1k OK, New to Fantasy! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k OK, New to Fantasy!

After a lot of wish-washing around, a friend and I have decided to go 50/50 on an OK army (our group recently branched into fantasy from 40k, and neither of us want to do a whole other army on our own ($$)). We're planning to buy a battalion and do a bit of counts-as-ing to begin with. Here is a list I've drawn up after lurking for a little while... Also, the games we play at this point are mostly 1k.

-> Bruiser
    S of Might
    Gutmaw
    Heavy Armor
    Ironfist

-> Butcher
    Seige Breaker

-> Iron Gut x3

-> Iron Gut x3

-> Bulls x 3

-> Trappers x 15

-> Leadbelchers x 2

-> Leadbelchers x2

It comes out to 997 points. The characters would each be in a unit of Iron Guts. The players in my group are dwarves, vampire counts (cringe), orks and sometimes dark elves. How is the list overall? Should I drop the butcher for something else, or maybe drop a unit of leadbelchers and the trappers for another butcher?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I am not very experienced in ogre kingdoms (having just started as well). The list looks very solid though. The only two things I would consider switching would be giving the butcher a bang stick and scroll. Also, that is a big unit of trappers, although with ogre point costs I can't really think of any place of putting them more valuable (besides trying to fit a gorger into the list).

Actually one switch I think I would do would be switching the the siege breaker with a bang stick, then the trappers into a unit of 8 and that may be enough for a gorger (don't have the book on me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is definently too many trappers. 8 is a good amount.
    The siegebreaker isn't too bad for the butcher, but I would agree that having a bang-stick and dispel scroll will give your army a better magic phase (besides the iron-guts are hard hitting enough, let your butcher focus on magic)

I've never been convinced that leadbelchers were worth the points... but taking a gorger might be AWESOME if your opponents use war machines! Drop one unit of Leadbelchers add a gorger and possibly one bull... or spread out some points and give your units bellowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, drop a unit of leadbelchers in exchange for a gorger maybe. And perhaps limit the trappers to make more room for magic items on the butcher (scroll and boomstick... the boomstick looks fun to try).

Why only 8 trappers though, and what am I supposed to do with them? What makes them so much better than regular gnoblars?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Logco
    Why only 8 trappers though, and what am I supposed to do with them? What makes them so much better than regular gnoblars?
    Having been on the receiving end of them, trappers are great for harassing your enemy. With their 'Scout' and 'Skirmish' rule you can get them pretty far into the battlefield early on. Sneak around terrain that's not too heavily involved in the fighting and block march moves, go after warmachine crews, harass single characters or just fling sharp stuff at passing blocks of infantry!
    They're so insignificant (to most players) that committing a unit to go take them out seems like a waste. They're mobile enough that with clever movement and positioning they can be a nuisance for a long time.

Even better, if your opponent DOES committ a unit to take them out, that's one less unit that'll be involved with your ogres for a turn or so. At barely 50 points for 8 almost any damage you cause with them will be worth their points.

A friend of mine plays ogres and he swears by a small unit of trappers, he just loves the little things!

Edit: I just realized when this thread was made! Excuse my threadomancy.
    Last edited by PrOtOcoN; November 13th, 2009 at 09:47. Reason: Threadomancy.

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

+ Reply to Thread