Best Core Unit for Ogres?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is in your opinion the best core choice for Ogres

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bulls

31 43.06%
  • Ironguts

26 36.11%
  • Gnoblar Fighters

9 12.50%
  • Gnoblar Trappers

6 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Core Unit for Ogres?!

Hey all, just thought after seeing DavidVC04's Vampire Count poll that deciding what the best Ogre core choice is would be toughie. I know that it isn't really fair to compare them, because they all serve different rolls, but which do you think fits their roll best? (Or which is just generally your favourite :w00t: ).

....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have seen of my friend's army (which is just a couple games) I can try and give a little of my perspective being a VC player. His bulls never seem strong enough, and he never really gets the charge off, and just flees from my units. Gnoblar trappers haven't done anything to me before except die. Gnoblars can be annoying and are good for holding up a unit as you get flanks or rears, but he never seems to be able to do that. I assume this is just his ability, because with 6 movement ogres should be able to get the flanks. Ironguts are the biggest and scariest of your core, and make a great unit for the tyrant to go in. That is one heavy hitting unit, he normally runs 5 guts and a tyrant, and I stay away from it. After looking through this, I understand I may not know all there is to know about ogres, but its a tossup between ironguts and gnoblars for me, and really who wants to pick a gnoblar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like all of the choices in the core section of the OK's, but I personally think the options available to the bulls makes them the best choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

I voted gnoblar fighter! cause they're cool.

Actually I voted for them because the effect they have on Ogre armies. They themselves are not very tough, but they make it a lot easier for the big tough Ogres to do their work of destruction. They are the grease that oils the Ogre warmachine. Because of the amount they improve the survivability and effectiveness of the other ogre units, and their own cheap cost I give them the best core unit award.
    Honorable mention to bulls though, they are the backbone of the ogre army.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you JORMAGI, Gnoblars are pretty cool! I am glad someone finally voted for Gnoblars! I was surprised to see that they had not been voted for yet.....No one voting for Gnoblar Trappers yet???
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Gnoblar trappers aren't a true core choice, wich makes it hard to select them as the best value.

I find naked bulls to be very effective with the clubs, and if you stick a tyrant in there, they should cause alot of damage.

Putting a lord with ironguts is just too much IMO, as Master Jabu said, you can choose to avoid them for the greater part of the game.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to say that the tried and true ogre ironguts are the best. For only 13 more points, you get S6 with great weapons, LD 8 for staying power, as well as heavy armor. That is definatly a steal over a regular ogre bull who, equipped with LA and an ironfist, is 45 points, so you may as well pay an extra 3 points for more LD and great weapons. Although, they may be a little pricey for the old bait-an'-flank

-VAPORgun
    Choose the best answer to fit in the blank:
    _____ney is the root of all evil!

1.Mo
    2.An Attor
    3.Dick Che
    4.Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironguts... there is just no comparision. As Ogres we realy on killing things for CR and no unit in our army kills things better then these guys. Point for point they are one of the most efficient models in our army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

While i love the ironguts and the fighters i have to say trappers all the way.

For 8 points a pop the ammount of devestation theese scouts and skirmishers can wreck upon warmachine crew and lone mages is staggering. Add that they can also marchblock a goodly chuck of the enemy battle line for 48 points and theirs no contest whats so ever.

Second would be ironguts. Their ogre bulls that are actually combat competent =P
    Looking for help with your Ogre kingdoms. Need help against them? have burning questions about life or why Dave's Avatar is so creepy. Feel free to stop by and ask OverTyrant Loki

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1104558

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Ironguts are great, but their armor still isn't that great. I think I'd rather have expendable bulls. Granted, I haven't played more than 10 games (less than that actually) with my ogres and don't have experience on my side.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast