Ogres 2250 Tournament list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogres 2250 Tournament list

Hey guys ive got a University tournament coming up and the other unis attending are garenteed to be bring really cheesy lists, so instead im gonna take ogres and see if i can have some fun and possibly win at the same time.

So Far im thinking of taking

Tyrant - WyrdStone Knecklace
    SKull Plucker
    Greedy Fist
    Heavy Armour
    Rock Eye
    Iron Fist
    Luck gnoblar
    Maw Seeker (Risky but T6 should keep him alive long enough to cause some dmg)

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Bang Stick
    2 Tooth Gnoblars

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Halflings Cook Book
    2 Tooth Gnoblars

Butcher - Skull Mantle
    2 Gnoblar Thief Stones
    2 Tooth Gnoblars

3 Bulls - Bellower

3 Bulls - Bellower

8 Iron Guts - Full Command
    War Banner
    (Butcher with Skull Mantle and Tyrant will go in here)

4 Iron Guts - Bellower

4 Iron Guts - Bellower

20 Gnoblar Fighters

8 Trappers

2 Dogs of War Cannons

- Ive read many lists and they all seem to suggest lots of iron gits which is what ive tried to go with but i do like to have a nice sized unit to hold my center, and lots of magic defense seems to be a huge must with the current "cheesy" army lists out there.

Please add any feed back for changes you think would help this list
    Cheers.

----Apologies put this in the wrong section then couldnt find the delete option----

Last edited by Isyouungry; February 16th, 2009 at 01:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Well, I've already welcomed you to the board on your profile, so now I can get straight onto the list stuff.
    Tyrant - WyrdStone Knecklace
    SKull Plucker
    Greedy Fist
    Heavy Armour
    Rock Eye
    Iron Fist
    Luck gnoblar
    Maw Seeker (Risky but T6 should keep him alive long enough to cause some dmg)
    As you said, he can be a bit dodgy with Stupidity, especially with his (comparatively) low Leadership. My thoughts are also that Skullplucker is pretty useless for its points. I'd consider taking something like the Tenderiser or Siegebreaker. Thor the Thunderer is extremely grateful when I give him a Tenderiser, and it pays off- I've killed both Chaos/Dwarf Lords in one round with it. I'd drop Mawseeker and possibly the Greedy Fist to get the points. Mawseeker, I've delved into. The Ironfist, you may as well drop too, since it can't be used with the magic weapon (and the Greedy Fist takes over).

The Rock Eye is good if you play in a secretive tournament (depends on the opponents you think you'll get). I prefer my Empire Crystal Ball, but meh. Your call.

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Bang Stick
    2 Tooth Gnoblars

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Halflings Cook Book
    2 Tooth Gnoblars

Butcher - Skull Mantle
    2 Gnoblar Thief Stones
    2 Tooth Gnoblars
    Never tried the Skullmantle, but I haven't yet regretted taking the Cookbook/Scroll combo, and the Bangstick/Scroll combo is very popular. I'm not too sure if it would be best to keep your third one as-is, or get another scroll (or indeed two) in there.

3 Bulls - Bellower

3 Bulls - Bellower
    I'd say these are too small. Run them four or five big, with Ironfists, and maybe Light Armour and/or a Champion. The numbers mean you will generally be able to take a few wounds and still get the Bull Charge off.

8 Iron Guts - Full Command
    War Banner
    (Butcher with Skull Mantle and Tyrant will go in here)
    Too big. Way too big. The thought of 10 ogres rushing towards an enemy is unsettling at best. My lists are more MSU, and if your opponent drops off a Pit of Shades (or something) on that expensive unit, things won't be so fun. My thoughts are to drop it back to no more than five, and to switch the banner for the Rune Maw. Generally, my 'Guts will be able to do more than enough wounds to break the enemy quickly, especially with that Tyrant in there (this is where your GW comes into play). One spell that works is the one that makes them Stubborn. If you don't get the charge, you should be able to hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive/to level the combat.

4 Iron Guts - Bellower

4 Iron Guts - Bellower
    Nice units, though I'd consider a Champion in there as well. Your call.

20 Gnoblar Fighters

8 Trappers
    The Trappers are good. Legendary, in fact. Keep them. The Gnoblars, I think, might be a bit lonely. Two meatshields is always fun. One thing I like to do is have a large unit (30 or so) behind an Ironguts unit with the Rune Maw. Nasty spells will often just get transferred to the big, cheap, and hard to panic unit.

2 Dogs of War Cannons
    Personally, I think Gorgers are better. They have the ability to pop up anywhere, and can bring down may times their points with their statline and Unbreakable. If your opponent is a camping Gunline general, I consider it better to go on a warmachine-hunting spree than to fight fire with (inferior) fire. Maybe go one of each if you want some support shooting.

In all, not a bad list. Has a solid magic defence, and the potential for some nasty spells to be unleashed. Overall, I think if you reduced the big Ironguts unit to make the Bulls bigger, and maybe add some more Gnoblars or something, your list would benefit from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive read what you have put and made some slight changes.

Tyrant - Heavy Armour
    Tenderiser
    Wyrdstone Knecklace
    Greedy Fist
    --- Though having the Rock eye in would be useful i dont think it would be as useful as another bull, so it was dropped and LD9 is good for stupidity but then again i just wouldnt like to risk it ----

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Halfling Cook Book
    Tooth Gnoblar (2)

Butcher - Dispel Scroll
    Bang Stick

Butcher - Skull Mantle
    Gnoblar Thief Stone (2)
    Tooth Gnoblar (2)
    --- Personally i dont think you can go wrong with a tyrant and a butcher with the skull mantle in a decent sized unit of Iron Guts ( i once ran a unit of 20 against a VC list), so before you have attacked they are at -1 LD, and the MR 2 will help to stop the nasty Pit of Shades -----

6 Iron Guts - Full Command
    Rune Maw

----Dropped 2 from the unit in order to bulk out the Bulls a lil, but i put no faith in the bulls as mine have a very bad track record, even with iron fists and light armour. ----

4 Iron Guts - Champion
    Bellower

4 Iron Guts - Champion
    Bellower

4 Bulls - Bellower

4 Bulls - Bellower
    --- In my opinion its alot of points for an extra attack for the Champion so i dont bother with them, but i do agree that 4 is a better number ---

20 Gnoblars - Groin Biter

20 Gnoblars - Groin Biter
    --- Love these lil guys, in previous games they have killed many vampires (Through combar res and causing one wound, then the vampire fluffing their attacks)---

8 Gnoblar Trappers

Gorger
    --- My only problem with Gorgers is the lack of any save and the fact they carnt charge on the turn they enter play, which usually means they are shot and left on 2 wounds when they charge in to combat ---

Dogs of War Cannon
    --- I was going to take 2 to deal with the numerous High Elf Dragons and Blood Thirsters that are all but garenteed to be taken ---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never take any equipment on bulls except for a bellower they're cheap and they'd stay that way
    light armour is just a waste because almost anything has got s4 or armour piercing and ironfists are more attacks but no more -3 armour save but -1(and shield ability ain't no good).
    Keep the units of bulls cheap on 3 and juse them for flanks.
    Ironguts 3 or 4 but no more add a tyrant to a unit and see how they break almost everything!
    Maybe try some Leadbelchers just to scare the opponent and shoot some holes in the enemy lines.
    You cannot take a greedy fist next to a 2h weapon and the tooth gnoblers on the butchers aren't neccecary in my oppinion.
    Don't get any command on the ironguts except for the bellowers and for your Big HAMMER unit a standard and maybe rune maw.
    This are just suggestions about how I think it would be good to use ogre's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Greedy fist states it add a 6+ armour save but does not say it is an iron fist ect and that it cannot be used with a 2 handed weapon, this isnt answerd in the FAQ. Ive always take it as being a magic gauntlet like the high elves have magic vambraces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for the Gready fist but if you do take heavy armour as well because if you don't you probs won't get a save from most of your opponents heros and lords.

I think you should also take the 8 man iron gut unit, but take the rage banner on it and hope the you get toothcracker off on them. being and 8-10 man unit they will take a ponding but if you get into combat quick (which is easy for ogres) you will destroy every thing on there side of the field.

having a gorger is good because when they come onto to the field they will suck alot of fire power and let the rest of your army run into the enemy.

Have fun at the tournament and good luck. warhammer junky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the good luck i think ill need it with the new batch of armies books.

Also id paid for the heavy armour just forgotten to write it in. Ill admit i like the idea of having a block of 10 ogres in the center of the board as yes they will draw fire and magic but then they have 3W each and at least 6 (if i take lots of shooting) will make it to the enemy.

The Ragbanner is alright but my only problem with it is you can only use it for panic tests which with the tyrant in the unit any way udsing his LD shouldnt pose too many problems.

Thanks for your imput, i think im getting towards a list that should a) be fun to play and b) possibly win a game!

+ Reply to Thread