Ogre Kingdom'e Ineffectiveness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogre Kingdom'e Ineffectiveness

I didn't spend the time looking through every post, so this may be a duplicate topic. I've had a OK army for about a year now and have played a bunch of games, and the more I play them, the more I regret buying the army. By no means am I a bad player, but I just can't find anyway for OK to be competative anymore. I assume when they first came out, they were decent, but they still couldn't have been great. And now, they are crap. Their melee is their best strength and that's still not very good. Both shooting and magic are ridiculously weak.

Now, I don't think I'm gonna want to wait until the next book is release and I'll probably end up selling them. Before I do so, are there any tips and tricks I can try that might chance my mind? Has anyone had any real success with OK? and how?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never played against or with ogres, I have only watched matches with ogres involved, but against anything but new players, I have yet to see an OK army win. The people in my flgs are writing their own modifications to the OK army book to balance it against the newer armies; maybe try house ruling the heck out of the book.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Only time I've had my butt handed to me was against a magic heavy skaven army who had some insane luck.

By no means are ogres a good army, but they aren't bad neither. I really think they need an armor boost to make them fair. It makes since, their massively fat bodies could give a +1 armor save. An armywide rule of all ogres get +1 armorsave would boost this army so much. Then cheapen maneaters and yhettees and there you go.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

well, the ogre tactics are pretty straight forward right, its just a matter of getting to the enemy and bashing the S%!# out of them, so you need to think about what the ogres lack and then fill those week lacking spots with Dogs of war Hire troops,

there has been alot of armies with mengil manhides manflayers in them, personaly i don't use them (strictly becuase I have this thing about theme) but from what I've heard there a very good unit to use in OK.

so basicly just fill in the gaps with DoW units
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

On your turn if you can get leadbelchers in range to shoot, then you flee from any charges. You should be able to rally on a 10 with them, which just happens to reload them. And that should set you up to charge with your ironguts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie the great View Post
    well, the ogre tactics are pretty straight forward right, its just a matter of getting to the enemy and bashing the S%!# out of them, so you need to think about what the ogres lack and then fill those week lacking spots with Dogs of war Hire troops,
    Blerg!?? Straightforward? Ogres are anything-but straightforward. Running straight at your enemy is a recipe for disaster as Ogres will have trouble getting past static CR with only WS3. Ogres, I have found, require a lot more finesse than most armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ogres are not the top army but I have had more wins then losses whilst playing with them.

Using lead belchers to bait and flee before a heavy charge by maneaters works very well.

But my ogre army is not very conventional as it has 8 maneaters and 6 lead belchers.

Dont knock ogre shooting, 6 leadbelchers shooting kills an average of <10 swordmasters per turn
    As long as you aim at high point cost units you can have a big effect.
    Check out Sepulchre, Zombie expansion for necronmunda
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ecromunda.html

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Blerg!?? Straightforward? Ogres are anything-but straightforward. Running straight at your enemy is a recipe for disaster as Ogres will have trouble getting past static CR with only WS3. Ogres, I have found, require a lot more finesse than most armies.
    LOL, sorry I should have said, that is my general tactic.......then again im stupid and also loose alot.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogres are one of my 3 armies. I love playing them more than the others as well. I don't win every game with them, and I'm not an awesome general as far as marshalling my troops around the tabletop. However, I find that I win more games than I lose. Most of my opponents are Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves, Khorne Chaos, and Dwarves.

Any of the Ogre units can compete in CC, especially with carefully applied Gut Magic. I personally play a pretty well balanced list of Bulls, Ironguts, Leadbelchers, Yhetees, and some gnoblars. I even like to run a Hunter every now and again. It's been a long time since my army hasn't had a chance of pulling a victory sometime in the late rounds.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

A tyrant in a unit of 3 ironguts with full command and +1 toughness / stubborn can take on anyone. And they have for me. People tend to forget to try and dispel your buffs, or they'll use just 2 dice to not hurt their magic phase and that means you got a pretty nice shot the buff stays on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast