Here comes 8th Edition! Lets eat it(discussion of tactics) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here comes 8th Edition! Lets eat it(discussion of tactics)

Hello friends I am actually a bit on the new side and I was just here to discuss Ogre tactics as of the new 8th edition so lets dig in shall we?(this is not going to cover all the units just some I like)

Tyrants
    Can now be taken in lists as low as 1500 points and should always be taken over the Bruiser. I dont think I need to stress how powerful a single Tyrant can be and how effective he is against other foes. Combined with a powerful bull charge and a great stomp and your foes will soon be looking for other baddies to fight.

Slaughtermaster/Butcher
    In my opinion the vast increase in the opponents dispel made this character far less effective, however that does not mean you should shelf this model. The purpose of the slaughtermaster is to get spells off and at a plus 4 to all of your casting values he really is worth his points. He will draw your opponents dice and only scroll out very quickly when the opponent realizes that your unit of bulls just went to toughness 5.

Hunter
    I believe hunters are great units for flank charges and the fact that they wander about with a bolt thrower in their hands makes the opponent want to put as much range into them as possible. I understand the complaints when people say "he will be killed by ranged" but not when you keep him six inches away from your bulls(and slightly retracted) as the Ogre army book states no ranged unit can target a single character if he is within six inches of a larger closer unit of anything but gnoblars. This creates a fast moving and hard hitting supporter who can flank charge nearly on command to support your basic troop choice and anyone who has ever played with or against empire and has seen the effectiveness of detachments will tell you he is the empire equivalent for your core choices.

Ironguts
    Ogres with great weapons. Not much more to say. Give them Heavy armor and they may see a foe off the board. Dont worry about striking last, if you are playing Ogres for initiative values you may wish to seek another force.

Bulls
    Your basic ogre bulls and the brute workforce of your army. Field them in a horde of 12-15 at higher points and watch your opponent walk around them for fear of the charge. I never give them armor as they will rarely take that 6+ and its not worth the points unless you give them the 5+ which they will still rarely get better than a six.

Gnoblars
    I don't use them but they are a great unit and now you can field a solid block of 50 in a horde for 110 points(groinbiter included) and when they get charged you stand and shoot with 40 shots!

Leadbelchers
    A great and terrible unit at the same time and I find they are grossly overestimated which is why I always take at least one unit of 4. Your opponent looks at them and tries to devote something to deal with them because cannons on ogres are scary, which divests a vital chunk out of their force you can deal with later, or they ignore them for the most part because they play Ogres and you can use the Belchers to charge the foes flanks when they look the other way.

Yhetees
    I personally love these guys they have helped immensely and I love how they can charge over buildings and other terrain. Be careful though they have no armour and can be killed at range with ease. I usually stick them into good hiding places and have them surprise the enemy. If one yhetee can see you from behind the building that you can see them from they can charge.

Scraplaunchers
    A stone thrower on wheels thats great in combat and uses the large blast with killing blow. Point, fire, and watch the foe cower in fear as you kill 5 spearman and make them run from 25 percent casualties.

Gorgers
    Great warmachine snipers and characters who like to hide are doomed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the tribe.

First up, i traditionally play 1000pts and still use 7th ed,i have already pre-ordered the "ISLAND OF BLOOD"(As they come with 74 models i couldn't resist wanting extra models).

In larger matches, it would be smart to include a Tyrant in a game as they have access to better weaponry and have that much needed leadership.

OK, from reading this you are certainly on track, I love ironguts and bulls armed with additional hand weapons, i now field larger units of 6 to maximize the new rules. As Ogres only have Initiative 2 there's almost no chance of hitting first, so why not get str 6 ogres with 3 attacks each!

I don't arm ogres with Ironfists unless i give them light armour which leads to them being 5pts off an Irongut which i usually get.

I love my gnoblars as they only cost 2pts a model and have a ranged weapon and add much needed ranks to the combat. With 8th ed i plan on getting a unit of 40 minimum.

Leadbelchers and Yhetees are expensive points wise and as i only play 1000pts i usually don't use them. I still haven't purchased a scrap launcher but i will soon as i only now realized how good they really are. large blast and str 3. Gorgers are pure awesomeness as they can really pack a mean punch in destroying war machines and as i only play small games there is nothing over powered so they can actual sit there slowly munching there way through a unit of basic warriors. Hunters seen like an ideal choice when it comes down to flank units, but they are too over priced, and can only deal with small units of flankers which are hard to come by in the new ed.

i don't fully understand magic so i will leave this area alone. I wish you the very best with your own tribe, you really summed up the pros and cons of the ogre codex.

GOOD LUCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say now, never leave home without butchers.

The changes to Remains in Play spells really strengthen the butcher's casting, meaning that one butcher can cast even after he's put toothcracker on a unit of bulls and the buff will stay in place.

Ogre magic is still pretty reliable, and with one butcher can be cast one one dice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Casting on one die is risky, since all spells now fail if you have a natural dice roll (without the caster's level added) of 1 or 2. That means that when casting with one die, you have a 33% failure rate. Not exactly reliable.

I had a nice minor victory a couple days ago with my Ogres against Empire. The war machines really hurt, but as soon as I reached close combat, I tore through even their toughest units with ease. Here's what I definitely know:

Tyrant/Bruiser: very good close combat power, but with two full Ogre ranks getting attacks in close combat, they aren't quite as necessary as they used to be. They're still very good, just not mandatory. The BSB is very important though, as re-rolling panic checks really helps keep your Ogres in the game.

Slaughtermaster/Butcher: THESE guys are mandatory. I think the Slaughtermaster is worth the points if you're already playing a Tyrant. Use two dice to cast and you'll definitely cast it, and use three and it's very unlikely to be dispelled. With 8th edition rules you can now cast multiple remains in play spells with the same caster, and have multiple buffs on each unit, which is a really powerful combination.

Ironguts: still very good, but only cost effective in smaller units. A large block of Ironguts simply costs way too much. It's much more cost effective to use bulls and spend the points on an extra hero instead. They make good bodyguards for casters, and can hunt shooty untis, cavalry, and war machines.

Bulls: Great for putting together large blocks of monstrous infantry. They're not as strong as Ironguts, but they don't really need to be. I ran 10 bulls + Tyrant + BSB Bruiser in one unit, and had a nearby Slaughtermaster give them multiple buffs. That unit basically won the game for me, as nothing could stand up to the 3x Impact hits, 5x S7 attacks, 4x S5 attacks, 12x S4 attacks, and 3x stomps. I used a 3 Ogre wide formation for the extra rank, but in retrospect, they would've been even better with a 4 wide unit, giving me 4 impact hits, 18x S4 attacks, and 4x stomps.

Gnoblars: They're still very good for their cost, and now make an excellent 'shooty' unit. I ran 30 in a 15x2 formation, getting 60 shots a turn.

Leadbelchers: great for harassing, distracting, and sniping small units. They drew a lot of fire away from my bulls.

Gorgers: Fantastic for hunting war machines, but watch out for units that can move and shoot. In 8th edition, units of bowmen can now turn around to face enemies behind them and then fire in the same turn (as long as they don't have the 'move or shoot' rule). Since they have no armor, Gorgers are vulnerable to mass shooting.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im wanting to start ogres
    and ur post is very helpful
    thx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

You could always have multiple remains in play spells off of the same butcher. It is a rule in our own ogre army book that allows us to do so. All that 8th ed did for us there is to stop having people question us when we do so.

Pg 60 of the Ogre Army book, "Unlike remains in play spells, a butcher may have more than one Gut Magic spell in play at any one time, although no unit may have more than one Gut Magic spell in play upon it at any one time."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new FAQ go rid of this paragraph i think. meaning that our units can have more than one spell on them at a time and removing the ogre kingdoms special remains in play spell (just making us the same as everyone else)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here I have a question; Can a unit of 9 bulls or ironguts with a tyrant and a bruiser and SM beat a very nasty tooled up knight unit with characters when they receive the charge? because I'm not quite sure how many wounds an ogre unit would suffer and deal against those nasty brets..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I got a unit of 6 Ironguts and a bruiser charged by 10 or 12 knigits and I butchered them and ran them off of the table. THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST USED COCONUTS!!

+ Reply to Thread