Experiance with character builds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Experiance with character builds

Just wondering if there are any players out there who've had enough games to test out all the magic items in the book and if so how they perform. It's all well and good theorizing about them, but I'd like to know if they do what they say on the tin

Thanks in advance

"Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

In bigger games, I always take the Tenderiser on something. It's our way of killing characters and big things. It's how I managed to kill a previously unkillable Chaos Lord in one round of combat, but any character it gets close to tends to have a short life expectancy.

For smaller ones (generally <1K), I find the Wallcrusher Big Name on a Bruiser with a GW or AHW to be of use. 2S5 hits on a unit can help a lot with CRes as you'll be wounding on a 3+ at worst most of the time.

On a Hunter, I like the Longstrider Big Name and the SoBattle. Against small units and gunlines, he really excels. That said, I tend to take him for his manoeuvrability. If a unit's stuck in combat, guess who will show up on the flank of said combat in a short matter of time.

Against gunlines, a sneaky one is a Bruiser with the Mastodon Armour and a GW. I run him solo, as he's my fire magnet. When they inevitably kill him, I have to roll a 2+ to get him back up again. The best bit is that he's typically good enough to take on almost all shooty units in combat on his own, and come out better off.

With regards to Butchers, typically a Dispel Scroll and something else (another Arcane Item usually) is the norm, though the Hellheart is a nasty piece against magic-heavy armies from what I hear, and I'd like to try it out at some point.

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been having lots of fun with this Tyrant build lately.

Tyrant:Greyback Pelt, Bullgut, Longstrider Cathayan Longsword, Brace of Handguns
    Heavy Armor, 2x Sword Gnoblars, 1x Luck Gnoblar

I run him solo denying ranks on flank charges with the Bullgut making him US 6 on the charge. WS 7 and Greyback Pelt means that pretty much anything needs 5's to hit.

Sometimes too ill take a Slavegiant and swap Longstrider for GiantBreaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could I only run Greasus in a 3k+ list?
    Im a little confused...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, gresius takes up two lord choices "because he's so powerful" , so the game would have to be at least 3000 points...

I'm not exactly sure, but from the little i've heard, Gresius isn't worth the points or the two lord slots.... although he doesn't look all that bad on paper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for Warhammer Fantasy being a deamon player magic is always in my favor. particualy i like to use heralds due to there low point cost and powerfull special abilities e.g. using a nurgle herald on paliquin, not only does he have high toughness and regeneration he has a mighty 9 attacks which are poisoned. combine that with banner of eternal pestilence all poison wounds are doubled.
    if i was to use a named character id take skulltaker with jugernaught, looking at the odds he as 0+ armor, WS 9, S 7 and can killing blow multi wound characters in one round of combat what more can you ask for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, Greasus is a big, fat, greasy loser. Not worth the points in the least. At 3000 you're much better off with a tyrant and a slaughtermaster. A BSB is nice for helping with break tests and combat resolution.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Running a lone character is a lot of fun, but really risky, especially against shooty/artillery armies, like Dwarves and Empire.

The Tenderizer and Siegebreaker are the weapons of choice, with the Tenderizer being the better, and more expensive choice.

The only armor I ever see get used is the mammoth armor, and only when using a lone character to draw fire away from the rest of the army. Otherwise, normal heavy armor is fine.

The only gut plate that really seems worth it is the greedy fist. Destroying magic weapons is fun, and not that difficult if you add a couple luck gnoblars. The other gut plates don't seem worth the cost.

Wyrdstone necklace is a MUST HAVE for Tyrants, especially if they have the greedy fist. Otherwise, I don't particularly like any of the other talismans/magic items, besides the fistful of laurels, and jade lion if you're taking the mawseeker big name.

On that note, mawseeker, kineater, and giant breaker (if you're using a slave giant) are very good names, and longstrider is very good if he's going to be running alone.

Otherwise, the only thing I'd consider giving him is a brace of handguns, but they're optional, as they aren't exactly cheap for what they do, and you can't use them while marching.

For butchers, I'd just load up on dispel scrolls and a bangstick. Some people like the halfling cookbook, but I think it's overpriced. The hellheart is interesting if you play against a lot of magic heavy enemy armies, but otherwise the dispel scrolls are better.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread