Hobgoblins - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobgoblins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

Hobgoblins

nah not the Spiderman villain but the Mongul Horde wannabes... the umm other Mongul Horde wannabes.

was wondering if there's any reason why the Ogre book doesn't mention them? would've though they'd have made powerful allies- afterall their goals are similar but they've got speed instead of power.

GW oversight? or am i missing something... again!

I still hate Twiglets!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The hobgoblins are the ''property'' of the Chaos Dwarfs, and the other remaining are beleived to have become gnoblars, as the lack of proper nutriments ( slaves don't get dental if I recall ^_^ ) made them weaker in strength, but still endurant.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

there's an independent Hobgoblin Empire on the Steppes (mast the mountains of Mourn) that's where the Dogs of War regiment/special character come from.

Gnoblars indeed... i like Hobgoblins
    I still hate Twiglets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Nah, Gnoblars are funny. Hobgoblins are just fat Goblins in hoods. There really are too many greenskin variations, which I suppose you could pin on Gnoblars (being the latest), but I never much liked Hobgoblins. Seemed too much like Goblins. The only good thing about them is Sneaky Gitz (is that what you're after for your Ogres ?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

nobody likes Gnoblars though

anyway i'm looking more at the Hobgoblin Regiment of Renown- Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz.

they're from a Hobgoblin empire and it seemed fluffy/tactically viable to have Hobgoblin cavalry.
    I still hate Twiglets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x2)

But they're just uglier Goblins! Oglah Khan and boyz are cool, I'll grant you that, but there isn't enough difference between them and Goblins! That really chaps my arse. I hate Hobgoblins :mad: . Grr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

and they hate you too dear :p

they're actually quite a bit better than Goblins, it's only down to the fact they're still using the terrible Ravening Hordes rules (i.e. Chaos Dwarf Slaves) that the rules don't reflect the fluff.

Ghazak Khan's one of the better generals in my humble oppinon.

oh and on a related note- should we get better access to Golfang's Ogres they are afterall our kin?
    I still hate Twiglets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Eh, actually, there is a world of difference between a Common Goblin and a Hobgobbo.

A Goblin with Shield costs X points and is WS2
    A Hobbo with naught but a Hand Weapon costs X points also, but is WS3 and can buy a Shield for +1pt.

In short, Hobbos are little, inexpensive greenies that actually hit something.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x2)

True enough, though I wasn't speaking from a rules perspective. Just where do Hobgoblins fit in the greenskin hierarchy?

Snotlings
    Gnoblars
    Goblins
    Hobgoblins (yeah?)
    Orcs
    Black Orcs

But what the hell are they? The Black Orcs of Goblins? Are Gnoblars the Black Orcs of Snotlings or just weedy Goblins? Maybe I'm just lacking some info but this whole greenskin thing seems unclear to me. Are they each a seperate race? In the Orc and Goblin army book it states that greenskins keep growing throughout their lives as long as they regularly achieve success, and only stop growing when a bigger, badder greeny beats them down. Thus, smallish Orcs could be mistaken for large Goblins and vise versa. So are Hobgoblins simply more successful Goblins? The Gnoblar thing makes sense (not much prestige to be had in an Ogre camp if you're ten times smaller than your masters), but I still don't get Hobgoblins. Hmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I`d say they are different races within a specie. Inn a well-functioning community, you can clearly see their different roles: Snotlings are (I don`t know the english word for it. "Nedbrytere" in norwegian) the ones that breaks down dead material and garbage. Gnoblars are the serving caste (or slaves) set to do manual labour which doesn`t require too much insight or competence. Goblins are smarter and more cunning; They`d be in administration and be craftsmen etc. Hobgoblins shuld probably be the ruling caste (at they have proved by building the only real greenskin-empire, with all thet would demand) and the Orks are Warriors, sort of like warrior-ants, too stupid to lead and too bloodthirsty to build something ment to last.

The only reference to any old (functioning) greenskin society we`ve got is the rather vague mentioning of a "Once and future git".

On a sidenote. I really like the Hobgoblins and think the unit Ogres misses the most is some kind of fast-cav, although I think Gnoblar wolfriders would be better than introducing another greenskin race into our army.
    What's the strength of tincan brets?
    Charging lance and extra ranks
    Charge their flanks with some Dark Riders,
    Give the silly knights some spanks!

Words from the Russian poet Svart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast