In Sorte Diaboli - Dimmu Borgir - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

In Sorte Diaboli - Dimmu Borgir

My descent is the story of everyman
    I am hatred, darkness and despair
    Its with these words that we're launched into Dimmu Borgir's newest album, In Sorte Diaboli.
    For the first few seconds we glide into a epic soundscape before the drums kick in and all hell breaks loose.

The linup for this album is as follows:
    • Shagrath – Vocals
    • I.C.S. Vortex – Bass, backing vocals
    • Silenoz – Guitar
    • Galder – Guitar
    • Hellhammer – Drums
    • Mustis – Synthesizers

In Sorte Diaboli is Dimmu Borgirs first complete concept album. The story revolves around a christian priest in medieval europe who realizes his direct devotion to the devil. People become convinced he's the Antichrist and he gathers more and more people to his side molding them into a dark cult. The album explores his transformation from priest into this ungodly entity the people call "Antichrist" and finally his execution by fire. Silenoz wrote the storyline for the album before a note of music was composed and comments thusly on our renegade priest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenoz
    "...people start to believe that he is the devil himself incarnated on earth and he uses that to his advantage because, as we all know, people always fear what they don't know. All the unknown is something negative. He uses this to his advantage and the story just explains his transformation into this being and at the end he gets burnt on the stake because he's burnt by the local people."
    I really enjoy this album. It's alot "fresher" than Death Cult Armageddon was with sharper lyrics and less gloom. The symphonic elements are more streamlined, fitting the speed of the music better. The album also feels faster, though if that is down to Hellhammers drumwork or something else I'm not sure. The album features alot of theatrical elements, mood-setting interludes that add to the story being told.
    The bands satanic and anti-christian themes are more "to the surface" shall we say than I've noticed in awhile.
    Its worth special notice that Vortex seems to be given more opportunity to flex his vocals, giving it to us in truly epic and angelic fashion that makes my hair stand on end (and I've got long hair folks, thats no mean feat!)

While it is still not anything like For All Tid or Stormbläst, I found In Sorte Diaboli to be a good listen though I'm abit disappointed that there were no Norwegian songs on there since I found "Vredesbyrd" from Death Cult to be one of the best songs on that album.(though understandable since they're taking it as a concept album).

I'd give it a score of 3/5. I plan on making it a part of my collection, and would freely recommend it.

On a side-note for you metal fans. Dimmu Borgir will be playing at Wacken Open Air this year. Me and Gerbrith have already reserved our tickets for the biggest metal event of the year. Last year they sold out with 50.000 people there, it was fan-frigging-tastic and I'd recommend it. This'll be my third year in a row that I attend and I hope to see you there!

Source reference:
    Dimmu Borgir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Metal Storm - Dimmu Borgir - New Album Track List Revealed + Other Details About The Album
    The ultimate DIMMU BORGIR - IN SORTE DIABOLI news page
    Interview of DIMMU BORGIR (Silenoz, Shagrath) for the "In Sorte Diaboli" release
    Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad album I guess. Never really a big fan of Dummy Burger, but they have some cool blasts and shiz.

Galder ruins all black metal pictures. He pulls the stupidest faces ever.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5559/galder0036dn.png

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great album, but i agree with many comments i've heard about the album being a bit of a sell out. For me its not quite as good as some of their older work which was a bit more true to black metal. This album however has a very 'fresh' feel to it, and it is a fantastic album showcasing the best of the band even if it is in a more 'commercial' sense

DOWN WITH THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!MAY HIS GALAXY BURN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

I'm really just posting here since I see my review is still the last one commented on, which is abit of a surprise.

I'd like to add that Dimmuborgir had an excellent show at Wacken 2007 and I was surprised they only took two songs from the new album. They really played for their fans, mostly taking songs from their older albums.

The show was great, the mood was electric, overall it was just fantastic with thousands of metalheads screaming their lungs out and slamming their heads. I was just to the left of the central tower and had a clear view of both the stage and the screen.

Anyone else that was at Wacken 2007 and saw 'em?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Dimmu has had some bad writing influence ever since Galder joined. I believe that Galder has really ****ed with this bands sound and has, in a sense, ruined Dimmu Borgir. From "For All Tid" up until "Spiritual Black Dimensions" Dimmu Borgir was incredible. I also really enjoyed the re-recording of "Stormblast". I'm not trying to say that albums such as "Death Cult Armageddon" and "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" are horrible releases... but they definitely lack the same miraculous sound that they previous albums have given.
    One of the biggest disappointments of the new Dimmu album was the use of breakdowns. I honestly wasn't surprised at this, for I had seen it coming since I heard the guitar riff in "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse". These breakdowns aren't necessarily "core", but breakdowns in Black Metal at all are disturbing. It's as if Dimmu Borgir is slowly changing into a Symphonic version of Unearth or something.

And stop calling Dimmu Borgir a black metal band, they stoped since "For All Tid" album.
    Underground Californian black metal is the future of black metal today. Believe it or not Wrest will find you.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

I didn't once call them a Black metal band (I take it that was meant for me...)

As for the future of Black Metal I'd have to throw my lot in with the folks that say it's dead. The sound has moved on and there's very little left of the original "feeling" of the thing.
    Though, as with disco, we'll always have people that'll claim the contrary I guess =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by PrOtOcoN View Post
    As for the future of Black Metal I'd have to throw my lot in with the folks that say it's dead. The sound has moved on and there's very little left of the original "feeling" of the thing.
    Who said that black metal is dead ? Dead maybe in Norway but not in the state of California and of course in France. The best black metal of today comes from those two places.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Sure there's stuff labeled as Black metal, but saying that it's still alive and kicking is kind of missing the point methinks.
    Black Metal has a certain sound and a certain feeling to it. Perhaps we're talking about different things but that feeling was very much embodied in the second wave sound of Mayhem, Darkthrone, early Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal. Not to mention Maniac Butcher, a school room crush of mine.
    Fair enough there's still bands around that have the sound and some of the feeling there, Gorgoroth comes to mind, but most of the stuff I hear from France isn't all there.
    To be honest I haven't heard any Black Metal from California, I remember this one man Black Metal band thingy from the U.S. but it was more silly than anything else...he had drive though =D

I don't mean "PuRe! lol" black metal here...I don't need for things to sound like they were recorded in a tin can with a toy recorder.
    Just so we're clear =p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

Perhaps we're talking about different things but that feeling was very much embodied in the second wave sound of Mayhem, Darkthrone, early Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal.
    Who cares about those bands nowdays, anyway ?
    Fair enough there's still bands around that have the sound and some of the feeling there, Gorgoroth comes to mind, but most of the stuff I hear from France isn't all there.
    What about Deathspell Omega or Mütiilation ?
    To be honest I haven't heard any Black Metal from California, I remember this one man Black Metal band thingy from the U.S.
    Try to find(Soulseek) and listen to Leviathan or Weltmacht

I don't mean "PuRe! lol" black metal here...I don't need for things to sound like they were recorded in a tin can with a toy recorder.
    Just so we're clear =p
    Neither do I.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Who cares about those bands nowdays, anyway ?
    I do. =p

Seeing as I grew up listening to them, they're what got me into the genre.
    Deathspell Omega is quite interesting, I've got their Inquisitors of Satan album. But they're Avant Garde Black metal. If you're trying to say that Black Metal still exists in some form then I agree.
    Good stuff like Gallhammer and Sigh (to name two Japanese bands) is still out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that those that gave the genre their sound have moved onto other things. Those that set the tone and gave the genre its name have evolved their sound. Some good some bad invariably, but it's beginnings or roots that I'm speaking of.

I just feel that to come up with something new in Black Metal is a rare occurance, if you follow.
    So yes I'd call it dead in that respect. Though I could also say it's moved on, evolved etc.

Ah, Greece!
    Rotting Christ was here for a show recently. I was pleasantly surprised!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast