Starting Ogres... probably - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Ogres... probably

Hello there,

I was playing 40K for the last year (IG) and I'd also like to start FB. I don't want anything remotely resembling IG (e.g. swarms, shooting, weak models...) so I'm considering Ogre Kingdoms. I don't plan huge force (at least yet) 'cause 40K is still my "main" game. Something like 1500 pts at most (or eq of 1500 in 40k; in a case FB points are somehow different).

The main concern so far is – are they really competetive? Straightforward? So far I get mixed answers, from "oh yeah they are totaly awesome" to "worthless and outdated, a bunch of loosers basically". Normally I like strategies which require using brains a lot But I just got too tired and for the sake of change I want an army of a few strong guys who's the most advanced strategy is to come close and start smashing, kicking, punching, tearing apart (and other appropriate methods of slaughtering to the last).

I really love the look and the feeling of them and it would be a shame if they require master skill to win. Though looking at those highly intelligent Ogre faces I doubt they use very subtle and complicated strategies... do they?

What's the best start? Is their battalion any good? E.g. I've read somewhere you can convert Bulls to Butchers, that would be nice since I like converting. What else shall I need for a competetive 1 - 1,5k army? Is Tyrant too expansive for that? Is it possible to fit 2 gorgers in such an army (or is there any need at the first place...?) What list would you suggest in general?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sejanus; January 9th, 2009 at 05:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Yeah, Id start off with the battalion, becuase as you said you can convert bulls into butchers really easily, ironguts (or bulls for that matter) into bruisers, and being mercinaries of sorts have a large theme range, from pirates, chaos, arabic, cathayan, empire, savage...get the idea.

But if you can get your hands on one, Id get the army deal, becuase it comes with that great bruiser/tyrant model and all the rest, with it you can make up to 1300-1500pts.

as for srategy and all that im affraid im not the one to ask, instead, you should ask Loki or AFG there the smart ogres round ere.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

First up, due to FoC restraints, you can't use the Tyrant or two Gorgers until 2K.

Next up, OKs definitely require a bit of skill to win. You have to make sure your opponent isn't a step ahead of you, as the OK army is made up of a few expensive units. That said, just remember that there are no bad armies, just that some require more skill than others.

If you want to start off with them, get the Battalion set if you have the money. It will get you a good starting force, and you can convert a Bull into pretty much anything. My Hunter is an ex-Leadbelcher, actually. From there, play a few games, decide your playstyle and what your force needs, and buy it. WHFB is a game about individuality, so without a doubt, tune your army to your specific tastes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thank you for your replies Hopefully I will get the battalion & army book today and start some painting and probably converting once I get myself familiar with sprews and Ogre lore

+ Reply to Thread