a popular christmas carol? sorry we were discussing it at school today.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner there's no more Bush's anywhere near the White House, the better off the world will be. Think about it, both of the George's have gone to war in the Middle East, and for all intents and purposes, achieved nothing but destruction. Sure Bill was a bit of a joke, a bit of a Jerry-Springer President, but at least he didn't start any fights he couldn't finish.....
    The Bush family has been bred and raised on Guns and War and the delusion of their own superiority, but never taken part in any of it. They wouldn't know reality if it kicked them in the nads with a large steel boot and a letter of intention.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

206 (x6)

As for the actual George Bush though that was hardly surprising. What is it? about 1 million Americans vote out of the hundreds of millions out there? I couldn't care less what you people do to your system as the only ones that vote are the damn people working for the political parties.

I find it funny more people voted on American Idol than your last election
    But then again, the election is not televised, nor is it appealing to people who are our age. A substanional amount of who voted in Idol, most likely could not vote in the acutal elections, due to age.

People vote when they can. Hence why sometimes elections are held at certain times. Lets say, that a republican wanted to win an election. He, or she, would want the election held on a working day, during work hours. Most people who vote for republicans, I'm guessing would be able to vote then (uper class don't have day jobs) - even middle class people to get time off. The democrats, on the other hand would do the inverse - so all the lower classes will vote for them, they need the time to vote.

3 Hundred Million Americans. I think about 1/3 or the population voted lasted Presidential Election, but that might just be my head.

Also, in Australia with our Compulsary voting... is it really that great? I mean, people don't vote anyways, and donkey vote, which can screw up the system.

PS: Is it true your national anthem has the word rocket bomb in it and part of it sounds like a popular christmas carol? sorry we were discussing it at school today.
    I guess it could sound like a Christmas Carol, purely because its been heard so often. But the "lyrics":
    O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
    O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
    O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen thro’ the mist of the deep,
    Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep.
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
    In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream
    ’Tis the star-spangled banner. Oh! long may it wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
    A home and a country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has washed out their foul footstep’s pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation,
    Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n-rescued land
    Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto—“In God is our trust.?
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I'm pretty sure the bolded words are in referance to just, well, being darn cool at wars. I mean, say, 50 years back from when this was written, they were fighting the Brits for independance! Why not sound like you wanna fight to keep that?

Gosh, I'm starting to sound like a Yank.

~Yoss
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I hate to be a pessimist on this one, but I really fail to see how having democrats in congress makes the situation better. Having a congress in opposition to the president usually just makes the whole thing worse as the government becomes almost completely inresponsive to the issues at hand while congress squabbles with the president over sematics of laws just to prove the point that they aren't "rubber stamping" everything. I'll take bad decisions over no decisions any day as you can at least do something with bad ones.

But I guess this is better, so that in 2 years time, when nothing has really changed, the Democrats can stop bitching and moaning about how they could do a better job and come up with an actual strategy for a change that lets voters know where they stand and how they plan to execute it.

I just find it amusing that ppl who were concerned about the economy voter more Democrat than Republican even though the economy has been ressurected from severe lows by republican policy. I guess the Dems will do what Clinton did and take credit for a good economy they had nothing to do with.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

The only positive I see coming out of the election is that the neocons are no longer in power. The only one left standing is Bush & Friends. Most "real" conservatives, conservatives in the mold of Paul Craig Roberts, Barry Goldwater, even Pat Buchanan loathe the Bushco neocons at least as much as any "liberals" do. And for good reason; the record speaks for itself, I think.

That said, I'm not particularly happy that our only option for correction is the Dems. Two parties is not enough. The large diversity of voices that should be heard never do in such a system. And, as recent US history aptly demonstrates, the political discourse and even entire parties -- and therefore, the entire country -- are too easily hijacked by a single, small minority.

IMHO, American "democracy" is no such thing, and is systemically broken. I'd like to see the entire thing scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up. I become more anarchist with each passing election cycle. Each successive one exposes yet more dark corners of corruption and incompetence, and the overall levels of each seem to be constantly increasing.

I may need to change jobs ... just to preserve my sanity. Definitely looking forward to this weekend, most of which will be spent playing 40K and WHFB at my friend's GW shop, where he's a manager. (Sweet deals, here I come!)
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast