How to Make an OK Warband (get the pun!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

How to Make an OK Warband (get the pun!)

Right, so I'm tryig to start a project working of numerous warbands that can be played against each other, mostly by my friends who don't play the game. My three aims are the warbands being equally competitive, tactically flexible, and unique.

However, I am finding the OK book to be the hardest to make an effective list. What kind of units to you find work in smaller point games?

For those who don't know, warbands...

-500 points
    -Max 10-12 units (don't remember which)
    -No minimum unit size for ogres, minimum of 3 for gnoblars
    -One hero (maneater can be used as hero choice) that costs no more than 150 points
    -Up to one ledbelcher or scraplauncher

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by daelrog; October 4th, 2009 at 21:01.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm trying to get started with Ogres, I've yet to play a game yet and have to finish my Warriors of Chaos first (over ambitious spending...). However, you could maybe go with a force whom is based more around lots and lots of gnoblars and one that's more around bulls. Then maybe another who's more around ironguts. This way you have one swarmy type army, one middle ground, and one elite? I have no idea if they'd be fun and or competative against one another but its a thought?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Thanks for the respons. I should make myself a little more clear though. My idea is to make eight warbands, one from a different army, one of which will be OK. So, rather than multiple Ogre lists, I'll have just one that can fight other armies.

Given the warbands rules, here seem to be the options presented...

1) Leader- I can either go with Maneater or Bruiser. Bruiser will take up a good deal more points, and won't have much room for magic items, but 20 can go pretty far in the ogre list. Then again, it'll cost about another ogre's worth compared to just the maneater.

2) Core - I need at least one bull. Give him a second buddy to work with, or keep him by himself, and spend everything I can on ironguts? I tend to agree on the ironguts superior to bulls opinion, but XX wasted point on one ogre is still a lot if a second buddy can help.
    On top of that, do I spend points of a gnoblar unit? Obviously if there's a few points to spare, but will a big unit even do anything?

3) Special and Rare - One rare one special, or two specials no rare. GIven how expensive a scraplauncher is (for 500 point force) I'm inclined to use a ledbelcher as my war engine (that's what one counts as in warbands). However, what about the other choice? A gorger seems like a good choice, but maybe I should forego it for a couple of ironguts more.

My main goal is to make it as competitive as possible, as it seems to me that currently OK is te weakest army that I'm working with to make these 500 point warbands. Not saying the army is the weakest overall (Dogs of War, possibly Chaos Dwarfs in larger games), but is simply weaker in this situation. The stronger I can make this list, the less I'll have to hold back for the other lists.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Last time I played I used a maneater for general, but we allowed him to have mawseeker bigname to be nice to them. They hit pretty hard with great weapons, and they're not much worse than a bruiser considering cost difference. For core, definitely stick with 1 unit of bulls, I'd go with 2 guys with add. hand weapons. I think a unit of gnoblars would help, especially as you can have a unit of just 10. Leadbelcher beats scraplauncher at that point cost, would be a lot easier for newbies as well. I'm inclined to say the same for the gorger, its not too complicated, but it really shines at taking out warmachines or holding up a troublesome unit, which you don't see much at warband size. Ironguts are always the bee's knees.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x5)

Thanks for the input Akaroth. Definately rep-worthy advice.

Given what you said, this seems to be the way to go. (which I'll post here rather than start an entirely new thread).

Maneater w/ heavy armor, great weapon

2 Bulls w/ extra hand weapons

4 Ironguts
    XXX

8 Gnoblars
    XX

Ledbelcher
    XX

Gorger
    XX

EDIT: Edit via Akaroth's post below.

Thoughts? Advice? Musings? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by daelrog; October 10th, 2009 at 17:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Well it depends how you want to use gnoblars, and what victory point rules you're gonna play. I f grabbing table quarters is part of it, you would only need a unit 5 or so. The other way is to use them as a shield from charges/shooting as they won't cause panic to ogres. Teh list looks good, 4 irongut shouldn't have any trouble with most units. Only one problem, maneaters can only choose one of the weapon options, otherwise should stand up well.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

+ Reply to Thread