TrollGuts, Bonecruncher, Gut Magic ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

TrollGuts, Bonecruncher, Gut Magic ?

Hey there fellow Tyrants and Bruisers, I think we need a decent thread on our under rated Gut Magic, wich can unleash a good deal of the Great Maw's power.

Many players don't bother with a Butcher untill 2000 for magical defense, or simply kit out thier caracters with gnoblar thiefstones to get around is very high base cost of 130 pts.

But during the last few games, I've realised that in good dosage, the gut magic can be quite effective against even armies with casters or mages in thier ranks. A single butcher can be very effective, and here's why:

all is gut spells will cast on a 3+, along with 2 tooth gnoblars, this means he can cast a stead 3 spells a turn easy, forcing your opponent to dispell with 2 dice (safest way to dispell gut magic) and the average army gets in between 4-6, forcing him to let spells through, and every sinlge gut magic spell is very potent and useful.

the Gurt's Sickel can turn your butcher into a casting power house, attempting to cast up to 5 spells a turn!

After a Gut Spell is cast, it gets a bound power level of 7, and the butcher is still free to cast more spells, this resulted in me having all 3 remain in spell spells active at the end of the game.

I'll never miscast on a single D6.

Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My empire army always slaughters ogre armies that don't have magic. Gut magic can be quite powerfull and is great for adding a little extra punch to heavily outnumbered ogre units. Butchers shouldn't be underestimated, even if all they does is bring scrolls or a hellheart.
    What would you do if a Carnifex "meow'ed" at you.

Some pictures of my models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my gaming shop there is only one person who plays ogres, and he always brings a butcher, even in 500 points I think. Let me tell you, the way he rolls 3+ he should do a SM army. Normally he casts with 1 dice per spell, but getting every spell off, mine is the only army here that ever manages to outmagic him (even the empire player has problems). With +1 toughtness and stubborn on his units first, followed by regeneration, hes a tough cookie to crack. Gut magic is very worth it and a shame to you that disagree. (Also, the only reason I stand a chance is because I'm a demonic legion of Tzch).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Remember units can only be affected by 1 gut amgic spell at a time, they cannot ''stack'' you can use your own power dice to dispell these remain in play spells during your turn, although they will have bound power level 7, this is a goood way to plan ahead for combat.

As you said casting of as alot of 3+ spells also puts your opponent in a dilema, as to shoudl he waste a dispell scroll on a 3+ spell doesn't make it worth while really ^_^
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Another reason to take a Butcher is so that you can get your hands on all those wonderful Arcane Items.

Hellheart: This scary item is enough to shut down your opponent's magic phase. Tzeentch-lovers, Lizardmen, Night Gobbos, and more all have reason to fear it and will probably avoid casting spells that turn, instead opting to wait until it's effects have worn off (that Gut Magic miscast table is nasty ).

Grut's Sickle: Well, okay, I don't find this one to be particularly useful. It can only be used once per magic phase and an extra die isn't anything special since you need only one or two to cast the spells in the first place. Plus, for 35 points it seems overpriced. Wolf_Pack, can you point out the upsides?

Halfling Cookbook: A wonderful item that really helps keep your Butcher in his prime. It goes a long way in negating or staving off the nasty effects of Gut Magic. My favorite Arcane Item from the Ogre list.

Bangstick: Another great item that provides your Butcher with a free magic missle. I wouldn't normally cast Bonecruncher if my Butcher had a Bangstick. Plus, you can fire through Gnoblars .

EDIT: Got this ass-backwards.

Skullmantle: Usually an overlooked item but, if your Butcher is accompanying a small unit of Bulls, an extra -1 Leadership is yet another kick in the pants after a bloody melee. I'd always give it to a Slaughtermaster.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; August 14th, 2005 at 23:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

I don't like the mantle anymore for 1 reason: all my ogre units are 8 strong, if I am to win combat I will auto break you, so why have the -1 Leadership.

the Sickle basically givs you 1 more spell to flood your opponent's dispell fice and dispell scroll, and you don't need to sacrafice a wound if you don't want to either.

The cook book is alright, but so far my opponent's don't bother dispell the blood gruel when cast, so 25 pts to avoid it is ok I guess.

The bang stick is another great weapon to flood the magic phase, and a good alternative to the sickle if you don't like loosing wounds.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    I don't like the mantle anymore for 1 reason: all my ogre units are 8 strong, if I am to win combat I will auto break you, so why have the -1 Leadership.
    Good point (I use a ten-strong unit of Bulls myself), but it does apply to smaller units.

the Sickle basically givs you 1 more spell to flood your opponent's dispell fice and dispell scroll, and you don't need to sacrafice a wound if you don't want to either.
    How so? It only grants you an extra casting die that can be added to a spell you've already rolled for. The only use I can see is to avoid a miscast but those usually aren't a problem with Gut Magic.

EDIT: *Zanzibar smacks himself* I see what you mean now. Roll one die for a spell and, if it doesn't make the 3+, use the Sickle to get a second. I kept missing the fact that you use this after you roll your power dice. It also saves you power dice as you can attempt every spell with one die and use this item to fix any that fail. That makes it more useful and worth its points.

The cook book is alright, but so far my opponent's don't bother dispell the blood gruel when cast, so 25 pts to avoid it is ok I guess.
    Toothcracker and Trollguts are nasty for the casting Butcher so avoiding their effects is best, I think. The best use for this item, as I see it, is that it saves you some power dice (you don't have to cast Bloodgruel so often).

The bang stick is another great weapon to flood the magic phase, and a good alternative to the sickle if you don't like loosing wounds.
    True enough, and thanks for the rep. .
    Last edited by Zanzibar; August 15th, 2005 at 06:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grut's Sickle suddenly got worse for me. I thought you could just take a wound off for an extra power which could be used for a new spell, rather than adding it to an existing one like a Slann.
    Boo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gruts sickle is still an awesome weapon :cool: . It can change games and ill never take a butcher without having one in his hand.

*Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Not to that point but it sure is hnady ina 2 butcher army, although a single butcher is more effective IMO.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast