Help! Against Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Against Dark Elves

For the last couple of weeks, I have been playing against Dark Elves, and I got my butt kicked. Especially against one list which includes 15 dark riders, a war hydra, 1 dreadlord riding a manticore with plus STR 3 lance , 2 repeater bolt throwers, 15 witch elves with the armour piercing banner , 10 repeater cross bowmen, and 3 level 2 wizards. In my last game against him, I lost because his dreadlord on a manticore went throught my army and killed my scraplauncher on Turn 2. At the end of the game, I lost 2 units of guts and a scraplauncher and no characters. My army list basically is 3 units of 4 guts, 3 butchers, a tyrant , lots of gnoblars, a scraplauncher and 2 gorgers.

In the game, all I did was run over his flanks, killed 2 repeater bolt throwners, witch elves, and the repeater cross bowmen.

Any changes about changing my army list. I am taking out my scraplauncher and replacing it with yheetes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Unfortunately for you, he pretty much has your number. The way to beat ogres is to outmanoeuvre them. Manage that, and you've won.

Thankfully for us, the units that can run rings around us also tend to be rather squishy, and taste good with rocks in a lovely creamy tomato soup. Don't ask how I know, I just do. To exploit this little biological fact, stuff at range can be employed to good effect.

There is more good news, as we can get a surprising number of ranged units. Leadbelchers, Maneaters with a brace of handguns, the Butcher has a few horrible recipes of squishy doom, and we can use DoW (XBowmen ftw!), and heck, even gnoblars can do something (I've killed more than you'd think by throwing sticks and rocks). One good Shoot/Magic phase, and all those arrows suddenly aren't so scary.

Personally, I would focus on sending only one or two units to popping off the missile units. The gorger(s) can take down the rest with ease.

Do you run a Tenderiser in your list? I've killed a spiky chaos lord of horrible doom in one round because of that thing. Another fun item to use against gunlines is the Mastodon Armour. I give it to a Bruiser with a GW who runs solo. I edge him slightly further ahead than the rest of the army to make him a tempting target. When he inevitably gets shot at, he just stands back up until he reaches the squishy units worth lots of VPs.

Barring that, I guess you just need to look at ways you can survive the charge. We have some cool magic that really helps against shooting, and if you invested in some, you should find everything gets that much easier.

Hope this helps,
    -AFG//

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Most players know how to counter gut charges, but remember that they go before combat. Roll those impact dice before he goes nuts on you.

The new Dark Elves are a really tough matchup.

The manticore will be hard to pin down. It might actually be an occasion for a hunter for the shooting. Speaking of shooting, a rhinox scraplauncher can make mincemeat of his infantry. Maneaters armed with handguns (24" ranged ones in their case) double shooting against a large target can cause problems. Gnoblars can shoot double at a large target with all ranks since they're firing upwards. That much sharp stuff will hurt it.

The manticore will be a much easier kill than the dreadlord, which is certain to have good protection. Knock the manticore out from under it and leave the dreadlord stranded and dodging your units.

The hydra is another tough one, and maybe another reason for a hunter. Maybe send Maneaters after it, or Ironguts. Whatever you do, don't let it charge. 13 total attacks with hatred can eat your lunch.

Did your gorgers go for the RBTs?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His witch elves BT and X-bows were in a corner and i went for the Bt but after that the witch elves were right there and I REFUSE to take maneaters, sure there awsome models sure there awesome at doing everything but there sooooooooo many points and 30$ a model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like a brutal pickle you are in. My humble suggestions.

Hunter- An instance where I can fathom him being useful. Range against a large target would be lovely hitting it on 2,3's. Also kitties to hunt those mages. Kitties have 3 attacks each which is more than enough to put down a dark elf sorceress.

X hand Bulls- Think some screening Bulls with X hand weapons. They can angle those knight charges and stop the missle fire from devistating your hard troops before combat. I run 2-3 units of 3 with X hand and a bellower.

Butchers - Are soo tasty.If his general is on a manticore flying around you that leaves the rest of his junk open for some Gastromancy. Brain gobbler is the most underrated spell ever, couple it with the skullmantle and you can have his knights or bolt thrower crew running off the table.

Don'ts - Gorgers. They don't come up when you want them to and against elf boltthrowers will get gunned down by simply pivoting.

Scraplauncher is another don't. Super expensive and unwieldly. Spend those points on some Ironguts to beef up the list.

Just some thoughts. IMHO and good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO use that mass hunters build.
    Tyrant and 3x Hunters 2x Scraplaunchers and spice it up with lead belchers and trappers.
    Add to that a living shield of guts bulls
    Its is strange i know but you get 3 fires from Hunters and they should at average hit at least twice with no armor save wound once with on average 2 wounds in 2 turns on a large creature. Than add to that trappers to block marsh so you could get additional fires, and make a dual charge on it if aproches.
    they can be usefull as long as you dont let enemy bolts him 'em too much.
    Or simply go for ironskin tribe, add a lot of terror causers and run into them

Or if you want a moral victory (by makin' your opponent run out of the room looking ten years older) make a gnobler hoard army with 1000+ gnobs that many bickers can realy mess with persons patience and make even elves ponder on shortness of life

+ Reply to Thread