Warhammer Doubles Tournament Time! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Warhammer Doubles Tournament Time!

Ok gents, it's that time of year again for me, and it's time to plan the list. As some of you may have read, last year I went to the Warhammer FB Doubles tournament with my mate and wrote a report for LO (My Warhammer Doubles Tournament Experience)here. We even got a photo in the UK White Dwarf which was very nice too. I'll lay the rules out for you gents on how we have to pick our armies and then i'll be asking for advice.

The rules as far as army selection are that each player would take a 750 point force that when combined with each other will come to no more than 1500 Point Army. This army needed to abide to the standard rules of a 1500 army i.e. only 1 rare choice in total, 3 special, 2 plus Core. Therefore each force needed only 1 Core Choice and at least 1 character that was able to act as general.

This year I shall be taking my lovely missus with me, and being somewhat of a newcomer to WFB she will be taking the only force she has at the moment which is wood elves.

So far we've picked the following for her force:

Noble on a Stag accompanied by 6 Wild Riders - these fellas will move up the flanks, engaging flanking Cavalry and skirmishers, and hopfully getting a flank charge themselves.

3 x 12 Dryads - essentially these guys are hard as nails and they are difficult to shoot. So we get them into combat with another unit and do as much damage as we can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now i'm still debating about whether to take Lizardmen or Ogres. Both can ally with the Woodelves, but both are distrusted allies (-1 Ld when 6" away from eachother), not sure a problem for the Imune to Psychology Elves, but maybe for me.

So 750 points of Ogres eh. I need at least 1 Bruiser to lead the army, and the obligatory unit of Bulls. After that I can get pretty much anything. I was thinking one huge unit of Bulls with a Bruiser and Butcher to steam role the board with the help of the Elves, but if the unit if lost that's Game Over. So I really need some help from you guys.

750 Points of Ogres that must include a Bruiser and at least 3 Bulls.

Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, I think Dryads are a fantastic unit, but the archers would really complement Ogres really well.

And with gnoblars so cheap, you'd have a nice ranked unit to help out both the dryads and any ogres you take.

I usually just take a naked bruiser, no magic items at all. A bruiser, I don't know. You don't have much total magic to work with, and any army with decent anti-magic will shut you down. Unless you want a scroll caddy, I don't know if I'd bother. It's a lot of points you could do something else with.

How about taking a unit of bulls, say 4, and a unit of ironguts. Put the bruiser in the bulls, and if your opponent tries to take them out, shift him to the irongut unit. If the opponent ignores the bulls and goes for the ironguts, then you lose a more powerful unit with the guts, but your character's unit arrives unharmed.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I need a unit that can engage an enemy ranked up unit in the front and do enough combat Res so the Ogres dont run away. The problem I keep finding is that an enemy ranked up unit from the start of combat will have on average LA, Shield and Hand Weapon (so 4+ save). They will automatically have 3 rank, Standard, Outnumber. So the Ogres have to kill 5 just to break even. 3 naked bulls and a bruiser. The 3 bulls will hit with 5 of their 10 attacks and wound with 3. The 4+ save becomes 6+ so probably 3 dead. The Bruiser then has 4 attacks, will hit with 3 and wound with 2. So That'll be a total of 5 dead + 1-2 from impact hits. The enemy champion and any character can strike back. So even if the whole unit makes it into combat, which against a shooty heavy army probably wouldn't happen, they still may not win combat.

This is where a butcher could really help, beause we'd have 4 power dice and we only need one dice per spell.

I came up with this -

Bruiser
    Heavy Armour
    Tenderiser (For those inevitable monsters, treekin, giants and to kill chariots easily)

Gnoblars x28 (For the inevitable Giants - shots from Gnoblars will take down a giant on odds. They are also a usful buffer units)

Bulls x3 (Accompanied by the Bruiser will hit the enemies hard units - and will be trailed by
    Bellower Drayads)

Yhetti x3

Yhetti x3
    (I wanted Yhetti's because out of all the armies present last year we saw the most Wood Elves, and of them 90% were tree spirits. So Yhettis will count out their Magic Save and wounding on 3's. Also the 14" March & Charge means turn 2 combat most of the time and Run/Pursue 3D6. Also the -1 to hit in combat is fun too)

TOTAL: 747

What do you reckon to that list?

The Lizardmen alternative I came up with was basically have a skirmisher army:

Skink Priest
    Dispell Scroll x2

Skink Priest
    Dispell Scroll x2

These guys would like to have second sign for the bolt thrower, but meh! Portant of Far would do.

x12 Skinks
    x12 Skinks
    x12 Skinks
    x12 Skinks

With 12" march they would go up the flanks shooting with blow pipes. 96 Poisoned shots per turn is fun.

Stegaddon.

This fella is the hard hitter - go straight up the centre shooting as he goes, and ram the enemies biggest baddest unit. Terror will hopefully take effect on some units, the stegaddon being stubborn would hopefully keep it in combat, and the Dryads would back it up.

-----------------------------------------

So which is better?

+ Reply to Thread