<2000 Ogres! 2000pts of them. 8th ed. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Ogres! 2000pts of them. 8th ed.

With 8th ed, I feel like a fresh start. My daemons aren't really viable any more, and they were boring in any case. The novelty of having an army of flying wizards wore off after a few games.

So, after getting my grubby little mitts on a copy of the 8th ed rulebook and having a look at the pretty pics, I realised ogres would be getting a serious buff. Sharp stuff that can always wound? Stomp attacks? The only thing that would be less effective, maybe, would be their torrent of one-dice magic, and I'd gotten bored with the stuff anyway...

So, here's the list.

Tyrant
    Sword of Swift Striking (ASF), Giantbreaker, Greatskull, Brace of Handguns, heavy armour

I like this build... 6 S6 ASF attacks isn't to be sniffed at, and he gives a nice bit of magic protection, too.

Bruiser
    Brace of Handguns, siegebreaker, heavy armour

Brace of handguns is where it's at. +1 attack for that points cost? GIEB.

8 Ironguts
    full command, bull standard

Because they hit like a freight train.

8 bulls
    standard

Because, well, I need some bulls, and 3 won't do ANYTHING.

48 gnoblar fighters

Intending 4x12. Sharp stuff is a giantkiller now, and with the horde rule they're fairly decent.

47 gnoblar fighters

Slavegiant

I've got to have one for giantbreaker, but frankly they're worth it. Yesterday I watched a giant munch through a unit of 20 skeletons without breaking a sweat.

3 maneaters
    handguns, heavy armour

bodyguard for the tyrant. I really like these chaps - it's effectively a unit of hero level characters without the magic weapons. Also, I expect people to horribly underestimate them.

Total: 1999

Thoughts?

Guardian of DMC's mighty pink thong.

Free Cookies Inside!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Right, FINALLY got round to writin' a (heavily) adapted list. I dropped the slavegiant because frankly I prefer maneaters (and it gives me a chance to try the mighty dwarftyrant), bulked up the bulls and rounded down the guts, and lastly threw in a scrappy for a more active shooting phase. Swapped around a few items, too - my most expensive units should have decent magic protection now, one from catapulting spells onto a huge unit of gnoblars I could care less about, and the other is downright risky to cast spells at.

Tyrant
    Greyback Pelt, Glittering Scales, Mawseeker, Cathayan Longsword, Wyrdstone necklace, brace of handguns

Bruiser
    Brace of handguns, greatskull, cathayan longsword, BSB, lookout gnoblar

6 bulls
    standard

6 bulls
    standard

6 ironguts
    full command, Rune Maw

72 gnoblars

(I know, call me crazy. I just want to see the looks on my opponents faces when I place down a 12x6 unit)

4 maneaters
    cathayan longswords, heavy armour

scraplauncher

BSB and tyrant will go with the maneaters for a very solid 4 units of 6 ogres.

Thoughts?

Free Cookies Inside!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya,

I like the list but i would place more iron guts because the initiative of an ogre is lower and ull strike last anyway. I only place bulls because i have to.... I think that brace of handguns is a waste of points because its ogre and they suck at shooting lol. I always give tyrant a siegebreaker, its ideal for breaking armour saves with str 8, ogres should all have gw´s... how do you think about it?

gr TDR
    10.000points of empire steel is a load of cannon balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Thanks for the reply, but one or two points:

firstly, brace of handguns isn't only used for shooting. It gives +1 attack in close combat! For the points cost I'm sure you can see why I took it.

Secondly, in my current incarnation of the list I'm using another bruiser, and he has the siegebreaker. I honestly prefer this as it frees the tyrant up to take on big scary characters which he can then shut down and devour at leisure (figuratively AND literally)

Lastly, yes, I'd LOVE more ironguts... but I'm not sure where I can find the points to do so and keep my ogre count at a reasonable level. I'd consider 24 ogres about right for 2000, and I'm not willing to drop MUCH below that.

Free Cookies Inside!

+ Reply to Thread