Additional or Ironfist? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additional or Ironfist?

I was shocked when i saw the points value for the Ironfist and additional hand weapon. Ironfist is no longer as versatile but is under half as many points from previous codex.

So i was talking to the guys at my local GW and instantly asked which one would go for, and to my surprise he said additional hand weapon. So yeah im thinking to have a unit of 4 Ogres with additional hand weapons and musician, i would buff them with Bullgorger to make them deal more damage with each hit, and deploy them long and skinny 4 by 1.

I would also get a unit of 6 armed with Ironfists they would fight with standard and musician and would (hopefully) hold their their ground and take little damge as i would buff them with Toothcraker and Trollguts. These bad boys would be deployed 3 by 2, traditional formation.

thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Its really situational and depends on your playstyle.

For me on the normal ogres its a pretty hard toss up. If I am running 2 casters, I will probably give them the hand weapon, as I really like beasts magic, and would take the sig spell, getting my ogres a (possible) total of +2 S and T (with both ogres and beasts). Running one caster, probably going for the ironfist.

On mournfang though, its a no brainer to me. Heavy armor plus the ironfist PLUS the extra +2 to the save from the mount? 70 total points for D3 impact, 7 attacks at S4+, and stomps all put together with a 2+ and a parry? Yes please.

On a side note, am I the only one happy with the gnoblar trapper change? I think thats going to be fun as hell to run as a distraction/harassment unit. Sure they will crumble to a charge, but with the trapper ability, and stand and shoot, it should at least remove a few models for the cheap.
    The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Dontfeedjay, when you say "with both ogres and beasts", in reffernce to the magic lores, are you intending to hopefully get the spells you want from ogre magic lore to boost the units stats along with the first casters results from lore of beasts?

Its just that it sounded like you were going to give them both lore of beasts which you could only do with 3 casters. If you take 1 or more spell casters (except fire bellies) in your list then you must choose Lore of the Great Maw first.

For Punching Gnoblars question, it looks like you know how and when to use which choice as demonstrated by the 2 unit builds you have given. I take it its for a small pts army or i would consider bigger units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

@Sal trock -- Thats exactly what I meant with the 2 casters and spells. I probably should have explained that a little better. Just maybe 1 slaughtermaster with great may and 1 butcher with beasts. Or 2 butchers or whatever you like, depending on the size of the game.
    The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedjay View Post
    On mournfang though, its a no brainer to me. Heavy armor plus the ironfist PLUS the extra +2 to the save from the mount? 70 total points for D3 impact, 7 attacks at S4+, and stomps all put together with a 2+ and a parry? Yes please.
    I have not read the new book yet, but i dont think calvary gets a parry save even though u have a shield and weapon. I believe that is found in the main rule book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow76 View Post
    I have not read the new book yet, but i dont think calvary gets a parry save even though u have a shield and weapon. I believe that is found in the main rule book.
    mournfangs actuallly do as an ironfist can be used for a parry while mounted.

anyway, i m liking the extra hand weapon. For me its 8 points for 8 extra attacks. thats great. but i also have a defensive unit with fists
    for the emperor,for the great maw,blood for the blood god,
    armies:guard,ogres,40k daemons,skaven
    for the horned rat!!!!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x5)

Ironfists all day, every day. Anything that helps the Ogres' survivability is a big plus, and Monstrous Support caps out at 3 attacks anyway. Since you have fewer models in the front rank than normal infantry (3-6 vs. 5-10 ), and you attack more times per model than normal infantry (3 vs. 1-2), the AHW just isn't anywhere near as valuable.
    Last edited by rothgar13; September 7th, 2011 at 23:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I agree with rothgar on the ironfists.
    The Ogres are hard to kill as is, but anything to make them live that bit longer is even better.
    I will be running 2 units of Ogres in my 3k army, both being 4 wide by 3 deep with ironfists, and I think that will be a pretty solid unit.
    May the Dragon of Unhappiness never fly up your bottom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Additional Hand Weapon - Gives you another attack.

Ironfist - Is a shield in all respects, gives a parry save to mounted models, and a 5+ save will save your ogres from those annoying bastards with poisoned blowpipes.

Ironfists all the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the ironfists.

The additional handweapon's benefit will be lost on all the ogres behind the first rank. And because of the scarcity of ranks our army runs you may never see the benefit. Where the ironfists, increases durability of the ogres quite a bit.

Also they look cooler.