heavy cav - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heavy cav

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heavy cav

Hey all! How do you deal with 1+/2+ heavy cavalry? I can't seem to charge them and anything other than Ironguts tends to have a hard time wounding the bastards.
    Braingobbler works, but its often hard to get it through...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Ogre armies generally suffer against knight-heavy armies. They're faster than us, and hit hard as well. There's no way around this, but a lot of gut magic, careful manouvring and baiting can help.
    I use several units of bulls and leadbelchers to draw him in, and get my ironguts in position for a flank charge. If your opponent is on to your tricks, i'd advise casting trollguts, or toothcracker on your units the turn before he charges. I use less baiting units (bulls and leadbelchers) than hammers (ironguts).
    Before he reaches you, braingobbler (most heavy cav is Ld7-8, so it can be useful), bonecrusher (most cavalry is only T3 anyways), and the bangstick (use it early in your magic phase to draw out DD) are your best friends.
    A trick to power up your braingobbler is to cast it with a butcher with skullmantle after the opponent's dispel dice are used up.
    Another trick i use is to give the aformentioned butcher with the skullmantle a siegebreaker, making him S7, and challenge whatever heavy unit is charging me. Almost nobody expects this (only players who have fought/play ogres as well). I had a whole unit of bret knights run after they charged because of this, and i loved it :rofl.

Exactly which army are you fighting against with a lot of knights? Different tactics are good for different armies; e.g. brets have huge flanks, and usually almost no magic, but M8, while empire is only M7, but gets a 1+ save.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I'm with AD on this. There is no reason to take a full on charge from knights, flee and then flank with the unit close by. If they have cannons, you're going to want to space your units out anyway and not run everyone in a row.

xxx xxxx xxxx
    oooo oooo

something like that, kind of staggered, where the butchers can see close ton anyone and cast things like trollguts, etc.

Your abbreviated list and the opponent's list abbreviated would help with more detailed ideas (but AD has given some pretty solid advice already)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah baiting works really well. I usually place my gnoblars in front of my ironguts and have them flee when charged thus leaving the charging unit open for charge by my ironguts. Its not always that easy, but it works pretty often for me.
    Currently listening to: Everything your mother disapproves of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Two things work best for me. Bonecruncher (against bret cavalry armies, my 3 butchers always get past their magic defense) and fleeing charges, then I bring the hurt by charging with my ironguts. I'm not quite sure why you are having a hard time wounding, against almost any heavy cavalry your Guts should be wounding on 2+ and reducing their save to a 5+.

As Arisen said, braingobbler works well against human heavy cavalry also. Doesn't work quite as well on Dragon Princes though and doesn't work at all against Black Knights
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used a pincer move against empire heavy cav.

i had 2 units of irogunts, each with banner, bellower and 4 guys. and a unit of 3 bulls naked - not literally :{P

set up bulls so that they are in range to be charged, but have enough space to flee. position the two irongut untis on either side of the bulls facing the oppostie irongut unit. you have to make sure that the enemy will be able to hit both units if they deicde to charge your ironguts units. make sure they are in your charge arc so u can charge them if the dont chage you.

if the charge ur bulls run, and the will be left in the middle hopelss, and ready to die. just becarefull the arch lector or priest doesn't try and make the unti unbreakable. don't let them do it.

i called a coward for pulling this manouver. but it worked.

+ Reply to Thread