*PHOTO HEAVY*Photo's That Define A Era! Competition! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

*PHOTO HEAVY*Photo's That Define A Era! Competition!

Howzit! So all to continue on my now dead enhanced thread, i have decided to create a small competition of sorts. Using the entries from that thread , as well as any the unenhanced portion of LO might enter, we shall all take a vote to see which photo really drives home its point.

So now i shall show you the photos from my origanial thread.

SilverMane

This picture displays Hector Pieterson one of the first dead at a riot against a law forcing all pupils to study in (mostly) Afrikaans during the apartheid era. The riot soon escalated and
    and the Apartheid police opened fire on the crowd.

The first shot was Hastings Ndlovu a 15 year old.( He later slipped into a coma and died in a clinic)

But the most publicised and first to die was Hector Pieterson a 13 year old boy who is
    now a symbol for the brutality of Apartheid.

The photo is taken by Sam Nzima and portrays 18 year old Mbuyisa Makhubo ( who was later harassed by police until he fled to Nigeria, last known sign of him is in 1978 he is presumed dead from malaria) and Hector's sister Antoinette Pieterson carrying the boy to Sam's car where he was rushed to a clinic and was DoA.

Ever since 1994 (the first democratic elections that were held where Nelson Mandela became president) June 16 has become a national holiday remembering our past.

And fittingly it is known as Youth Day

Finally here is the photo!

chemicalcaveman

Right my picture is from one of the most important times in Irish modern History and its of Dublin City Centre after the Easter Rising of 1916.

Ireland had always had a fairly troublesome time with the British Empire and the 1916 Easter Rising was the last full scale uprising before the actual achievement of the Republic in 1922 with the "War of Independence"
    Irish rebels had taken several important positions in the city the most important being the General Post Office (GPO) on O'Connell St. The English forces were not ready for this as it was Easter Weekend and although forces were slow to mobilise the situtation was soon fairly bad in the GPO, made worse by the English sailing gunboats up the river Liffey and firing directly on the GPO. The rebels held out for two days before being arrested and sixteen leaders were then executed for treason.

This picture shows the remains of Dublin City Centre the day after the uprising began.

Joker

Trinity: Trinity test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May God have mercy on our souls!

SilverMane

It shows FW De Klerk the last president of Apartheid and Nelson Mandela shaking hands,
    although not on the exact time of the change it shows Apartheid changing to Democracy.
    On their left is modern President Thabo Mbeki.

Diggums Hammer

Here are a couple from the Vietnam war that started to change a generations thinking.
    The picture is worth much more than a thousand words sometimes!

Hex

I think that Einstein started an era of his own.

SilverMane

Blood Diamonds.

We all know about it, this picture is from where one group of rebels went through a village cutting off arms to scare the villagers and others to work for the diamonds.

Rork

Probably the iconic image of the British Army in the Falkland Islands. Forced to march across the island rather than use helicopters (which were sunk still on board ship), it's a typical testament to the British fighting on against the odds.

Doomthought

Da Mighty Camel

Reichstag, Berlin.
    It's a set up though, since the documenters weren't around when they did it during combat.

Rork

Since we're on a WWII kick . "I have in my hand a piece of paper..."
    You can't give the bad guy anything, no matter what you think it will do for you.

SilverMane

This is from the Oklahoma bombing if I'm correct..

onlainari

The world has changed forever.

Nagato

Iraqi mother with dead child, from the war on Iraq, 2003.

Rork

SilverMane

Challanger Disaster

number6

Hi Buzz!

SilverMane

Here is a picture of Delville Wood, its a German trench in what was once a forest.

Doomthought

Couple of seconds before the assassination of JFK.

Dodge

Whereas new diesel and electric trains are still around it was the steam train that has been the backbone in many countries. The steam trains still around today are mostly used for tourists, but the legacy of the steam train is one of building countries, most notible and famous, its accreditation to building America.

SilverMane

Nagasaki,

Dodge

Everyone should recognise it, the start of an era of propaganda, conspiracies and more warfare.

Lictorinthegrass

I believe this describes the era. It shows that change is envitable.

Caluin

Probably the single most important photograph ever taken by mankind.
    To help you understand why it's important, if you've never seen it before - every single smear, smudge, and point of light in that picture is a galaxy. Not a star, not a planet - but a galaxy. And they're roughly 78 billion light years away from us.

macewind

Some powerful pictures there. Heres one often forgotten about. This wasnt an attack against government office's (The pentagon) or commerce (World trade center) This was an attack against the public directly and served no purpose other than to kill civilians

And also a couple to show that we have enough problems without war! Tsunami and Katrina.

And that is it for now, if you would like to add to it, please PM me and i will add you to it.

VOTING IS OPEN!

In order to vote, all you need to do is post the image/or referance to it in your post,
    aswell as why you think so.

Lets get this thing going!

Last edited by SilverMane; November 13th, 2006 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Clown
    Aren't we just the popular boy! Your title should read 'stud muffin of LO'!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Ahhh... too many photos... I really didn't expect that SilverMane...

You're revealing portions of the secret Enhanced forum, something that you should not be doing - oh well. Anyways, this is a good idea, so I shall vote for myse... you. My vote goes to SilverMane for your moving pictures, especially the one with the people's arms chopped off. It's horrible what people will do.

http://www.zreportage.com/graphics/b...ighres/006.jpg
    Whoops doesn't work, but we can see it in your post.

Hey I shouldn't really be voting for the host!

I really need to get out of this bad humour mood.

Hex
    Last edited by Hex; November 14th, 2006 at 20:22.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x3)

Aye i see your point, however that thread could have just as easily been here i can imagine.
    It is not like we are discussing politics or our other thread "How to keep people we dont like out MK2". So i see no problem to be honest.

As for my vote, i shall not vote for my own picture so i shall go for Diggums Hammer,
    there are many good shots though, it was a tough choice.

Oh and Hex, i see you couldn't stay away! Welcome Back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I think that this needs to stay in Enhanced. Many of those pictures aren't suitable for a PG crowd, which the main forum strives to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

I vote for Hex and Einstein.

A dawning of a new age epitomised by da man with a wholly memorable visage, as it were.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x3)

So Caluin, do i remove the whole thing or just specific images?

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I'm tempted to agree with Einstein, but for the fact that it was all theoretical.
    Trinity was the application of that theory (in a broad way), and at that point, everything changed.
    Trinity was the point at which mankind said "Screw you, I AM the Devil"
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mpdscott View Post
    I'm tempted to agree with Einstein, but for the fact that it was all theoretical.
    Trinity was the application of that theory (in a broad way), and at that point, everything changed.
    Trinity was the point at which mankind said "Screw you, I AM the Devil"
    I'm in my final year studying maths at uni, and one of my modules is relativity. Einstein's genius seems unparallelled, it's really quite remarkable.

Ok a late entry from me, if i may.

Ok i know it's not a photo, but hey. This guy is basically the don of western music, even today

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    So Caluin, do i remove the whole thing or just specific images?
    Why remove any of them? Just leave them here. This is the sort of thing that Enhanced was designed for, so it makes sense that it belongs here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Rork

Concorde, cutting travel times to a fraction of those normaly experianced was a great achievement, the design is iconic and it's a real shame that the Oil Crisis put paid to a fleet of them.

It showed that Britain and France, fallen countries were still cpable of greatness and co-operation.

The dawn of the Nuclear age is also pertinent. And as my Grandfather and Father served in the Faulklands that image holds significance to me.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)