How long do Ogres live? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

How long do Ogres live?

This question just popped into my head this morning.

Assuming an Ogre lives to somehow die of old age (I know its a stretch ), how old can an Ogre get?

I am thinking that they can live pretty long, because some of the short fluff sections of the army book that talk about famous tyrants and guts of legends make two references. The first is to a Tyrant that had TONS of offspring, which leads me to believe that they live quite awhile, or it could just be that Ogres produce multiple whelps per birthing.

The second reference is to a maneater or something that was an active mercenary for over 60 years (I cant remember if it said if he is still alive or not). Now this second reference could also depend somewhat on how fast it takes an Ogre to mature into a physically powerful specimen of Ogre society.

What are your thoughts?

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem as though Ogres have the potential to reach a ripe old age, where it not for their ravenous kin. The Eyebiter tribe, which is basically the family of Grandfather Malron eyebiter, is at least 60 years old according to the army book, as that's how long the tribe has monitered the Empire's caravans. I speculate that Malron is behind the tribe's cooperation with the Empire, which would put his tyranthood at 60 years, and means that he must be older than 60 because it takes time for an Ogre to reach the level of experience and strength necessary to become a tyrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Keep in mind, if it's a male Tyrant, he's not exactly restricted to 1 offspring in the oven at a time. Being the big dude in the tribe, I'm sure he'd have access to plenty of females...

But I've also gotten the impression that they have a lifespan at least comparable to humans, assuming they don't get eaten themselves.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I've found they usually live until about turn 3. Sometimes less.

Thinking that as things get bigger their metabolism slows then Ogres would live to about 70ish, taking into account poor medical knowledge and hygiene.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I think they can get a bit older than 70 myself, because the example I gave of Golfag Maneater (pg. 75 of the OK book) it says that he has been a merc. for over 60 years. It also implies that he is still an active mercenary (therefore fit enough to fight).

This would lead me to believe that assuming a relatively normal time as a "young ogre", lets say 15-20 years, would imply that ogres are still somewhat in their prime even at the age of 75-80+.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

they have stats like humans for the most part (except for the W and T) so I would say they probably live the average age of a human ~ maybe a bit longer because of the extra wounds. As with any race, there are always a few exceptions that happen to outlive the rest of the population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I'm probably being a bit pedantic, but I would have thought that if you were going to make comparisons between human and ogre stats, that Wounds and Toughness would be the only two really WORTH comparing when trying to figure out how long they live. Being a better shot or a better swordsman (BS and WS) won't really make someone live longer (in terms of dying of old age anyway). But resileince and general hardiness (Toughness and Wounds) probably will (or at least is the closest thing to a measure of what you'd have to consider).

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

I find that the average oger lifespan is comparable to the time it takes a dwarf Thunderer to take aim and squeeze the trigger.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I beg to differ Bonzi, I seem to remember a game where your thunderers took two turns of shooting to put one wound on my bruiser.

But anyways, You cant really rely on stats like WS, BS, or LD to determine how long (fluffwise) a model can live. You really need to just read fluff on them. The fluff that I have read points in the direction of Ogre's living for quite a long time.

For example, Elves boast many of the same physical stats as humans, but of course live considerably longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An elephant may live as long as 70 years so ogres cant be too far away from that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to be superbock, if anyone cares.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast