divided classrooms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

divided classrooms

i have to write a paper for english, and it's due tomorrow. i figured i'd ask you about your opinions on sex-divided classrooms. not racially divided, or anything of that sort. according to studies, in divided classrooms, girls(young women:yes: ) perform better because of less stress. doesn't say anything about boys, though. but, pros and cons lists, then you all can argue.

Last edited by Sammy the Squib; November 26th, 2006 at 20:50.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Apparently boys perform better in mixed groups while girls perform better in single sxed groups.

In terms of group excercies having mixed groups is useful for the real world where you will have to work with the oppsite sex.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

yes! a Post! thank you for this! Sainthood is upon you! i like exclamation points!

but seriously, this has been a proven fact. and if people are in a divided group, they might have a hard time assimilating into the real world where you fraternize withthe opposite sex frequently. it has also been proven that people feel more secure in a single sex environment where people can express themselves openly and without haveing to worry about being embarassed in front of the opposite sex.

read the editing reason for the next comment:

pwnt!
    Last edited by XenomarinesKiller; November 26th, 2006 at 20:02. Reason: wanted to say pwnt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Hmm, well i am in a divided class at the moment, and to be honest the whole vibe is very friendship-y which leads to everyone getting comfortable in the class and doing their work with almost no fear of embarrasment.

But as soon as a girl sits in on the class, the work is almost forgotten and some of the guys really over act. Although this might all be due to the fact we are seperate classes usaully.
    Next year I am in a mixed class so i will have a better idea of the facts.

Being in Grade 8 at my school is rather strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Clown
    Aren't we just the popular boy! Your title should read 'stud muffin of LO'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I do feel that generally people, especially kids, work better in single sex environments.. However, in terms of actually producing emotionally healthy human beings, I think you probably need contact with the opposite sex. I know a lot of guys who grew up in single sex boarding schools and are either neurotic prudes or oversexed idiots who act like they're 15 whenever anything female walks into the room..

So yeah.. single sex classes are probably a good idea, especially in potentially embarassing or effeminate subjects, but separating boys and girls completely doesn't seem like such a good plan.

You're also in danger, I think, of extrapolating the culturally induced differences in mindset between boys and girls when you teach them separately. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing, but in a society which is supposed to be (ideally) sexually equal and homogenous, a degree of intellectual exchange between the sexes is probably a good idea.

So yeah, I think segregation it probably has a place.. But only if it's balanced by a degree of integration and social interaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

that one hurt. i'm 15. it hurt right here.*points to empty pit where heart is supposed to be*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

what about the idea of separated classrooms, but students would be able to eat lunch and have recess together? i think it is a reasonable middleground between division of classrooms and normal old-style schooling.

sorry for double posts. i clicked quote instead of edit. D'OH!
    Last edited by XenomarinesKiller; November 26th, 2006 at 20:43. Reason: me being special-ed

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by XenomarinesKiller View Post
    that one hurt. i'm 15. it hurt right here.*points to empty pit where heart is supposed to be*

Sorry to tell you this but Mantis makes a good point.

Maturity is definitly an important consideration. As any given person gets older the benifits of deviding them by sex decrease. I would imagine (though I haven't done any research) that after 15 or so, there is no point in deviding classes and indeed such a practice is probably somewhat harmful to a teenagers development.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I went to a single sex school for 7 years between the ages of 11 and 18. But there was a lot of interaction with the corresponding girls school in the same town, so it's not like we didn't know what girls were. Of course you can always meet girls outside of school as well.

Now I'm at university I'm in mixed classes, and I must admit that I don't really see the difference. Maybe it's because we are all in our twenties and don't get distracted by the opposite sex as much, like when we were 14 for example.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Seperated, or together - boys'n'girl will need 3-4 years to fully adjust and be ok with everything.
    The question is when do you subject them to the acclimatising process?

Which stage is less vital?

It all goes back to nursery/kindergarten - swings and roundabouts.

I appreciate that studies may have been done, but i think that other factors such as teaching style, discipline, tightness of underwear etc, will have more impact upon the students rather than simply blaming coeducational matters.

I think that mixed recess/lunch is an interesting idea.. as it at leaves gives kids a chance to acclimatise to the other gender, yet without potentially destroying their studies.

The big question is, do kids' studies suffer when they're NOT together. If they don't, then surely it's a no brainer.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast