Your view on religion. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Your view on religion.

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what everyones view on religion is;
    What you believe in, How you interprit it, what do you think about it, any other un-orthodox beliefs you have(including differing beliefs within a religion), certain thoughts on certain aspects/concepts of religion(such as ideas like a god, afterlife, or anything else). Discussing this stuff may be interesting.

Any and all are welcome to comment, even if you don't have a religion/ are aithiest.
    Personally i'm Agnostic, so i have a bunch of crazy theories on a multitude of religious concepts.
    Remeber to be respectful of other peoples' beliefs.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

I myself am not religious, although I was baptised and my mother tried to raise me a christian.

However, I have read the bible. I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is my opinion; It has a fair amount of valid points and pointers, some good stories, and a load of crap. Historical sources have proven some stories to be untrue, or just plain non existent. But some of the lessons described are actually good, and beneficial to mankind in general.

I have also read parts of the Koran, the islamic holy texts. And they too hold solid points, nice stories, and crap. I's sad to see how people interpret these texts to fundamentalist and extremist goals. The Koran itself is pretty much like the bible, and it preaches peace among its followers, not the slaughter of 'infidels'.

I have also read (excerpts of) the satanist bible, published in the late sixties of the 20th century. I don't mean to sound all evil and devil-worhipping, but until now this book holds, to me, the most valid points and life-guidance. Ofcourse, some of it is exagerated and some of it is crap, but it's not all about devil-worshipping, contrary to popular beliefs. Ofcourse, they exist too, but they use another book.

But, having read these, and some of the other religions' holy works, I came to one conclusion; Religion is a great thing used to reach all the wrong ends. It can bring people together, but also divides people, depending on the interpretations. And since most people interpret these texts to aggressive and destructive ends, I'll say no to religion. For now.
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Rogue angel has hit the nail on the head there.

The thing to remember is that difference between religion and belief tends to be pretty large. a religion in my eyes is the human interpretation of belief.

I personally believe there is a god. But not in the same way that say most religions see "him". I prefer to look at him as a metaphor for the driving force of the universe, which keeps the ball rolling as it were. This works for me.

Religion sadly has become a tool for the powerful in the past and the present and i can't honestly see it changing any time soon. This tends to happen with any organisation.
    Last edited by Arklite; March 4th, 2007 at 19:25.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Right, I'm gonna try and say this nicely. I have very little good to say about religion. The way I see it, it has always tried to keep people stupid. It's still doing so. Religious leaders go against what science proves, clinging to their ancient works of fiction as if they are absolute truth. They're dominating their followers, often going completely against what they preach (especially a few centuries ago, church leaders were basically modern satanists). Religion has been the cause of countless wars and conflicts. Jewish religions (judeo-xianity, islam) are deathcults in denial; they enforce a life of servitude and oppression so that you may be rewarded after death. Of course, since death is typically pretty final, nobody can prove them wrong. The fact nobody can prove them right either doesn't seem to bother anyone.
    It had a purpose, centuries ago. Natural phenomena could not be explained by logic at the time, so people invented gods. Sharing their beliefs gave them a sense of unity, a binding factor to work towards greatness together. Nowadays that is no longer needed. I see religion as something for sheep to follow because they can't deal with life if they can't blame the bad stuff on some deity. Frankly I only have contempt for this.

There's a couple exceptions, namely the old pagan religions, which tend to make a lot more sense and be far less dogmatic. If someone has personal beliefs including a god (or several), fine, as long as you're not just blindly following what someone else tells you and you don't try and claim your beliefs are absolute truth.

That wasn't too bad actually. I could go on but I'll just get pissed off thinking about it. Let the flames begin.

EDIT: In regards to the satanic bible: it has some excellent points, in fact when I read it I kept thinking "finally someone's written down exactly how I feel about things". This is mainly nietzsche philosophies... I disagree with the part where he (LaVey) brings religion back into it. He had a nice thing going but then he claims people need ceremony and ritual... which is a load of bollocks in my opinion. The weak need ceremony and ritual. He ****ed up an excellent belief system with that.
    Last edited by BorninDarkness; March 4th, 2007 at 19:36.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

To start, I'd like to quote myself. I put this in a, now old, thread when the subject of commandments came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    I follow three Commandments. I don't care what anyone else follows, so long as they at least follow the three that I do.

The first one I follow -
    "Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie."

Second one -
    "Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you."

Third one -
    "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself."

With those three, the others that people follow matter to me not.

(Astute Readers may be able to place where I pulled these three Commandments from, but even though it may have been intended to be a joke, I believe there is real potential in them and they're a significant improvement over the old Ten.)

Some of you may percieve this post as being sarcastic, but it's not meant to be. I honestly do follow those three Commandments. Not because they're meant to be funny or anything, but because I feel it's the decent thing to do. I don't believe in God, or in any higher powers beyond life and death, but only because that is how I was raised - to respect people and treat them as equals.
    And to this day, I still believe every single word I wrote in that post. So much, in fact, that I really have nothing else to add.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I don't bother it and it doesn't bother me.

However I do not take kindly to people preaching to me and trying to convert me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I personally believe there is a god. But not in the same way that say most religions see "him". I prefer to look at him as a metaphor for the driving force of the universe, which keeps the ball rolling as it were. This works for me.
    I'm not really religious per say, but i think its a little bit silly to think that the universe is just some random useless thing with no purpose. I Like to believe there is some benevalent consiousness out there (Be it god, the force, the hive mind, the Emporor, or Fonzie ectsetera....).

Also, I believe organized religion has become rather currupt. It seems like they misinterprate all the messages of the religion, and turn it into 'Follow us, or go to Hell' in order to scare people into blindly following them. One thing i believe is a gross misinterpretation is the Jesus story vs. the existance of a hell. The point of the story was that Jesus died in order to save mankind from his sin/ Absolve everyone. If that was the point, doesn't that mean EVERY ONE would go to heaven....
    Anyway, i'm not really chrisian or anything, but regarding that story i think people misunderstand, especially churches who turn it into a guilt trip.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperator Dominus Omni Astera.

Ad Majorum Imperator Gloriam.

Deus Imperator sententia festinatio donatus nos vestri sigillum!
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

I really don't want to type how I feel on it because of it might turn into a fight.
    I will say one thing I will be as religouse as I want to be and if you have a problem with me believing that god made humans and not gasses then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    I really don't want to type how I feel on it because of it might turn into a fight.
    I will say one thing I will be as religouse as I want to be and if you have a problem with me believing that god made humans and not gasses then so be it.
    Entirely respectable. If you feel that is what happened, then you are entitled to that belief. As long as people who believe that don't start forcing it on people who don't believe that, then there shouldn't be a problem...
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast