[2000] Ogre Kingdoms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

[2000] Ogre Kingdoms

Hi Guys,

I am expanding my list from one thousand points and I have created this list.
    Any input is most appreciated.

Lords/Heroes: (641 pts)

Tyrant *Joins Ironguts*
    1 Luck Gnoblar, 2 Sword Gnoblars, Cathayan Longsword, Heavy Armor,
    Mawseeker, Talisman of Protection

Butcher *Joins one of the Bulls Squads*
    1 Luck Gnoblar, 2 Tooth Gnoblars
    Dispell Sroll, Bloodcleaver

Butcher *Joins the other Bulls Squad*
    1 Luck Gnoblar, 2 Tooth Gnoblars
    Dispell Sroll, Skull Mantle

Core: (859 pts)

Ogre Bulls, 5
    Light Armor, Ironfist, Standard, Bellower

Ogre Bulls, 5
    Light Armor, Ironfist, Standard, Bellower

Ironguts, 4
    Standard, Bellower, Lookout Gnoblar

Gnoblar Trappers, 12

Gnoblars, 25

Special: (425 pts)

Leadbelchers, 4
    Bellower

Yhetees, 3

Rare: (75 pts)

Gorger

I know I am spending too much on Lords and Heroes, but one Butcher just isn't enough. I have a hunter I would love to use as well, but I've no place to put him.

Last edited by Quick; August 3rd, 2005 at 14:36.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

no you don't it's an ogre army!

You forgot to put your unit of ironguts.
    I would advise against the maw seeker, as the stupidity will affect the whole unit, and LD 9 isn't that reliable when you need it to pass, a gut maw will be wonders for him.

I would place the caracters the other way around, have the butcher with the ironguts (they already have Ld 8 and the tyranr with the bulls (boost theat LD7)

I am currently testing 2 butchers myself, so I can't tell you if it's a good thing or a bad thing... yet ^_^

Since your ogre units aren't too big a lookout gnoblar would be in order 1 casualty and the caracters can take cannonballs in the groin.

I would advise against more than 8-10 trappers, as they become harder to scout in tight spots.

I would spit the leadblechers in 2 units of 2, so you can have 1 unit firing every turn, and inflicting enough casualties for panic checks. or drop 1 for a unit of 25 gnoblars.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

OK, so it's good to know I'm not too far off the mark.

(I edited the list for the Ironguts, thanks for the heads-up)

I've used Mawseeker in the past with great success, but I did not consider that the entire unit would be potentially stupid(er). I should reconsider that name. Having stupid shock troops would be bad.

I could scavenge the points to give Lookout Gnoblars to the Bull units.

Another thing I was idly considering was dropping one Bull unit altogether, making the remaining Bull and Irongut units bigger, then replacing one of the Butchers with the Hunter, named Longstrider. Against the slower armies I go up against, he works great as a flanker and warmachine hunter. However, then I am not as effective in the Magic Phase. ..Stupid hunter... :glare:

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

I've played a tournament this weekend and managed to steal the 1st place using a single butcher with 1 dispell scroll and the skull mantle. I played agianst empire with 2 mages, and beastman with 2 shamans and did quite well, denying major spells, taking some, and got some gut spells off too, as a single butcher with 2 tooth gnoblars can succesfully cast 4 spells a turn, and opponents will usually take 2 dice to dispell spells you cast with 1, and all the gut spells are very potent.

My list looks like yours, but my orge units are 7 strong, witha caracter they get US 24, enough to autobreak anything on the charge.

I will be dropping the second butcher on my list, but not sure if it will be for a hunter or more troops.

the hunter need not longstrider but some kitties really, they are great and wil boost is US to 7, making him deny ranks and cause panic checks when he charges in combat. his harpoon launcher is also very useful with that BS 4.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

My Hunter always comes with his Sabertusks. Longstrider is cheap enough and he can then effectively keep up with the cats. (No sense in paying for the cats' speed if you can't use it, right?)

I have experimented with giving him Daemonkiller Scars and making him terrifying. It worked quite well against Dwarfs who panicked and ran away...right into the maw of my Gorger. In this list, however, I don't think I have the points to spare.

(The Entourage rule that Hunters and Trappers have is actually quite handy as well, it's an often overlooked perk.)

Another option would be a second Gorger. (Off-hand, I can't remember if I have the 'Rare' slot free.)
    For their cost, they are great as causing havoc and disrupting enemy formations.

So do you think the following is an improvement?
    I know what you said about the Leadbelchers, but I just don't like splitting them up, as their ability to kill themselves is too great. One bad roll and they panic and run away.
    (I don't have my codex with me, so I'll make the appropriate point-wise edits later)

Lords & Heroes

Tyrant (with Bulls)
    1 Luck Gnoblar, Cathayan Longsword, Heavy Armor, Gut Maw

Butcher (with Ironguts)
    1 Luck Gnoblar, 2 Tooth Gnoblars, Skull Mantle, Dispell Scroll

Hunter (with 2 Sabertusks)
    Longstrider

Core

Ogre Bulls, 7
    Light Armor, Standard, Bellower, Ironfist, Lookout Gnoblar

Ironguts, 5
    Bellower, Standard, Lookout Gnoblar

Gnoblars, 25

Gnoblar Trappers, 8

Gnoblar Trappers, 8

Special

Leadbelchers, 4
    Bellower

Yhetees, 3

Rare

Gorger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Our lists have become similar, but I have another 7 man strong unit of bulls in it and only 2 caracters now. I think 2 caracters might help boost up the number of ogres you can field, and a hunter gets very expensive at 210 pts, he his still cannonball sensitive, and without the greybackpelt, he will have problems going through terrain. Plus sick 'em boys lets you use the full potential of the sabertusks so the longstrider might not be nessecary.

Here's what I use:

Tyrant 155 pts
    Great Weapon, Heavy Armour,
    Gut Maw, luck gnoblar

Butcher 180 pts
    Dispell Scroll, Wyrdstone Necklace,
    Tooth Gnoblar

Core

7 Bulls 303 pts
    Extra Hand Weapon
    Musician, Standard

8 Bulls 342 pts
    Extra Hand Weapon
    Musician, Standard

7 Ironguts 346 pts
    Musician

20 Gnoblars 40 pts

20 Gnoblars 40 pts

8 Gnoblar Trappers 40 pts

Special

3 Leadbelchers 175 pts
    Musician

3 yethees 195 pts

Rare

Gorger 75 pts

Models 79
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

OK, I finally got to my codex. (I've been at work)
    I've pointed up the revised list, taking into consideration what you said. (Many thanks, Wolf_pack, BTW)
    I am going to try it out tomorrow night.
    I'm blindly devoted to the Hunter right now, but that will probably change soon enough.
    Anyway, here goes:

Lords & Heroes: (696 points)

Tyrant, General, joins Ogre Bulls
    Heavy Armour, Cathayan Longsword, Luck Gnoblar, Gut Maw, Wyrdstone Necklace

Butcher, joins Ironguts
    Luck Gnoblar, 2 Tooth Gnoblars, Skull Mantle, Dispel Scroll

Hunter, joined by 2 Sabertusks
    Mastodon Armour

Core: (803 points)

Ogre Bulls, 7
    Light Armour, Ironfist, Standard, Bellower, Look-out Gnoblar

Ironguts, 6
    Standard, Bellower, Look-out Gnoblar

Gnoblar Trappers, 8

Gnoblar Trappers, 8

Gnoblars, 24

Special: (425 points)

Leadbelchers, 4
    Bellower

Yhetees, 3

Rare: (75 points)

Gorger

Total: 1999 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Put out your result here and we'll see if you need any changes.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I think we've got a winner here.

I played against a Dwarf list, albeit one not tailored specifically to beat Ogres. (i.e. only one unit of Thunderers, two warmachines, a bolt thrower and an organ gun) He also had some Ironbreakers in there, some Hammerers and a slew of Warriors. There were a lot of rune-inscribed weapons.

I was particularly pleased with the Butcher, who was able to fire off more spells against the Dwarfs than I had ever seen. Basically, I consumed the two Tooth Gnoblars on the first turn in order to exhaust the Dwarfs' prodigious supply of Dispel Dice. Once I had a spell in play, my opponent would have to burn two of them to dispel the Remains-in-Play spell, thus allowing me to cast another.

More or less, I kept Bullgorger on the Ironguts and Toothcracker on the Bulls for most of the game. I also got off a very timely Bonecruncher that I feel ultimately won the game for me.

The Hunter ran up one flank, with a unit of Trappers nearby, while the Yhetees ran up the other, with the other unit of Trappers. The Hunter never needed to get into combat, he just kept firing his Harpoon Launcher into the Hammerers, who wanted to wait out the effect of the fire being poured on the Hunter. The Mastodon Armour worked to great effect, as he got up twice from mortal shots from the Bolt Thrower.

Was he worth his points? I don't know...

The Gorger was largely ineffective, as the Thunderers blew him away the second turn after he arrived. I swear, I just must not know how to use him. He was out to get the Bolt Thrower, and didn't even make it near it. A unit of Trappers eventually pelted its crew with enough Sharp Stuff to where the Dwarfs decided to leave. (Probably to take a bath. :p)

This recent performance of the Butcher has made me reconsider swapping the Hunter for the second Butcher.

I was alternately considering perhaps a Scraplauncher for some range, or swapping the Hunter for another unit of Yhetees, but losing the Hunter would cost me a unit of Trappers as well...

Decisions, decisions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Good thing it worked out for you ^_^

Perhaps the hunter did not get is points back, but he sure drew away fire from the rest of the army and kept bouncing back up thanks to the mastodon armour, this as evaded you some panic checks to your lower Ld units.

how did he kill the gorger? he should only get 1 round of shooting at it, 4 T5 wounds isn't easy for thunderers to take out and then he hits combat.

the second butcher won't do as good, and this is why:

with 2 level mages you will have only 6 power dice, split in , so 3 each. on average they will attemp to cast 2 spells each (one on 3+ and one on 6+) wich would be the same as a single butcher with 4 power dice. also, they only have the Ld of 7 wich doesn't make them too good with bulls, and ironguts are too expensive to field 2 units of them to babysit the butchers.

Also the enemy will be won't fear wasting 2-3 dice on the 6+ spells, as to the 3+ spell he must use 2 to be safe about it, so 6 dispell dice will let 1 spell through each turn.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast