2000pts all-comers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

2000pts all-comers

This is the list i've been using against any army at 2K.
    It works quite well; i've got 4 hammer units, 3 support units, and annoying marchblocking little trappers.
    I've also got a tyrant with 3D6" pursuit, 3 butchers for a great magic phase with 8 PDs, and a bound spell.
    I know the most contested unit is probably the gnoblar fighters, but i just can't leave home without them; they're too funny to leave at home :party: (the models and what they sometimes do or don't do on the battlefield).
    Each character starts out in an irongut unit, but mostly leaves it. This is certainly the case with my tyrant charging out of his unit, or the butcher with the bangstick just running around and "shooting".
    The butcher with siegebreaker and skullmantle is ideal for casting braingobbler, and challenging unit champions (even dwarfs) with his surprising S7. It's a wizard that's more powerful than a lot of the hero choices out there.
    Against lizardmen, i mostly field my 1 or 2 of my butchers solo to go skink hunting.
    2 gorgers are IMO one of the best things you can do with the points in an OK army in 2000+ pts games, increasing the chance of one appearing on turn 2.
    The 2 units of leadbelchers are there for picking off the things most ogre armies have problems with; flyers and fast cavalry. They're quite good at that, but I also use them as bait.
    The single unit of bulls is mostly used for bait & flee, and for flank charges.
    The gnoblar fighters' main purpose is to do nothing and claim a table quarter at the end of the game for some free VPs.
    The tyrant is a real powerhouse who can catch and crash chariots if he'd want to against a chariot-heavy army, but he also loves challenging unit champions for an almost guaranteed 6CR. If you break a cavalry unit, he can also pursue it at 3D6".
    Comments and advice are appreciated ;Y

tyrant
    tenderiser
    heavy armor
    longstrider big name
    wyrdstone necklace
    luck gnoblar

butcher
    bangstick
    dispel scroll

butcher 2
    skullmantle
    siegebreaker

butcher 3
    dispel scroll

core
    3 bulls
    bellower

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

22 gnoblar fighters

9 gnoblar trappers

special
    2 leadbelchers
    bellower

2 leadbelchers
    bellower

rare
    gorger

gorger

total = 2000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

this is a great list, I usually bring one unit of fighters myself. If nothing else they can at least hold a table quarter.

There really aren't any changes I would make (besides favorite units, but thats not about list composition, just models I like).

Grats on a great list.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Siegebreaker on a butcher, that would be a nasty surprise. May have the snitch that idea!
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

I'd say go ahead; an opponent will be very confused if you e.g. charge a chariot with a wizard, or challenge a heavy-armored unit champion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you fare agaisnt artillary armies without the lookout Noblars?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

I do fairly well, although if the board has a lot of hills, i suffer more because i can't screen my irongut units with my bulls or leadbelchers.
    Mostly warmachines only get 1 round of shooting off - even if I'm not within charge range yet, the appearance of a gorger on turn 2 almost right next to their warmachines seems to be very intimidating to an opponent and they target them right away, so I still get a lot of units into combat.

In these matches, I have to admit I rely heavily on gut magic. I try to panic the units in front of the warmachines with braingobbler to force a panic test on the warmachine crew (harder to do vs dwarfs), cast trollguts, or toothcracker depending on the warmachines on key units.

I've even been known to let my tyrant charge out of his unit in turn 2 into a smaller unit in front of a warmachine, challenging the champion. Not all players count on this, and sometimes, a flee reaction can provoke panic in the unit they're fleeing through, so they mostly hesitate.

The wyrdstone necklace, and luck gnoblar is a good save vs warmachines, and butchers can use bloodgruel if damaged a little too much. Don't underestimate the number of wounds on ogre characters :rofl.

Another reason for me not taking banners anymore (I used to take banners in all my irongut units, and a lookout in each one with a character), is the fact that if your ironguts do decide to flee, it's 100VP for your opponent, whereas the +1CR mostly doesn't do anything since ironguts either win by a lot, or not at all; i've never gotten a tie in combat

Another great unit to keep warmachines occupied are trappers; they can reach the warmachine almost immediately, and start annoying with all your sharp stuff, or if you're feeling really (really) lucky, you can charge them. A very annoying option is to just park them right in front of a warmachine, blockin LoS to all your other units :rofl

hope this helped
    Last edited by arisen devil; November 26th, 2007 at 16:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I usually only see Hunters with the Longstrider, but I would love to see the look on an opponent's face when you launch the Tyrant at something from a foot away.

That is a nasty, nasty list.

Since 7th edition and the dramatic increase in MSU Ogre lists, you see fewer and fewer Gnoblars except Trappers. I used to run three blocks of them to screen big expensive units, now I take two Trapper teams and that's pretty much it.

Have you considered ditching the Gnoblars in favor of some Bellowers? Snagging a table quarter is nice and all, but when do Ogres have close games? I've always ever either been blown to the four winds or completely overrun my opponents. (Usually the former more than the latter. )

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

I daresay Quick, you'd get a close game or a massacre from me. I never lose to Ogres!

That being said, I like to take a unit of gnoblars when I play them as well, in fact, I just bought some more.
    I didn't know you could take big-names on your butchers, I'll have to go back and reread my book.

lastly, I'm still trying to figure out why people take the wyrdstone over spangleshard. Especially with MSU, the spangleshard is cheaper and gives a better save. The only thing is really doesn't work against is str3-4 attacks, which my tyrant isn't really afraid of anyway and by that time, I've butchered 1-2 of his wizards and my butchers are able to give everyone regeneration or +1Toughness, which makes str3-4 attacks pretty usless anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=buckero0;1050489]
    lastly, I'm still trying to figure out why people take the wyrdstone over spangleshard. Especially with MSU, the spangleshard is cheaper and gives a better save.

No it doesn't if you read it carefully you will notice that it relies on the TO WOUND ROLL that is made. So if a cannon rolled a 6 to wound you you wouldn't get a save, if it rolled a 5 to wound you you would get a 6+ save if it rols a 4 to wound you you get a 5+ save, and so on... It can be better but is more unreliable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    I didn't know you could take big-names on your butchers, I'll have to go back and reread my book.
    I dont see any big names on his butchers :happy:
    Last edited by OgreTyrant; November 30th, 2007 at 10:05. Reason: sp.

Armies to date:
    2500 Ogre Kingdoms
    3000 Skaven
    2500 Tomb Kings
    2500 Necrons
    3000 Eldar
    3000 Tyranids
    1500 Space MArines

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast