Equipment? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Equipment?

In your opinion what is the best equipment for tyrants/bruisers and slaughtermasters/butchers? Why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I like Ward saves on most characters - they're hard for enemies to negate, and work in conjunction with armor saves. Given that Butchers and Slaughtermasters can wear magic armor, I'd aim for Armor of Destiny on my most important caster, and a Talisman of Preservation on the most important fighty character (Bruiser BSB, Tyrant, whoever it may be). An alternate strategy is to make sure you don't get hit - Fencer's Blades and Glittering Scales means any opponent at or under WS4 hits you on a 6, and you can squeeze in a smaller Ward save on the side.

On offense, a Great Weapon typically suffices (an Ogre Blade will also work if you're paranoid about Ethereal enemies and such), unless you boost your Strength through the Giantbreaker big name and/or the Greedy Fist, in which case the Sword of Swift Slaying is probably better, unless you foresee having to chop down a Steam Tank or something.
    Last edited by rothgar13; September 15th, 2011 at 04:06.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by rothgar13 View Post
    I like Ward saves on most characters - they're hard for enemies to negate, and work in conjunction with armor saves. Given that Butchers and Slaughtermasters can wear magic armor, I'd aim for Armor of Destiny on my most important caster, and a Talisman of Preservation on the most important fighty character (Bruiser BSB, Tyrant, whoever it may be). An alternate strategy is to make sure you don't get hit - Fencer's Blades and Glittering Scales means any opponent at or under WS4 hits you on a 6, and you can squeeze in a smaller Ward save on the side.

On offense, a Great Weapon typically suffices (an Ogre Blade will also work if you're paranoid about Ethereal enemies and such), unless you boost your Strength through the Giantbreaker big name and/or the Greedy Fist, in which case the Sword of Swift Slaying is probably better, unless you foresee having to chop down a Steam Tank or something.

I'm pleased with your equipment suggestions, for the tyrant, so I'll shake up my own. Keeping the Fencer's Blades, I'll replace the Armor of Destiny with the Glittering Scales, and add the Talisman of Endurance.

I don't agree with giving a tyrant a great weapon, as he has the highest (I) stat in the list, apart from Golgfag.

Unless I'm playing a 1k game, my bruiser will always be a BSB, and equipped with heavy armor and the Talisman of Preservation.

Great weapons for butchers, always, and magic items to reflect their role. Since I use 2, I'll equip one for bonuses to his casting, while the other carries a dispel scroll and an item with a bound spell. This is usually the Ruby Ring of Ruin.

I can't comment on the Slaughtermaster, as I don't use a wizard to led my force, nor have I ever run a list more than 2k.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

At 2K or higher, you'll find you need a L4 or some bangin' magic defense, or you'll get rolled by the stronger lists out there, especially if your opponent is playing a magic-hog army. Can't stress that one enough, I'm afraid, which is why a lot of folks these days have been shelving their Tyrants unless you're running at 3,000 or so points, when a kitted-out Tyrant and a kitted-out Slaughtemaster become available. Also, the Butcher can't take a Great Weapon (but the Firebelly can) - that said, they can wear magic armor.

Initiative is something that went by the wayside the second you picked up the Ogre army - I say take advantage of your huge Strength and kill things dead when you do hit them, because you're not beating any other character to the punch, and you need S7+ to chew through those pesky armor saves you're bound to run into if you fight other characters for a living (and there's not much point in bringing a Tyrant otherwise!).
    Last edited by rothgar13; September 15th, 2011 at 08:47.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

At 2K or higher, you'll find you need a L4 or some bangin' magic defense, or you'll get rolled by the stronger lists out there, especially if your opponent is playing a magic-hog army. Can't stress that one enough, I'm afraid, which is why a lot of folks these days have been shelving their Tyrants unless you're running at 3,000 or so points, when a kitted-out Tyrant and a kitted-out Slaughtemaster become available. Also, the Butcher can't take a Great Weapon (but the Firebelly can) - that said, they can wear magic armor.

Initiative is something that went by the wayside the second you picked up the Ogre army - I say take advantage of your huge Strength and kill things dead when you do hit them, because you're not beating any other character to the punch, and you need S7+ to chew through those pesky armor saves you're bound to run into if you fight other characters for a living (and there's not much point in bringing a Tyrant otherwise!).

Again, you've pointed out some great ideas ...

I'm going to rethink my general choices.

However, on page 89 of the OKAB, a butcher can purchase a great weapon. It was one of those rules I was hoping GW would keep

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Can they now? Does that also extend to the Slaughtermaster? Because if so, I'm making the switch from Ironfist to GW in a second.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Can they now? Does that also extend to the Slaughtermaster? Because if so, I'm making the switch from Ironfist to GW in a second.
    Sorry, but no, Slaughtermasters lucked out.

I gave mine the Fencer's Blades, and he's quite happy with it.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

I think the Hellheart is pretty much an auto-include.

On one hand, opponent's will be overly paranoid about it possibly blowing up entire unit/s. Even at the very worst, you can negate 1 magic phase just by hitting 1 enemy wizard with it. Add a dispel scroll, and you've effectively shut down or at least seriously neutered 2 magic phases!
    Best of all, it destroys undead - especially VC's who are forced to take wizard levels on every single vampire in the amry. (god I hope GW wakes up and fixes this problem!!!)

I'd say in tourny lists ogres won't leave home without the heart, but in friendly games, it's probably a bad idea to take it against undead because it can so easily break the game...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
    I think the Hellheart is pretty much an auto-include.

On one hand, opponent's will be overly paranoid about it possibly blowing up entire unit/s. Even at the very worst, you can negate 1 magic phase just by hitting 1 enemy wizard with it. Add a dispel scroll, and you've effectively shut down or at least seriously neutered 2 magic phases!
    Best of all, it destroys undead - especially VC's who are forced to take wizard levels on every single vampire in the amry. (god I hope GW wakes up and fixes this problem!!!)

I'd say in tourny lists ogres won't leave home without the heart, but in friendly games, it's probably a bad idea to take it against undead because it can so easily break the game...
    Great tip! Rep!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by LeapingLizard76 View Post
    Great tip! Rep!
    Thanks!

I think a Firebelly makes for an ideal carrier for the HH... He wants to get close anyways with his breath weapon right?! Of corse, you can always switch it up between the belly and another wizard every now and then to help keep people guessing.

Hellheart is definately a great game-changer for ogres, and it can pretty much auto-win against anyone who isn't willing to learn how to deal with it... (ie; move your wizards into bunker units, take an earthing rod on your Lv4/undead general...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast