<3000 2500 Ogres 8th Ed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 Ogres 8th Ed

First off, I have a copy of the new rulebook so this is not based off of speculation. I have to say that there are so many options now for ogres that I almost didn't know where to start. Any new items you see are from the expanded common magic items section and can be taken by any army. So without further adeau, here is my first attempt at 8th ed Ogres.

Tyrant
    Great Weapon
    Silver Armour (2+ armour save)
    Magic Carpet (Grants Flying!)

Slaughtermaster
    Gruts Sickle
    Crown of Command (Grants Stubborn)

Bruiser
    BSB
    Heavy Armour

Butcher
    Hellheart

Butcher
    Feedback Scroll (Heavily wounds the caster rather than dispel)

3 x 6 Bulls: (Ironfists, Standard, Bellower) (3x2)

4 Bulls with the same (Slaughter and BSB go here)

3 x 40 Gnoblars (8x5)

2 Gorgers

First of all with the new % system you can take a tyrant and a slaughtermaster. Second off, ogres can now attack in two ranks with ALL of their attacks because of their size. Third, Ironfists now work with the ogre clubs special rule according to the 2010 update pdf now available on the GW website. Huge units of gnoblars gain stubborn when they outrank the other unit so they make great anvils / tarpits / screens for the ogres. Stubborn can also work in conjunction with a general's leadership or next to the BSB. I think a flying tyrant speaks for itself. Thoughts and comments? I would love to hear if other people have come up with simmilar ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

my feeling on it is this - our core infantry, that is bulls and ironguts, hard pretty damn hard. it is my temptation to have minimal characters and lots and lots of ogres.

your list makes use of the slightly cheaper bulls rather than ironguts. nothing wrong with this and 4 units of 6 is pretty damn good imo. personally, i'd get 1 unit of guts in there in case you come across some heavy cavalry or heavy infantry.

the other issue i have with this is that you have too many butchers. unless you are planning to spam 1 die casting (which isn't as effective as it used to be), you probably only need a slaughtermaster OR two butchers, not all 3, especially with the new power dice generation. bruisers or more ogres might be more effective for you.

at 2.5K you have 22 ogre non character models and 5 characters. in 3k, i have 39 ogres and 3 characters. HOWEVER, you have a LOT more gnoblars than me (i have 60 in 1 unit). i think it's nice that 8th has given ogre players more options about how to run. i'm thinking that being more killy in combat is going to more effective, so will be focusing on that. let us know how it goes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinion 8x5 is terrible for the gnoblars. run them in 10x4 so you can use the hoard and have 20x2 shots when they throw their sticks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The horde rules don't count for shooting attacks, only close combat. I have the two extra butchers to hold hellheart and feedback scroll because I think they are important anti magic items. The main caster would be the SM with gruts sickle which allows him to throw in extra dice if he is going to fail. Thanks for the input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know it doesnt count for shooting but archers can shoot in 2 rows and their sticks get x2 shots so 10 x 2 rows is 20 with x 2 for multiple shots. And hoard would give you 3 ranks not 2 so where was the confusion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the thing with horde and gnoblars is, do you really need 10 more gnoblar attacks? Their purpose is to block / tarpit / absorb damage for the ogres. I just feel like having the extra ranks lends better to that purpose. I could be wrong though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TetrisHermit View Post
    Well the thing with horde and gnoblars is, do you really need 10 more gnoblar attacks? Their purpose is to block / tarpit / absorb damage for the ogres. I just feel like having the extra ranks lends better to that purpose. I could be wrong though.
    Well i think a wider unit would tar pit/block better but that aside, Gnoblars can crank out tons of damage at little point cost. Since in 8th edition 6's wound regardless of toughness, gnoblars are almost as good as a clan rat but with range & no armor (i would say skaven slaves but the cornered rat rule changes that), not to mention cheaper! I would add more units of them in the 4x10 formation. and watch them topple anything, just be careful LD 5 is there biggest weakness so keep them near the general until your in cc range. that way you get the block/tarpit/absorb damage you are looking for and alot of extra hits.

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i was thinking of getting a Scraplauncher as they have str 3 and large blast template.

Who wouldn't get gnoblar's in 10x4 with new rules.

But you have way to many characters and not enough bulls. As you can only have 1 ability per squad(Bull gorger,tooth craker, trollguts) I'd get more bulls with ironfists and light armour and in combat you'd have 4+ save. I also recommend a Mawseeker(Big name) as they can shrug off all str 2 weapons and with toothcraker ability they can ignore all str 3 weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Gnoblars View Post
    Who wouldn't get gnoblar's in 10x4 with new rules.
    My Thoughts exactly

I'd get more bulls with ironfists and light armour and in combat you'd have 4+ save.
    You dont get a 4+ save. you get a 6+ ward save for using a sword and shield now in CC. As for the armor save you get im not sure if its 6+ or 5+. Light armor is 6+ but i dont know if the iron fist counts as a shield for armor save in CC. I know the iron fist does not count as a shild when you are out of CC.

I also recommend a Mawseeker(Big name) as they can shrug off all str 2 weapons and with toothcraker ability they can ignore all str 3 weapons.
    This is not true any more. 6's always wound!

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for letting me know about the new rules, i havent got them yet, i recently brought some warhammer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast