<3000 2250pts Ogre Kingdoms (New Book) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

2250pts Ogre Kingdoms (New Book)

Having recently read through the new book, I came up with a 2250pt army. It largely is designed to get to grips with the enemy as quickly as possible.

Lords

Slourth the Render

Slaughtermaster - Handweapon, Extra level, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of the Great Maw. 330

Heroes

Brorr Wallcrusher

Bruiser - Greatweapon, Heavy armour, Dragonhelm, Giantbreaker. 155

Core

The Gutsmashers

12 Ogres - Handweapons, Additional handweapons, Light armour, Full command with lookout knoblar. 407

The Maw-walkers

9 Ironguts - Greatweapons, Heavy armour, Full command with Dragonhide banner and lookout knoblar. 472

Special

The Fire Throwers

3 Leadbelchers - Leadbelchers cannons. 129

The Mawstriders

3 Mournfangs - Greatweapons, Heavy armour, Full command with Banner of Swiftness. 240

Rare

Ol'Stonechewer

Stonehorn - Beastrider has a spear. 250

The Frostbringer

Thundertusk - Beastriders have a harpoon launcher. 250

A pretty simple army designed to get to grips with the enemy as soon as possible and rip them a new one. The Ogres and the Thundertusk will advance together so that the Ogres get to benefit from the Thundertusks "Numbing Chill" special rule. The Bruiser and the Ironguts will advance causing mayhem as they charge in thanks to the Dragonhide Banner which also gives the unit a breath weapon attack that I will be using in combat to make the enemy strike last for a turn.
    The Mournfangs and the Stonehorn will do what they do best and charge the enemy as soon as possible. The Mournfangs have the Banner of Swiftness to help them do this.
    While this is happening the Slaughtermaster will hang back casting Spinemarrow on my units to make them stubborn whilst the Leadbelchers pour firepower into the enemy army.

Let me know what you think.

JvK

Last edited by Jared van Kell; August 29th, 2011 at 14:09.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

is the new book out?

awesome i will have to go look at it 2morrow

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

No, it is not out until Saturday. I just had a chance to play with and against them. Because of this I have placed an advance order for some of the kits coming out. I wrote this list from the book when I got a chance to look at it and am buying to this army list. The great thing is I can always have the bruiser as a BSB by dropping an ogre as i have already converted him with a personal banner that is impressive enough to be a battle standard.

JvK
    Last edited by Jared van Kell; August 29th, 2011 at 19:29.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Hopefully this isn't too bad on the thread necromancy front... There aren't ANY new lists up since the book came out other than this one so I thought i'd see what you make of certain things from your list. Did you play with this army? Or just write the list?

I was just drawing up a barebones ball park figures type list from the army book trying to see what I could fit in and I ended up with pretty much exactly what you have - so I'd be very interested to see whether you've gotten on with this list or not!

I'll post my list up in the ogre army lists section when I'm done in an hour or so, let me know what you think.

P.S. Is it me or is it eerily quiet in the ogre forum considering the new release?
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1466 (x8)

It performs quite well. The Mournfangs are a bit hit and miss as they really must break what they charge on the first turn or are going to run into some trouble. Their best targets are small elite infantry units and cavalry where their high number of attacks can really cause some problems, against large untis they are better off hitting the flank of a unit already pinned in combat by your ogre units.
    The Stonehorn is a nightmare if you roll high and the Thundertusk really did earn its pay.

JvK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

regarding the mournfangs... I was thinking of giving them the dragonhide banner from the ogre book. If you charge you get to reroll 1's to hit and to wound, reroll 1's for your saves AND get a S3 breath weapon that gives the enemy ASL till the end of NEXT turn... isn't this item kinda made for mournfangs?

Also, great weapons or ironfists? They're obviously not for charging monsters, so do they really need the extra strength? I just like the idea of starting off with a 2+ save so once some strength 5 great weapons from the elite unit you charged hit you you still have a nice 4+ and stuff.

Sorry, I just want to make sure I arm my models correctly before I build them... seeing as they're more than £10 a model and people will look at them alot!
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

If you're going to get the max effect out of the dragonhide banner, you're going to want to go the fist route, as GW's will mk the mournfang cav's strike last, too (at least the riders will). Then it's back to init. sigh. The other perks are still worth it, though.
    Last edited by abbazabba1920; September 13th, 2011 at 02:19.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I don't think that banner will be very good on the mournfangs. The breath weapon won't go off until the bearers I. So they'll be striking near the bottom anyway on the first round of combat.

I think it will benefit ironguts more as they can use it in the shooting phase and then take a charge. Or even better they can survive a round of combat and then the mournfangs can support with a flank charge. And get their 20-something swings before the ironguts have to take a second round of combat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jared van Kell View Post
    Having recently read through the new book, I came up with a 2250pt army. It largely is designed to get to grips with the enemy as quickly as possible.

Lords

Slourth the Render

Slaughtermaster - Handweapon, Extra level, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of the Great Maw. 330

~ Earthing Rod and maybe an extra hand weapon.

Heroes

Brorr Wallcrusher

Bruiser - Greatweapon, Heavy armour, Dragonhelm, Giantbreaker. 155

~ With a Slaughtermaster leading your list, you're going to need a BSB. Then give him the Armor of Destiny.
    Take a Butcher, at level 2, and use one of the other lores offered. Players favorites are beasts and heavens. I prefer beasts, as in complements the Maw lore well.

Core

The Gutsmashers

12 Ogres - Handweapons, Additional handweapons, Light armour, Full command with lookout knoblar. 407

The Maw-walkers

9 Ironguts - Greatweapons, Heavy armour, Full command with Dragonhide banner and lookout knoblar. 472

~ You'll really only need blocks of 8 ( 7 models plus a character OR 8 models ).
    Give ogre units the ironfist, as they'll survive CC longer, and have some protection against those tiny bastards with poisoned blowpipes ...
    Give your Ironguts the Standard of Discipline.

Special

The Fire Throwers

3 Leadbelchers - Leadbelchers cannons. 129

~ You could make a unit of 4.

The Mawstriders

3 Mournfangs - Greatweapons, Heavy armour, Full command with Banner of Swiftness. 240

~ A unit of 3, with heavy armor, ironfist, and have the unit flank a Thundertusk. That's all you really need.

Rare

Ol'Stonechewer

Stonehorn - Beastrider has a spear. 250

~ He has a chaintrap, which can be exchanged for a harpoon launcher.

The Frostbringer

Thundertusk - Beastriders have a harpoon launcher. 250

~ One chaintrap and one harpoon launcher.

A pretty simple army designed to get to grips with the enemy as soon as possible and rip them a new one. The Ogres and the Thundertusk will advance together so that the Ogres get to benefit from the Thundertusks "Numbing Chill" special rule. The Bruiser and the Ironguts will advance causing mayhem as they charge in thanks to the Dragonhide Banner which also gives the unit a breath weapon attack that I will be using in combat to make the enemy strike last for a turn.
    The Mournfangs and the Stonehorn will do what they do best and charge the enemy as soon as possible. The Mournfangs have the Banner of Swiftness to help them do this.
    While this is happening the Slaughtermaster will hang back casting Spinemarrow on my units to make them stubborn whilst the Leadbelchers pour firepower into the enemy army.

Let me know what you think.

JvK

1. Slaughtermasters and Butchers, are as tough as their melee counterparts, so there's no need to hold them back. Cast spells between CC, buffing your units for the next scrap.

2. Ogres are quite fast on their own, so there's no need for magic items to make them faster. Anything within 12" is going to wish they weren't ...

3. Keep your leadbelchers moving with the rest of your force. While your units are in CC, your leadbelchers should be picking off units in the backfield.

Its some starting ideas, as I can go on forever about ogres ...

+ Reply to Thread