Leadbelchers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadbelchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leadbelchers are essentially bulls with cannons. You will only really get one round of shooting with them, and then they charge. The cannon they have costs 20 points basically, but it is VERY doubtful they will actually kill 20 points worth of enemies with one round of shooting. On average they are going to shoot about 5 shots, half will hit so thats about 2.5, and varing on the enemy it will kill 1 or 2 models, which means unless you roll lucky, you are not going to earn your points back with the leadbelchers. With this in mind, why should we pick leadbelchers over cheaper and perhaps better flanking units like iron guts and maybe just bulls? Don't get me wrong, the leadbelchers are probably one of the coolest models in the Ogre Kingdom army, but im not sure if they are any good for their point cost...

"...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also get the 5+ save if I remember it right...

Besides, you take them because even with so few shooting its still your only shooting except scraplauncher.
    They ignore penalties for moving and their cannon is VERY good...
    Also the statistics hardly ever represten reality, my leadbelchers are for one purpose - They find a small unit of enemies that I dont like (Each army got those elite small packs) and then I pump them full of lead.

Just think of it, your bulls and Ironguts smash into the enemy lines... Then the leadbelchers sneak around, find a lonely hero (Usually a mage) and shoot him up with no risk at all.
    If anything survives that mean shooting of yours you can charge him with their Ogre powers and if the enemy dies they move forward (or wait), reload and repeat...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I am yet to see leadbelchers do what they seem so capable of on paper. My friend has played a few games with them and they have done almost as much damage to themselves as they do to the opposition. I played him with orcs and goblins at the weekend and he fired 4 of them at my black orcs and only actually killed 2 models. I was terrified of them before that and then all of a sudden they didn't seem to bad. One of these days he will let go with a devastating volley and wipe out an entire unit, I just don't want to be on the receiving end
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

Realistically, leadbelchers should dish out 6 shots per ogre on average and a 1 in 6 chance of a misfire. Not too bad odds really. I've had some meagre successes with them as flankers and one shot units. I've never awful luck with them either in terms of misfires.

And they only have light armour, so count their saves as 6+ only.

They usually aren't the best character hunters in my experience, I'd rather leave that to gnoblar trappers or gorgers.
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Time Reader, second time writer.....

Lead belcher are dirt

( AS I WHISPER FOR YOUR REDEMTION, I SCREAM OUT FOR YOU FORGIVNESS!!! (
    TAKE ALL YOU WANT, THESE BLOODY SKIES WILL REIGN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are such ridiculously cool models though. Plus I heard they do well in groups of two or three on each flank to guard from calvary or flank with themselves.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I keep thinkin tho... iron guts are better flankers in almost every way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Lord Jusen@Feb 23 2005, 19:37

...then I pump them full of lead. ...
    [snapback]337258[/snapback]
    ogres use lead in their cannons? i always thought they just stuffed those things with random rubbish just prior to the battle.
    as to good uses of lead belchers, mayhaps in a stand-and-shoot reaction against a unit that could really dish out some damage, if you can clear the front rank of the enemy, doesn't that mean they don't get those attacks. you can follow up with flank charges, conceivably destroying the enemies super unit without taking a casualty. except maybe a few lead belchers depending on how long it takes you to get those flankers in there.
    that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Grimbog Elf Ater@Feb 24 2005, 19:35
    Realistically, leadbelchers should dish out 6 shots per ogre on average and a 1 in 6 chance of a misfire.Â* Not too bad odds really.Â* I've had some meagre successes with them as flankers and one shot units.Â* I've never awful luck with them either in terms of misfires.

And they only have light armour, so count their saves as 6+ only.

They usually aren't the best character hunters in my experience, I'd rather leave that to gnoblar trappers or gorgers.
    [snapback]338017[/snapback]
    6 shots each????
    how?
    all i do is send a weaker cheaper unit in to them, if they stand and shoot my expensive stuff is fine if not then i draw or lose by a small amount in combat and run in a bigger unit to finish em off, so no they dont make their points
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by grimgor137@Mar 3 2005, 14:12
    6 shots each????
    how?
    all i do is send a weaker cheaper unit in to them, if they stand and shoot my expensive stuff is fine if not then i draw or lose by a small amount in combat and run in a bigger unit to finish em off, so no they dont make their points
    [snapback]343378[/snapback]
    6 shots each is a little off, on average you'll get 5 shots each (6 sided dance, chances are 0 (misfire), 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, add it all together you get 30, divide by 6, 5). So a unit of 4 will hit about 10 times or so, with their shots.

Ogres with guns are still ogres. Not to mention the guns are ogre clubs. A unit of 4 have 12 attacks, at Str4 w/ a -2 armor save. So fine, send a weaker unit and prepare to probably not win by much, if you win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast