What is wrong with the giant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

What is wrong with the giant

I am considering starting ogres and before I make the purchase I decided to ask you experts What exactly is wrong with the slave giant, I hear everyone complaining about it but never a reason. Is he too random, too expensive, a missile target or just a waste of a rare? So what is your view?

Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

The thing that is wrong with the slave giant is that he is not stubborn. All the other giants will get stuck in combat and be able to at least hold a flank while the opponent tries to get through the high T and wounds. Our giant will lose combat and get run down. Other than the loss of Stubborn he has the same pros and cons as other giants. However, that one loss generally makes him a poor choice for us.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

He is cheaper points wise though than other giants, and has +2Ld over other giants i believe?

Personal advice: If you want one, go for it
    Last edited by Phoenix; April 9th, 2009 at 22:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    He is cheaper points wise though than other giants, and has +2Ld over other giants i believe?
    Well, no, since that would make him Ld12.

I wouldn't bother with a Slavegiant, since, to add to NecroNid's point, they tend to flee more. My Giants tend to lose a lot of combats, but high Ld Stubbornness tends to keep them in the game. With the lack of said rule, Slavegiants are far more likely to fall over, which makes for bad news.

To my mind, it's too much of a liability to take one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Would taking two and putting them together be better? that could stop them being outnumbered.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Could be, although spreading the Terror woud also be fun. Id advise you to read through this thread from the start, which leads to the the linked post

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1424743 (Ogre Woes: Desperately need help!)

Goes to show that Stubborn is not the be-all and end-all of Giants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I love the Slavegiant. Sure he is not Stubborn...I say so what. I have started taking him in almost every list I use and yes, there are times where he doesn't do that well, but I have also had time where he really does strike fear into my enemies hearts. For example, playing a WoC player who had 2 units of Khorne Knights with exalted on juggernauts. Well Long story short Giant rear charged each unit and Flailed with chain enough to kill both by the end of the game. Granted yes there was a lot of set up to make that happen but the giant proved his place in my army that day, in fact I just recently bought the GW giant model and he is beign converted atm. Honestly, try him out different things work for different people. I am an OK player who loves hunters, maneaters, and slavegiants, but hates Yhetees and Gnoblar Fighters....figure that one out (but I do absolutely love my little trappers squad )
    "Far to the east of the old world within the craggy valleys and cave networks of the Mountains of Mourn, lie the Ogre Kingdoms."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Ah, I'd have to join with the pro-giant faction here. I think for starters, it's a great model and that's usually all it takes to convince me... but, he can also hold a flank well enough, set him up to deal with pesky fast cavalry or flyers, don't send him after infantry blocks or characters.

And to add to what Phoenix said, two giants + a tyrant with demon killer scars could be set up to make a nice, solid wall of terror... could be worth a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am a fan of the Slavegiant. Okay he isn't Stubborn and has Throttle with Chain instead of Thump with Club which makes him a little less effective against large targets than regular giants but luckily if there was ever an army that is well suited to cope with large nasties it's us.

The reason why I like him is because he's 30 points cheaper than a regular giant and when faced with a heavy shooty army he seems to be a giant bullseye tearing up the table and people would rather fire at him than at your 500 Point Maneater/Tyrant unit.

Ogres has never been a point and click army and neither is their giant, don't send him in alone like some sort of 50 feet tall cruise missile, but combine his charge with a wandering gorger or a unit of Bulls and be amazed at the increased combat potential of both.
    Last edited by Kadros; May 7th, 2009 at 17:34.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Besides not being stubborn, my biggest reason not to take them is they are rare. For 100 points less I get a gorger and I absolutely love gorgers to death. Would I rather have a naked unit of bulls and a second gorger instead of a slave giant? You bet your @$$.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast