1000pts. subspeicies army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

1000pts. subspeicies army

This is my first ever army list. It will be implemented against wood elfs, dwarfs, and high elfs. Since me and my frieands are new to the game and do not understand the concept of magic and spellcasting, I will not be using magic.

Lords & Heroes

Night Goblin Warboss 106
    Great axe
    Martogs Best Basha'
    Warboss Umms' Best Boss 'At

Night Goblin Warboss 94
    Dual hand weapons
    Sword of Battle*
    Sword of Might*
    Light armor

Core

20 Night Goblins 100
    Spears
    Full Command

20 Night Goblins 100
    Same as above

20 Night Goblins 100
    Same as above

20 Night Goblins 80
    Shortbows
    Full Command

20 Night Goblins 80
    Same as above

5 Forest Goblin Spider 95 **
    Hand weapons
    Full Command

Special

10 Black Orcs 168
    Choppas
    Full Command

Rare

Troll

River Troll

Total: 1,003

Strategy: I intend to send one warboss, troll, the Black Orcs and 3 Nigth Goblin Units(one Shortbow and two spear) to deal with the enemies main force, and send the remaining Warboss, Troll, and Night Goblins to split off of the main Warpath halfway and swerve towards any artillery the enemies may have. In the off chance that they do not have artillery, I will do the same, but have them flank as they can. But what of the Spider Riders you ask? They will be off on the opposite side of the artillery-killer group and swerve off wildly and flank the main force with hit and run tactics (if there is no artillery) In the case that there is artillery, I will send them with the artillery killers, but have them split off (yes, again) and have them go full-speed towards the flank of the artillery, and then have the restattack the newly formed flank right in front of them (its hard to explain without paper). In reality, the Spider Riders are the most important unit (I am REALLY counting on that mounted armor save modifier).

Note: All Night Goblin Spearmen have sheilds

*Taken from the common magic items list

**Just a quick question, Are the Spider Riders in the Skull Pass set riding giant spiders or giantic spiders?

Any Comments, Suggestions, Strategies are accepted. Please use Constructive criticism.

Sorry for being so formal :P

Last edited by Hemogoblin; December 15th, 2007 at 16:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think that I can offer a little advice for you, but first off welcome to Librarium Online!

I guess I should start with the technical issues with your list. First and foremost you are using lord choices in a 1000 pnt army and that is definitely illegal. You can only use hero level choices below 2000 pnts and you have to wait until 3000 pnts before you can use two Lord choices, (see page 47 of your army book). On the topic of your bosses you are taking multiple weapons, and while this isn't illegal you should remember that you can only use one weapon at a time and giving them multiples is often a waste of points. For example dual hand weapons, sword of might and sword of battle is just a little excessive and you could spend the points on getting an enchanted shield to increase the gobbo's survivability. Your other issues lie in your trolls. As a rule on this forum you shouldn't post the cost of single models due to copyright laws, so you might want to edit those out. You forgot to pay the points cost for upgrading your troll to a river troll, and you are taking two rare choices in a thousand points which is illegal, (see page 47 again). You can quickly fix that by joining the trolls together into one unit or replacing them with a pump wagon or doom diver.

Now to offer some advice on your list construction. There are two glaring issues with your list that I would change: 1) unit sizes, and 2) lack of fanatics. Goblins generally rely on their numbers to simply overwhelm their opponents in combat, either in getting that precious outnumber resolution point or to simply outlast a stronger opponent. With that in mind I would say drop one unit of 20 spears and build the other two up to 30. This also applies to black orcs as they will likely be the target of a lot of ranged weapons so will need numbers to ensure that they will still be able to cause damage once they finally reach the fight. As for fanatics, they can be some of the best assets a night goblin general has and will likely be pivotal in thinning your opponents down before you hit them, so consider at least one per unit or more. Other than those two it basically runs down to taste. Personally I don't believe that getting spears for night goblins is a sound investment as you will only be getting a few measly str. 3 attacks for a lot of points in the long run, but if you are running an all night goblin force you might need everything you can get. The same goes for champions on night goblin mobs, you pay a ridiculous number of points for an extra weak attack and the ability to defend against nasty challenges, so I almost never take them. I am also not a fan of goblin shooting due to their short range and I can only really see a use for them as surprise fanatic hiders, so I would recommend that you drop them in favor of a stone thrower (this will work wonders against dwarves since it gets rid of their armor save) or some bolt throwers if you aren't very comfortable with guess ranges. You can also use the points saved to get five more spider riders for another unit to help out with flanking/war machine hunting. Chariots are also something to consider as they offer great hitting power that your army currently lacks and will be absolutely critical in getting rid of those elite high elf units due to impact hits going before the always strike first rule they now have.

To answer your question about the spiders in battle for skull pass they are mounted on giant spiders, not gigantic. While on the topic I would heavily recommend that you do not in any way rely on their armor to pull then through. Even with the mounted bonus they only ever have a 5+ save and on toughness 3 they will basically die if a stiff breeze hits them. Your best bet at keeping these gits alive is to keep them in cover and out of your opponents line of sight until the last possible moment.

Finally I would like to recommend figuring out magic as it can be a lot of fun and a great strength for greenskins, if you have any particular questions on it I would be happy to try and answer them for you to help you along.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

Thanks, I had no idea (new to the game)

Though i didnt see in the book where the added points were for the river troll. Ill take out the warbosses and substitute a bigboss, then do what you said and get a couple spear chukkas and fanatics.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread