Regret Buying the Ogres? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Regret Buying the Ogres?

Hi guys and gals,

In my area, there are a lot of Ogre lists being abandoned or farmed into Dogs of War because their owners have become disillusioned at the difficulty of playing the Ogre list.

The general consensus is that these players basically wanted multi-wound, unstoppable, killing machines and they were dismayed to find an army that was perpetually being outshot and out-magic'ed, while still being far from unstoppable in close combat, with poor leadership to boot. The Ogres seemed to go pretty quickly from being perceived as cheesily-overpowered to hopeless.

(My flippant response is to say, "Brother, they already make the list you want, it's called Mortal Chaos-Khorne." )

I have encountered some players, ignorant ones, who see me using tactics such as "march blocking", "flank attacks" and "effective use of terrain" and wonder why I don't just charge up the middle, considering how big and mean the Ogres are.

But seriously, have you also noticed a drop in enthusiasm for the Ogre Kingdoms?

I'm sure all of us here appreciate the subtlety of maneuvering tactics and force-application necessary to be successful with the Ogres, but what about others you encounter who once seemed enthusiastic but no longer do?

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. I've started OK, and have intention of stopping, but a fellow player bought the Battalion and played a few games. Now he's buying the Wood Elf Battalion. Highly disapointing.
    Last edited by Revlid; July 26th, 2005 at 20:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

If I may ask, why do you intend to quit the Ogres? Do you know why your friend is quitting?

(Not that I can blame him for buying the Wood Elves or anything. Having seen those figures up close, I can say with all certainty that they are, without a doubt, the nicest line-up that GW produces.)

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

I don't know a single person who bought the Ogre Kingdoms army in my area. Almost everyone I know, however, dropped a few bucks to put them in their army as Dogs of War. My friend uses them quite effectively in his VC army.

I've read their army list and I think that they are a great looking army and they are quite playable too. It just takes a little bit more tactical sense to play them than you think at first.

I'm not lecturing to you, cause I can tell that you already know this. But, I can see the definite appeal of an army with HUGE models that look invincible on paper. However, when it doesn't turn out quite that way, people start looking for the next best thing that will win every game for them.

Tell your friends if they really want a cheesy army to play, then go buy some Chaos Dwarves. They are still following last editions rules and have special rules that are totally out of place amidst all of the new armies, which make them heinously powerful.

Um...that's a good question. Where am i??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont play fantasy but the one thing I have done is but the OK codex. I went insane wanting them, and soon enough I will use them. How ever I also have recently thought about the vampire counts, purly from looking through the mordheim rule book and seeing the maximum profile a vampire can get

strength = higher than an ogre tyrant

I mean, corrrrrrrrrrr.

But while I like the vampires, i already have made up a lot of fluff for my ogres, so I will probably have an ogre army AND a vampire army with dogs of war.

But this is when I start to collect fantasy

edit: don't you think the ogres are a bit under powered. They have the same strength as a dwarf for gods sake. Dwarfs may be tough, but not nearly as tough as an ogre.

They should be S/T 5 with bruisers and tyrants S/T 6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Chaos Dwarfs, eh? (Bad idea. )

It's not that the Ogres are unplayable, far from it, of course. I think what threw people off was exactly how the Ogres are most effectively played. Instead of relying on toughness to weather any kind of storm and just charging dead-ahead into an enemy, the Ogres needed feints and deception to get into charge range.

I would like to give these people the benefit of the doubt and say that they quit not because the army wasn't completly uber but because the army wasn't compatible with their playing style. (Luckily for me, it fit perfectly with mine: low on models, fast, short-ranged, hitting very hard.)

Obsidian, it's funny that you mention that Ogres' strength and toughness values should be five. I actually played a few test-games with those very same stats and the end result was pretty much exactly the same: the Ogres were still dramatically outnumbered, were still shot to pieces before they could arrive at the enemy, and when they arrived at the enemy, they annihilated them. My sense is that the Ogres were given the stats that they currently have out of convenience, otherwise the basic Ogre Bull would have to cost even more. To compensate for this discrepancy, I think Ogres were given the "Ogre Club" and "Bull Charge" rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think another big reason for abandoning OK is the fact that they arent diversified. I love using them, but in the face of some "so fricking cool" races out there with tons of different things u can do.
    He shall wander the world forever, in the quest to find one who can match his skill when there is no one to match his skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually tyrants should not be s/t 6. That is just silly and imbalanced, nor does it make senese. it is not stronger than a giant itself. Even if the dwarf lord has the same s/t as the tyrant, the tyrant moves twice as fast and has 2 more wounds! That makes sense. An ogre tyrant shouldn't be able to beat down all other characters. He may be tougher but he lacks no where near the skill potential of other races (elves, vamps, chaos, etc) at least fluff wise.

And yes I was upset and got bored with the ogres too and I have switched (a few times :cool: )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Well alot of OK players refuse to use gnoblar fighters and trappers wich m ake up for a good part of the army, they are expandable and usually good march blocks in all respects.

Not fielding them is asking for an ass whopping IMO, without meat shields orges become more charge sensitive than an other army in the game.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having trouble winning battles but im not gonna make them in to a Dogs of War army i think they are a pretty cool army and im not gonna stop playin them just cause im not winning,
    BOOM, HUR HUR HUR,
    3000+ point OGRE KINGDOM ARMY
    Join the THE ANZAC CLAN....... or suffer

I am the Empire, 63% Honorable, 49% Bloodthirsty, 44% Magic-minded, and 62% tactically-oriented!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast