Core choices. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core choices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Core choices.

I am having a difficult choice in just getting multiple ogre bulls or some of the iron guts. HA and GW is nice, but at 50% less points the ogres are still good enough and you get a lot more. since our guys are expensive as is, why not try to maximize the number we have. We dont have great armor saves so maximizing our guys will allow more of them will get into combat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

For ogre bulls, I personally like the ironfists. The general save isn't much, depending on who you're facing, but love the good parry save in CC.
    Since my lists don't pass 2k, I only take units of 8 bulls.

I'm trying a "death star" unit of 8 IGs, and 4 characters. In theory, the characters will soak up the incoming fire ( and such ), leaving the IGs to add to impact hits ...
    This is still ongoing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you have any command models they have to go in the fornt rank, therefore your characters cant soak up the hits.

The question i have though is should i take the IronGuts at 43 pts a model or should i take a reg ogre with a upgrade at 32 pts a model. for every 3 IG i can get an xtra reg ogre for free if i just bought them. I know the ig have heavy armor, GW, and 1 xtra LDRship, but is it worth pyaing that much more per model?

if you try the death star unit make sure you take the Rune Maw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take ironguts as magic banner holders and for beating the pulp out of things like dwarves and knights. Thier high strength with the GW also makes them good for monster hunting.
    for the emperor,for the great maw,blood for the blood god,
    armies:guard,ogres,40k daemons,skaven
    for the horned rat!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I'm the third vote for IGs, as their ability to take a magic banner makes places them over bulls.

From another site, there's a thread on deathstars, and some players are trying out using Maneaters. I'm not sure about this, as you need to (1) pay more to equip them with heavy armor and an ironfist and (2) I believe their special rules are better off used in other roles.

Senior Member Punching Gnoblars's Avatar
    The warp somewhere, took a left at Comorragh and got a little bit lost...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe in quality over quality and love spaming bulls In 1K i run 2 units of 8 bulls which give anyone a good thump, that being said i do have difficulty dealing with high toughness monsters :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Punching Gnoblars View Post
    i believe in quality over quality and love spaming bulls In 1K i run 2 units of 8 bulls which give anyone a good thump, that being said i do have difficulty dealing with high toughness monsters :/
    im sure you mean quantity over quality. i think i am the same way, i think ill take the IG as long as I have a TT with them to make everyone strike last . In reality i will take one unit of each most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

both have their places and I'd just try a bit of each at different times, though I find IGs as much needed muscle against some of the bigger nasties one can come up against. Though I've been fortunate with my parry saves, my ogre hits and wounds oft times aren't up to snuff, so getting to wound on 2's is a nice change of pace As others have mentioned, a magic banner is nice and can give a bit of versatility to the unit. I know people use the +1 LD banner to increase their general's LD, but with this banner, a unit can be a nice flanker that can operate w/o the babysitting of a bsb/general and come from the flank, where they wouldn't quite be missing their lack of a parry save too much (and indeed make an opponent miss theirs!).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

with the new book i find myself leaning away from ironguts, they are good but i just think normal ogres are better, even with the ironfist upgrade they are still cheaper meaning you get more this in turn means you have more points for other stuff. i normally run a horde of 24 ogres with slaughtermaster and butcher and bruiser for fun, they generally wipe the floor with anything that they hit, even when they get side charged they still have a chance to not break.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I prefer Ironguts - they have above-average Ld, they have Great Weapons on what is already a slow army anyway, and the ability to wear heavy armor and carry magical banners seal the deal pretty convincingly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast