Annoyances... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which common newbie mistakes really annoy you?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Referring to Eldar (Dark/ Craftworld) as Eldars.

4 8.00%
  • Reffering to the Space Wolves as Space Wolfs?

2 4.00%
  • Calling the founding Legions founding Chapters?

2 4.00%
  • Having knowledge of only the chapter detailed in WD?

3 6.00%
  • Coming up with the ultimate Cheese chapter?

18 36.00%
  • Other? Detail below.

21 42.00%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoyances...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Your major annoyances/ mistakes that N/b's make when either first entering the hobby, or desperately trying (and failing) to show some in depth knowledge of the hobby/ fluff.

"It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really hate the people who get into the game, spend their money and then give up on it... just a waste of minis...
    i also despise really badly painted expensive minis, last time at the GW shop i saw this guy with a whole squad of expensive metal choas marines painted like a 2 year old would... <_<

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i have two...

Uber cheese space Marine Chapters: the worse i encountered recently was a hybrid between blood angels and black templars, this was one of my first games with an actual army (i had done squad level engagements before this so i knew how my army worked)

The GW Staff were allowing a fellow newbie to try his own Space Marine Chapter.

here is the story:

squad fails its black rage moving D6 forwards (rolls a 6 because the the player drops the dice)

Now i shoot at the squad and cause it to Flee now due ot the Templar rules.. you guessed it... they run towards me.

Once again he drops the dice resultig in 2 6s moving the squad ANOTHER 12"

now you would think that was the worst of it, you would be mistaken...

My Guardians with the Star cannon were charged by these marines who due to the rule combination hit on 3+ had initiative 5 and strength 5&#33;

So being as i was using an Ulthwe army i made a rapid counter charge with my Seer Council only to find that he had Death Company in this army too&#33;

The Dice droping continued in combat leaving me with some Howling Banshees, 3 Vyper Jetbikes, 5 Guardian Jetbikes the tattered remains of my Seer council (1 Farseer and 2 Warlocks out of an original 3 Farseers and 7 Warlocks) and one tired, angry (but apparently invincible) Shining Spear Exarch.

However i won the game in the end for a great reason... it was a Clense mission and the bafoon had forgoten this leaving me with 3 quarters and him with 1.

so thats my two annoyances in one story,

chessy marine chapters and cheating players who drop the dice so they get 6s
    “Someone I know calls a Sphinx a Sphincter I really don’t have the heart to correct them?
    “So you want to be made feel like a small boy and dominated do you? How about you dress up as Micky Mouse and I‘ll hit you with a baseball bat until you pass out or die??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey&#33; Cheese kicks ass&#33; Well at least the food does.
    What really annoys me is the bragging and the bragging. I don&#39;t even want to talk about it&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, when you said the Uber Cheese SM army, I was ready to be offended. I&#39;m a huge fan of termies and like to field as many of them as possible...just like the fluff and look, and it actually makes things harder. But that guy was beyond cheesey, that&#39;s just overt cheating. His own chapter...ever heard of balance? Sigh...

I voted other, mainly because most newbie mistakes I just don&#39;t mind. I like seeing new people getting into the game and if they like it that&#39;s great and I want to do anything I can to encourage them. I&#39;m sorry, but I&#39;ve been a hard core computer geek for years and seen newbies treated pretty harshly sometimes...doesn&#39;t really happen in 40k, but I still don&#39;t like it.

That said, I don&#39;t like people who are whiney or who don&#39;t want to listen or want to learn. I am perfectly fine with playing a game against a noob in which I spend 45 min. explaining rules and so forth for every 5 I spend playing, even if I was expecting to play someone more expereinced (say, if I actually found time to go to the Battle Bunker or something), as long as they want to learn. I&#39;m the same way with computers. I don&#39;t mind having to repeat myself 40 times, as long as it isn&#39;t because the other person doesn&#39;t care enough to listen. That bugs me. I actually get satisfaction out of knowing that I helped introduce someone to this huge scam and money-trap...I mean hobby...and hopefully given them a good game too. I just don&#39;t want them to be a jerk.

Sorry, but people who are rough on noobs is just kind of a pet peeve for me from my experiences in the computer hardware community.
    &quot;Don&#39;t Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good.&quot;
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats true LT, newbies are sometimes anoying but everyone has to remember that they were once newbies. All newbies will learn the rules and tactics from experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

IMO there&#39;s no such thing as a &#39;cheesy&#39; army. If the army&#39;s legal then it&#39;s fine with me&#33; No army is unbeatable as long as it goes by the rules of the game.

As for what really annoys me, I&#39;d have to say that I hate it when someone shows up with a badly painted army. I&#39;m not talking about people who aren&#39;t very good at painting. I&#39;m talking about the ones who can&#39;t be bothered to make an effort. It&#39;s easy to tell the difference.

Another thing that annoys me is people who can&#39;t have a good time if they aren&#39;t winning hands down. I played this guy once who walked out and slammed the door when I killed his Dreadnought&#33;

By the way, I&#39;ve got to agree with Suns that cheese is a good thing. It&#39;s a shame that it&#39;s become a negative word in 40K.. Maybe we should call it &#39;Marmite&#39; or something.... :rolleyes:
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i can understand mistakes especialy with pronounciation i can live with that (ok if its a string of really dumb mistakes i may get a little snappy).

My oppinion on cheese is that its part of a balanced diet,

i have found the ideal army consists of

strength or power playing- This is picking stronger units because you know they are good (i.e. 10 Howling Banshees in a Wave Serpent to fight Space Marines because they are 16pts and have power weapons), after a point it becomes cheese (3 squads of Banshees) however the line between Strength and cheese is not well established.

Background or Theme- if you can think of a believable story why the units (especialy allies) in your army are there then that really enhances the game, allows the players to make their own scenarios and in my experience makes an interesting game.

Moderation- this is knowing how good your opponent is i.e. your not going to unleash your most powerful character on a newbie however if this is your friend and you both take defeat well and it won&#39;t affect your friendship then go for it.
    “Someone I know calls a Sphinx a Sphincter I really don’t have the heart to correct them?
    “So you want to be made feel like a small boy and dominated do you? How about you dress up as Micky Mouse and I‘ll hit you with a baseball bat until you pass out or die??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by BobaHat@May 14 2003, 05:22
    IMO there&#39;s no such thing as a &#39;cheesy&#39; army. If the army&#39;s legal then it&#39;s fine with me&#33; No army is unbeatable as long as it goes by the rules of the game.
    If it&#39;s legal and so forth I don&#39;t think it&#39;s cheesey at all. But what shadowcat was talking about wasn&#39;t even legal. That&#39;s just down right bad (whether you want to call it cheese or uber-cheese or whatever).
    &quot;Don&#39;t Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good.&quot;
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Its mostly badly painted models, it stings me behind the eyes to see those noble minis desecrated in such a way.
    Or to see some newbie who thinks this is all really silly and comments on your dedication to the game...Just let me at him i&#39;ll ********* and ****** with a fish&#33;&#33;

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast