painting problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painting problems

I was just wondering what are some cheap but good paints to use when painting ogres? I picked up a few acrylic ones but im kind of sketched out to use them cause they look kinda thick and im not sure what colors im going to use for the skin tone yet. Also is there anyway to "unglue" a model or remove the paint from it without causing any serious damage?

-thx

BOOM! Hur hur hur...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look in the big catalogue they give you a nice little tutorial on ogre skin color. Just buy the paints and four mixing pots, and follow the directions. Gives a great darkish teal color tone. If you talking about which acrylic paints? I can't help you there. I only use the GW ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Loki
    I insert Harlie tidbits into every post. Phear the sage advice of the killer clowns from outer space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By catalogue do you mean codex? Im talking about the 59ml acrylic paints "folkart" or somethin I think their called. I would love to pick up some GW ones but theirs no GW in my area and i dont want to have to order them and wait another week or so for them to come in.
    BOOM! Hur hur hur...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

You really should be using acrylic model paints, GW/Citadel are more than adiquate although some of the best painters prefer Vallejo, even Tamahoya (SP?) are OK although you will struggle to get colours to match.

Pretty much all acrylics need watering down (are too thick in the pot) this should be done by adding water on a pallet, generally as a rough guide 2 parts paint to one parts water. the purists say you should use distilled water, but the rest of us use tap water.

Other things that may be added to the mix:

Acrylic medium - replacement for water, expensive way to paint, although arguably smoother
    Washing up liquid - in small ammounts reduces suface tension, giving better coverage and a cleaner finish (ok the last bit was a joke)

Flow enhancer - a small amout again gives better coverage

Extenders/retarders -used to change the time it takes the paint to dry
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would I be able to find Vallejo or Tamahoya paint? (there isnt to many craft stores around where i live :/) and what exactly is acrylic medium?
    BOOM! Hur hur hur...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I use vallejo game color and really like it. I buy it at my local gaming store, but I'm sure you can find it online. (Just Googled it...no problem, it's all over).

Can't help you with acryllic medium.

By catalog, he probably meant the comprehensive catalog GW puts out for dealers. GW learned that fans like their catalogs, too, so they include lots of painting tips and master-painted models.

The ogre section must have a mix listed in it. If so, it's probably the same one that appeared in White Dwarf around the time ogres were released. I used it on my maneaters and have been really happy.

I add water to all the paints I use...GW's and Vallejo's, though Vallejo paints need less of it. If you apply it too thick, all those nice ogre bits won't show up.

If you have general questions about painting, check out the painting forum. There's lots of good info there, and lots of good painters around.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

While I can understand your want to start painting as soon as you can it's worth getting the right equipment for the job- jumping in with poor quality or inappropriate paints will only end with a paint job that isn't going to match up to your efforts. I'd seriously recommend ordering GW or Vallejo paints and at least a white (maybe black if you want seedy, grimy looking ogres) undercoat primer.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used the cheaper acrylics (Folkart and a few others) and i didn't like them. They were far too thick, had to water them all down. I'm straight citadel paint now (and yes it's expensive) but i manage. My ogres i did with a Dark flesh base coast (over black primer), Terracotta overcoat & a light layer of Tanned Flesh, love the way they turned out, and many of them have varying levels of pigment (some are lighter than others depending on my final layer). I just didn't want ogres that had the weird bluish/grey skin pigment - i wanted something a bit more natural.

hope it helps a bit.

+ Reply to Thread