How good/competitive are Ogre kingdoms? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How good/competitive are Ogre kingdoms?

I am considering starting OK as my 2nd fanatsy army. I like the mini's plus the fact there are less to paint

They're obviously great in combat but I worry they'd get hammered in the shooting and magic phase.

Is this true?

It's not so much missing shooting that worries me, it's getting taken apart in the magic phase!

Is this a general problem for OK?

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I have heard that they are not one of the strongest armies, but if you like them, I'm sure they are a lot of fun to model, paint, and play, and that there are ways to make them survive the magic phase admirably and make it through to eat their enemies whole. Yum!

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

in 2K games magic is not really a worry. if you have some units with trollguts cast on it (they get regeneration and MR:2), and 3 butchers with a couple of scrolls, you've got yourself a good magic phase, both offensive and defensive. also, gorgers can make short work of a lone mage, and you could annoy them with trappers.
    another thing you can do is use bull screens (using only bellowers, and no extra equipment), which protect the ironguts which should arrive unharmed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Ogre Kingdoms are starting to become more and more competitive as OK players are really learning what is effective or not. If you look at many tourneys they are starting to move up in the average placings. I myself started OK and almost stopped playing them because it took me awhile to find what works. Now they are a supremely fulfilling army and my win/loss ratio is pretty nice.

On to the question at hand however, Ogres are weak in the shooting phase since the highest armor save they can get in the army is a 4+, however multiple wounds and playing MSU style is quite effective at handling that downside, along with such spells as Toothcracker and Trollguts.

Ogres aren't weak in the magic phase by any means. The average 2k+ list has 3 butchers, each with a dispel scroll. This makes for a decent magic defense. As to the offensive part of the magic phase, Ogres are also quite handy as we have a "relentless" type of magic lore. That is to say, our spells are both quite handy, and incredibly easy to cast, so at some point they will start getting through (especially since its credible to say that to be safe opponents will usually spend one more dispel dice then you did power dice to safely dispel). You also cant forget to take into account that each butcher can have multiple "remains in play" spells out at the same time. This all makes for quite the powerful magic phase.

This also isn't taking into account if you play a skrag list (the only time you'll see a slaughtermaster in under 3k points)
    "I am the architect of fate!"

+ Reply to Thread