Should we get Rep for Enhanced Posts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Rep be given for Enhanced posts?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 42.31%
  • No

5 19.23%
  • Doesn't really matter to me.

10 38.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Should we get Rep for Enhanced Posts?

I wanted to throw this out there after a couple of posts I did in other threads that got a quite a bit of support.

I would like to see that we could NOT get rep for Enhanced posts.

The reason is that this forum is primarily geared toward gaming, and as such Rep should be given only to those posts that enhance the primary focus of the L.O.

I will take a "Rep" hit myself, but to me the Enhanced forum is like a bonus area for good behaviour, helpfullness and "time in". IMO too much rep is given for personal opinions, political leanings, and "coolness". (I'm 38 so am obviously less cool, LOL)

I would like your feedback on the issue.

Cheers, DH

Last edited by Diggums Hammer; December 6th, 2006 at 18:16.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

I agree. Although I'm new I found rep much easier to come by on the enhansed forum than in the general area. While repping for clear, intelligent points is great and should be encouraged, this is a Warhammer fansite. So I feel rep should come from the areas where we discuss Warhammer or help Warhammer players; rather than politics or philosophy. While interesting, its not the heart and soul of LO. Wargaming is.

Having said that, its not too big a deal for me. But given the choice, I support the motion.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

First rep isn't a huge deal it is just an indication of how well thought of a person is amongs the community.

While the argument that rep should only be for gaming matters has some merit I believe that getting rep for enhanced forums is fair enough because it still indicates how well you can formulatye useful arguments, present an argument and so forth. Additionally you are adding to the forum community, making it a more welcoming, relaxed and most of all interesting community.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Part of me agrees 100% with you Diggums. This is a gaming forum so Rep should go for your gaming helpfulness. That's what Rep should represent.

Then again, I also agree that Rep isn't such a bad thing if it also represents, to some degree, at least, how esteemed the LO community thinks of you. We do have non-gaming forums and threads for a reason, right? Because we're more than just Warhammer nerds, I would hope. Therefore, isn't it acceptable that one's personal Rep is more all-encompassing than simply Warhammer?

I voted indifference, 'cause, in the end, I find I don't care strongly enough about it one way or the other. Were I to lose most of my rep 'cause the recommended change took place, I wouldn't be bothered. I'd still enjoy this place and the people on it very well indeed.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Yes

Reputation is awarded for many things, not just gaming advice and applying the 'no rep' to Enhanced is counter productive.

I get a fair amount of rep for thoughts, arguing well, making people laugh and just being plain nice to people on occasion. I do all of this in Enhanced as well as the wider forum and see no differance.

Rep doesnt have alot to do with playing help for example, a recent thread which garnered 100+ reputation for it's creator just for pictures of a themed army. No real discussion just 'That rocks' by dozens of people.

Ban enhanced rep and you should ban about half the rep given out on this forum.

As for opinion-repping, well we are enhanced/mature/'better' members of the forum. We should be able to not do that.

If not? well has the barrier been raised to 250 yet?

People on ED who Rep obviously like the system and as there are enough of them to annoy certain individuals (I cant see why really) then it's obviously more popular than it appears here. I can't remember the last time I repped in ED for 'your view rock man!' etc i'm sure the vast majority of ED'ers are the same.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I think it depends on who you're talking to.

Some people who post in enhanced and get jack crap for their points will vote no.

Others who reap it from the other sections will vote yes.

I for one don't like seeing members who have ultra high reps that never contribute to the gaming side, but it doesn't mean they didn't earn it any less.

I question the validity of enhanced repping, but that's mainly because I only get repped in the other sections in the forum. That's just my perspective because of my experience here.
    I think there might be use for a maximum someone can get from a post in the ED section or anywhere else for that matter, because I know of cases where a person makes one post and just pounds the points in. Or simply re-posts what others have said only paraphrasing and gotten the rep, and being the originator on an occasional post like that it dissapoints me a little.

I don't think it warrents changing though, everyone finds fun out of different parts of the forum and finds different things satisfying, and that's just fine.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    I for one don't like seeing members who have ultra high reps that never contribute to the gaming side, but it doesn't mean they didn't earn it any less.
    Does that matter though if they contain themselves mostly to enhanced?

Or does being 'good' in enhanced not matter? were that the case then, well there's probably no reason to have ED.

For that matter what is Reputation for? are people meant to put greater weight on posts made by high-level posters? if so well chances are the enhanced person's advice will still be good, you'll also have to bear in mind that anyone acruing large amounts of Rep in ED has had to get here first and cross a Rep threshold which they could only get in the wider forum.

There are scenarios when no Rep for Enhanced makes no sense, for example.

Mystery Person X makes a good post in the Imperial Guard Forum, steering back a post which was on the verge of descending into flames back to 'respectability'.

He gets Reputation for this good post/action.

Mystery Person X makes a similar post in the Enhanced Forum,

He gets nothing.

Both were posts indicative of his being a decent, upstanding credit to the forum who's actions are to be encouraged (by rep??). One gets rewarded however, and the other ignored. Fair?

I could see a 'two tier' rep system with a 'Rep from the larger forum' level as well as an 'Enhanced Rep' level. The practicalities of that situation are not mine to know, but I can imagine that there might be problems.
    Last edited by Silver Wings; December 6th, 2006 at 22:45.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings View Post
    Does that matter though if they contain themselves mostly to enhanced?
    No, but I covered that in my post.

Or does being 'good' in enhanced not matter? were that the case then, well there's probably no reason to have ED.
    sure there is.. for fun.
    I guess I really didn't have a "point" but rather expanding on the thought that if the "purpose" of the forums is for gaming/wargaming, then why is non-gaming discussion weighted equally,or even more on the reputation of the individual since a lot of members(especially new) sort of weigh the advice they receive based on the reputation score or count of the person giving it, is all.

For that matter what is Reputation for? are people meant to put greater weight on posts made by high-level posters? if so well chances are the enhanced person's advice will still be good, you'll also have to bear in mind that anyone acruing large amounts of Rep in ED has had to get here first and cross a Rep threshold which they could only get in the wider forum.
    I'm not discounting that, I'm simply pointing out that the system is not perfect, there are discreptancies and bringing my thougts to the table here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    I guess I really didn't have a "point" but rather expanding on the thought that if the "purpose" of the forums is for gaming/wargaming, then why is non-gaming discussion weighted equally,or even more on the reputation of the individual since a lot of members(especially new) sort of weigh the advice they receive based on the reputation score or count of the person giving it, is all.

I'm not discounting that, I'm simply pointing out that the system is not perfect, there are discreptancies and bringing my thougts to the table here.
    Excellent points, Rep is indeed a flawed system. But it was made by humans so of course it's going to be. You can currently get Rep in all 'Gen and Off Topic' and ED is no less deserving than VW, C+C or general if not more so.

I think we widely agree that Rep is a good/neutral thing in ED. I've restrained myself from repping you for having broadly the same opinion though (despite it being a good post) it took great effort but nevermind. I'm sorry though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Excellent points, Rep is indeed a flawed system. But it was made by humans so of course it's going to be. You can currently get Rep in all 'Gen and Off Topic' and ED is no less deserving than VW, C+C or general if not more so.

I think we widely agree that Rep is a good/neutral thing in ED. I've restrained myself from repping you for having broadly the same opinion though (despite it being a good post) it took great effort but nevermind. I'm sorry though.
    haha! burned by my own points.
    I'll just go sit in the corner an pout now.

*edit* I just realized you also just pointed out and proven one of my additinal points about the ED rep system not being particularly fair or flawed. You "held back" meaning that you would have normally hit the star, but didn't BECAUSE its enhanced, and decided to treat this post differently because of the topic, not because there wasn't a point made.
    I've noticed that happens a lot in the ED section, while I think it happens less in the other, more hobby oriented sections of the forum.
    Last edited by theyak; December 6th, 2006 at 23:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast