Librarium Online Forums banner

Starting the Ogres possibly

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mynameisgrax 
#1 ·
Hi there guys.... and girls.

Im looking to start an Ogre Kingdoms army, and they're basically an all Ogres Army I was thinking off. Three things with this.

1. Would this be some good units start off with: Ogre Bulls, Ironguts and a Tyrant?

2. Would the Ogre theme get a bit boring: Because Im only planning on having a smallish army with this being the setting for it, so would it be boring gaming with this?

Lords and Heroes
Ogre Tyrant
Ogre Butcher

Core
12 Ogre Bulls
4 Ogre Ironguts

Special
4 Ogre Leadbelchers

Rare
Ogre Giant

3. I dont really want to have an Ogre Army cause there all fatties, anything I can do about that? :dance:

See less See more
#2 ·
1) Unless you're planning on starting off at 2,000+ points, I think a Bruiser is more in order than a tyrant.

2) As every battle is going to be a challenge (Ogre's ain't easy), I doubt they get boring. That particular list looks alright to me. Probably not enough points for a tyrant, though. Generally, people say you should invest points in Ironguts and leave the Bulls at home. I'm a little suspicious of this strategy, although I can't back it up with much experience in WHFB. This isn't the place for that debate, however.

3) You can add gnoblars! Maybe a Dogs of War unit. Gorgers too (which are, by definition, skinny ogres). And Yhetees,

#3 ·
As for the list.

Your tyrant will have to be used as a butcher at this point level.
I would only get one box of bulls and get another box of Ironguts
I would use the bulls as 2x3 and the leadbelchers as 2x2

well Ogres are one of the cheapest armies because they are nearly all plastic. You don't have to use GW ogres as i notice you are in Australia and they don't have many GW run tourneys there.

All the independent tourneys will allow you to use different companies models as long as they are on the correct base.

This naturally increases the cost as other companies make there models in metal.

However i have to question why you would want to spend your money on an army that you dont really like???

#5 ·
Well I do like the Ogres, they're by far my most favourite fantasy army, backed up by the Wood Elves.

Anyway I made some ajustments to army for my first couple of games.

1x Bruiser
6x Bulls
4x Iron Guts

And maybe I could magnetise the Bruiser/Tyrant since they come in the same box. So I can have a Tyrant and a Bruiser made up in like 20 secs!

#6 ·
My friend you can do so much more with an ogre army other than just getting an ogre army, to keep you enthusiastic

anyway what im trying to say is that becuase many ogres are mercinaries or will willingly do mercinary work for a bit of cash, there is nearly and endless list of army theme,
And with what your planning to get here are some theme stuff to consider.

1)we know there are 6 different types of maneater models they are the pirate, the arabyan,the paymaster, the cathayan/empire, the ninja and the lady, so you could use any one of them as a tyrant for your army then theme the rest of your force aroung that ie. a pirate army with lots of leadbelchers and hook hands, hats and eye patches etc.

2)your own theme, you could theme an army of your own, my latest "thought that will probably never happen" is a maw seeker army with lots of butchers, bulls with twin ironfists and no hair or beards etc. or even ogres from the mountain like Enkiels ogres WIP.

#7 ·
Hi guys, sorry not keeping this very up to date but.....

For my Ogres I bought a Tyrant/Bruiser box which I'lle magnatise so I can switch them out whenever I want, I also got 6 Bulls and the army book.

I still havn't came up with any fluff or a name for my Tribe, but one thing I was thinking off is they dip their right hands into the Tyrant's cauldron of blood and gore before battle in honour of all the enemies they're slain.

#8 ·
I still havn't came up with any fluff or a name for my Tribe, but one thing I was thinking off is they dip their right hands into the Tyrant's cauldron of blood and gore before battle in honour of all the enemies they're slain.
That's a good start... that's all it takes to get the fluff ball rolling. Ever heard Nick Cave's song "Red Right Hand" or read "Paradise Lost" by John Milton?

#11 ·
Ironguts!

Ironguts are far superior to bulls, for only a marginal increase in points. I'd only use the 1 mandatory unit of bulls, and make all the other ogres Ironguts instead. I converted most of mine out of bulls, using the standard poles (I only use one standard in my army, in the Bruiser/Tyrant's unit), extra bits and a little green stuff to make the great weapons.

Gnoblars are a lot of fun. If nothing else, they can claim a table quarter, earning back their points two and a half times over! ^_^ Gnoblar trappers and Gorgers also work well, for messing with your opponent's plans.

The Ogre battlebox/starter set is a great place to start, with 6 bulls, 4 ironguts, 4 lead belchers, and 20+ Gnoblars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.