Successful or not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Successful or not?

Hello folks!

Well, bascially I was wondering if anyone has been having any success with ogres recently. When they first came out a lot of people were saying they were very difficult to play with (unlike most new armies...). I also got the Ogre Kingdoms army book but haven't played with them much (the few games I played didn't go all that well, and I just found that they didn't fit my playing style...). So yeah....Anyone come up with any successful lists? Anyone currently winning most of their battles? Anyone think they have mastered the art of the Ogre? I would like to know....:shifty:

....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive had some success, wouldnt go close to as far as mastered the art of ogre, but i probably have over 60% win percentage with them, and most of my losses with them are at the 500 pnts level. I havnt played anything either than 1000, 750, and 500, but it seems that they are even more successful at higher point levels.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

There is one guy who plays ogres at my gaming club. He also plays TK and is very successful with them. But wheneer he uses ogres he gets battered.

I'm still not sure about them myself...

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use them and I enjoy playing them, they are a very hard army to use effectively, your tactics must be absolutely spot on to win, which is why I like them, you cant just move up, get in to CC and expect to win, ogres will usually lose combat and run, and usually get run down especially against shooty armies they must be supported

but all in all I think they are a great army. though they take a hell of a lot of play to sort out how to use them effectively.
    BOOM, HUR HUR HUR,
    3000+ point OGRE KINGDOM ARMY
    Join the THE ANZAC CLAN....... or suffer

I am the Empire, 63% Honorable, 49% Bloodthirsty, 44% Magic-minded, and 62% tactically-oriented!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I was thinking, do they have enough advantages to counter their disadvantages? Compare them to brets for a sec (they both need charges to win, although both are different admittedly, and some people consider brets broken but oh well....). Brets can handle shooting with great armour saves and leadership.....Ogres cannot, with crap leadership (ogres shouldn't be running!) and generally crap or no armour. Brets can have a reasonable magic defense, whereas ogres have a pretty poor one, especially at higher points levels. Brets can simply charge the enemy and probably break them, whereas ogres simply cannot. Sure they get impact hits, but a smart player will move their unit forwards if they see they are in charge range so that they are within 6" of the ogre unit, so no impact hits for them. To top it all off, Brets get lance formation (lots of attacks), ward saves (assuming they prey) and generally more knights than ogres get...well....ogres!
    I just did that comparison to point out what I think ogre weakness are, I wouldn't compare them otherwise as they work differently, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison, but I think you should see my point from it.
    So, how do you counter these ogre weaknesses? (namely, bad saves, bad leadership, impact hits that don't always work, poor defense against shooting, poor defense against magic at higher point games etc.).
    (Don't worry, i haven't forgotten fear! It is a large advantage!).

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I definitely agree that ogres don't have enough advantages to make up for their shortcomings.

Put an ogre player up against someone who has been playing their army for years and the ogres don't stand a chance.

A lack of static combat res and no armour/ld are their main disadvantages.

If you compare most armies to the brets then the brets will usually come out on top (with the exception of the skaven - i mean come on, how broken do you wanna make an army!?) as i am one of those people who think that brets are one of the best armies in the game.

Sorry to any ogre players reading this:cry:

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would agree that they are hard to play, but one of the things that has really helped out for me, is using lots of gnoblers, both the scouting type, and the non-scouting type. i would say that the most sucessful ogre lists for me have been those with pretty much maxed-out gnoblers i.e. taking alot of bull units and normal gnoblers, and then taking a hunter for some extra trappers. even though i sacrifice the extra speed of the bulls from moving them behind the gnoblers, i have found it to be more effective than other ogre tactics, becasue i often have the same number of troops as my enemy, sometimes even outnumbering them. then the ogre units can be used as heavy hitters.

edit:
    also, people know that orcs and goblins lists work well, and gnoblers are pretty much goblins with shooting. in my opinion, ogres have more options than orcs and goblins, and are therefore better with this strat (ignoring night gobbos, they're different). Anyways, that is why i dont agree with those who say that ogres cant be sucessful
    Last edited by Salamander6; May 18th, 2006 at 23:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander6
    i would agree that they are hard to play, but one of the things that has really helped out for me, is using lots of gnoblers, both the scouting type, and the non-scouting type. i would say that the most sucessful ogre lists for me have been those with pretty much maxed-out gnoblers i.e. taking alot of bull units and normal gnoblers, and then taking a hunter for some extra trappers. even though i sacrifice the extra speed of the bulls from moving them behind the gnoblers, i have found it to be more effective than other ogre tactics, becasue i often have the same number of troops as my enemy, sometimes even outnumbering them. then the ogre units can be used as heavy hitters.
    That sounds like a really good idea :yes: I suppose it wouldn't occur to a lot of people to use the ogres only as hard hitters and not the core of the army because they are the Ogre Kingdoms, so you would expect the majority of them to be Ogres....Well, if it works for you then it must be alright! Anyone else come up with any tactics that help them out with ogres and their weaknesses?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found the brace of handguns and the cathayan longswords are very nice. I have been putting a brace on my tyrant and CL on my bruiser, and also setting up maneaters with alternating CL and braces.

Salamander6 makes a great point about using the gnoblars as screens for the ogres. It works for lizardmen, so why not the big guys? The down side is, as he mentioned, that the gnoblars move slower, but your higher point ogres do live to make it into combat at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishra
    Salamander6 makes a great point about using the gnoblars as screens for the ogres. It works for lizardmen, so why not the big guys? The down side is, as he mentioned, that the gnoblars move slower, but your higher point ogres do live to make it into combat at least.
    its kinda funny because it is sorta the opposite movement problem that the lizzies have, because for the lizzies, the big guys are slower than the screen, but with the ogres, the big guys are faster than the screen. This works out great for the ogres, because they can sometimes charge around the screen because of their nice speed. anyways, and since you guys seem interested, i will probably post some lists soon in the army list section that utilize this strategy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast