new to ogres, and fantasy! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to ogres, and fantasy!

I'm selling my tau army in favor of starting the game of fantasy, which I've heard so much about! The ogres look great for me as they are a small elite force. I think their magic looks good if I can learn to use it right so what I'm looking at starting with is the battalion box and converting 1 bull to be my bruiser and then buying a butcher (hes the magic guy right?) and a gorger for my 1000 point army. Now not knowing much about fantasy this army might suck hardcore, but thats why I need your guys help! Does this sound like an ok starting army or what? Also, are gnoblars worth it? I notice that my ogres aren't going to have numbers so they are probably just cannon fodder anyway at 2pts a piece. For core choices is it wise to load up on the elite ironguts, or to go for numbers with the bulls? I guess I've asked enough questions for now and any help will be appreciated Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I would suggest first purchasing the army book and the fantasy rulebook. If you already have these then all the better, although if you don't one of your friends may let you borrow theirs for a read.

Next try a couple of practise games before you attempt to buy an army, as you may find that this army isn't for you. Go along to a practice game at games workshop and try out if someone will let you.

With that all done, post a sample army list in the army list section then we will critique it for you, and attempt to make it better.

I hope this helps.
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Never look down on gnoblars (unless you are an ogre!) they are one of the keys to winning with the Ogre Kingdoms, read the thread on them for the pros.

I like to keep a ratio of 2 units of bulls for a unit of ironguts, they are cheaper and do a relatively equal job with the ogre club, and end up much cheaper. I like to use naked ogres for the -1 armour save, but the ironfist can be quite useful as well.

Never pechase unit champions. 20 pts for a single attack isn't worth that's 10 gnoblars to me!

Use trappers, a skirmishing scouting unit will help you get to warmachines really fast, and screen your ogres from missile units.

Don't go too gready on caracters. I use 2 at 2000, simply because they get to be a point sink really fast, with your naked tyrant at 200 pts and that butcher at 130 pts, your points build up very fast if you tool them properly.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea Wolf_Pack is right! Never load too much up on characters and gnoblars are an excellent unit to take. If i had The option i would take at least 3 units to boost the size of my army and to gain rank bonuses.
    I would also take a scraplauncher in my army but some people dont agree. Its all up to what you want in YOUR army. Thats the key. its your army and not someone elses. Use what you want to use.
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Gingerninja is right. You'll want to play a few games with a proxy army, or the game-store army, to get a feel for the Ogres.
    They can be quite frustrating to play before you learn to accept and play around their shortcomings, and this throws many people for a loop.

Generally speaking, an Ogre army can be summed up this way: Very fast, hit like a Mack Truck, can't take a punch and are quick to run away.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I've only played against ogres with my VC, not my WEs. I always took out gnoblars early as they represent strong Combat Resolution. THey panic easily with a very low leadership, and with them out the way, the battle was much simplified.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    I've only played against ogres with my VC, not my WEs. I always took out gnoblars early as they represent strong Combat Resolution. THey panic easily with a very low leadership, and with them out the way, the battle was much simplified.
    Shame on you, pickin' on the little greenies like that. What did they ever do to you ^_^ ?

Welcome, Koggol! Like everyone's already said, Gnoblars are dead important so make sure you get some (Fighters and Trappers). Also, try converting your own Butcher from a plastic Bull (unless you really like the Butcher model). Saves you some money (I did it). Also, pay attention to what Quickasawink said about the big louts.

Other than that, start eating your foes!

+ Reply to Thread