Librarium Online Forums banner

2000 Point Night Goblin Competition Army

4K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  mattapplegate 
#1 · (Edited)
Characters:

Skarsnik and Gobbla

Hisspit Funderfart (Night Goblin Big Boss)
Shield
The Horn of Urgok

Snaggletoof Shroomsnorta (Night Goblin Shaman)
Level 2 Wizard
2 Magic Mushrooms

Morbad Da Butcha (Orc Big Boss)
Light Armour
Extra Choppa
Martog’s Best Basha
Battle Standard Bearer

Core Units:

36 Night Goblins (Skarsnik goes here)
Spear
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
1 Fanatic
Nets

28 Night Goblins (Hisspit and Snaggletoof go here)
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
2 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
Short Bow
Musician
1 Fanatic

20 Night Goblins
Short Bow
Musician
1 Fanatic

19 Orc Boyz (Morbad goes here)
Additional Choppa
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss

10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss

Special Units:

10 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers

5 Night Goblin Squig Herds

20 Black Orcs
Musician
Standard Bearer
Gork’s Waaagh Banner
Boss

See less See more
#2 ·
I really question the value of The Horn of Urgok. If you read the rules closely it's not that handy. Apart from that seems pretty good. Too many orcs for my liking- maybe drop them for more gobbos, war machines and snotling pump wagons.

#3 · (Edited)
I really question the value of The Horn of Urgok. If you read the rules closely it's not that handy. Apart from that seems pretty good.
I thought the Horn of Urgok would be excellent considering that Skarsnik's LD is only 8 and Night Goblins are renowned for cowardice. I can see that it is only applicable in my turn, but I thought the +1 LD and -1 LD to my enemy could make a big difference, particulary in my Close Combat phase?

Too many orcs for my liking- maybe drop them for more gobbos, war machines and snotling pump wagons.
I wanted the Orks in there because I wanted as solid units as possible, and also want to reduce the head count for painting purposes :-/. I am petrified of everything running off of the table!

Also my tactic is to lure the enemy to my units of Gobbos containing my important characters (bar the BSB) (and Fanatics!) and then to pile in the flanks with the Orks and Squigs...

I would love to see some Snotling Pump Wagons in there, and am a little anxious about my lack of War Machines. In the past though I have not seen War Machines to be worth it as they draw attention and give the enemy a reason to out flank me, but I am probably wrong.

#4 ·
My issue with the Horn is that it's used in the magic phase- too late for rallying and charges against fear causing things. The -1 to enemy leadership is handy but with gobbos you're either surrounding the enemy and paniking them and nullifying rank bonuses, or you're losing. Try the horn for a few games and see what you think. Isn't there a giant Moon on Stick or something that would be more useful- reroll failed LDR tests or something.

#5 · (Edited)
My issue with the Horn is that it's used in the magic phase- too late for rallying and charges against fear causing things. The -1 to enemy leadership is handy but with gobbos you're either surrounding the enemy and paniking them and nullifying rank bonuses, or you're losing. Try the horn for a few games and see what you think. Isn't there a giant Moon on Stick or something that would be more useful- reroll failed LDR tests or something.
I can see your point. The Horn of Urgok would only help with the LD tests made in the combat phase. I will try it out, I was coming at it from the point of view that if I have a bad round of combat, or need to just stay in combat for one more turn in order for backup to arrive, or if I need my opponent to leg it, the Horn would great!

As an alternative, there is Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner which has the same rules as a Battle Standard. However this is 10 points more than the Horn and I already have a Battle Standard Bearer and aim to keep him near my Gobbos. Note that you can't reroll a dice result more than once if that was the point you were making. Also the Banner is a Magic Standard and would cock up my BSB meaning he wouldn't be able to take any other Magic Items. :-( There is also Bad Moon on a Stick that makes a unit of Gobbos stubborn, this would also cock up my BSB as it is a Magic Standard.

One final advantage of the Horn is that it is a Bound Magic Item and could be used to draw my opponent into wasting dispels! Skarsniks prodder and my Shaman could then wreak havoc!

I'm not entirely convinced it is that bad, and I wouldn't be sure what to do with the spare 40 points?

#6 ·
Give the Night Gobbo boss some sort of magical hitting stick. You can get a good one for 40pts and if he causes more damage then that will have a direct effect on CR. Still... CR won't be where you win the game.

The one magic banner thing is really hard on gobbos...

#7 · (Edited)
Should I get rid of the Black Orcs?

I was thinking about the possibility of changing the Black Orcs for a few other units. Although the Black Orcs are superior, they will attract a lot of attention, and a lot of points are tied up in the unit.

Removing the Black Orcs would get me the following additions to army (additions to units already in the army in red):

The question is, what is best?

Characters:

Night Goblin Big Boss
Light Armour
Shield
Biting Blade
The Horn of Urgok

Night Goblin Shaman
Level 2 Wizard
3 Magic Mushrooms
Mad Cap Mushrooms

Rare Units:
1 Giant

1 Goblin Doom Diver Catapult

#8 ·
I think I agree with you on removing the Black Orcs.....sure,they're DEAD 'ARD, but in a mostly gobbo force they're just a single giant target for every enemy war machine and magic missile on the table. I would drop them to add some war machines. I would grab maybe 4 spear chukkas and a couple of doom divers.

.....but then, I love war machines. :happy:

#9 · (Edited)
Perhaps the question should be - are short bows a waste of time?

In the army list there are two units of 20 Night Goblin archers, totalling 178 points.

I was planning to deploy the units 2x10 to maximise firepower (if it can be called that!) and to enable wheeling and turning to release the fanatics. These units are very much my pawns but I am thinking maybe I could get a queen for the same points cost, metaphorically speaking as 't'wer!

A giant is not far off, and certainly if firepower is what is needed I could get about 5 Bolt Throwers for the same points cost. The archer units do serve a purpose, either to induce a charge and release the Fanatics, or to pile in and overwhelm the enemy, if I get rid of them will the balance of the army (if it exists already) be destroyed?

Someone please enlighten me?

#10 ·
I think in a list like this a few war machines wouldn't hurt. I would keep the black Orcs in the list personally as they can lend some good hitting power in close combat and people will will focus on them and not the Gobos as you move closer.

I think maybe a rock lobba or a doom diver would help. It will give you something that you can take out enemy knights with.

Not to mention the fact that it can thin the numbers of the enemy before you get into close combat hence giving you 4+ to your CR 3 for ranks and 1 for outnumber. That is just my thoughts.

If you don't want war machines you could always take 2 gaints which is often quite fun to do.

#11 ·

Morbad Da Butcha (Orc Big Boss)
Light Armour
Extra Choppa
Martog’s Best Basha
Battle Standard Bearer
Just as an aside, Extra Choppa cannot be used in conjunction with a magic weapon. No reason to buy it.

The real problem with the Horn, is you will never get it to go off. You have two spells and two bound items. That's not putting a strain on anybody's magic defense at 2,000 points. Especially considering that the Little Waaagh! is rather hard to cast so you're not gonna be getting those two spells off reliably anyway.

I also think your army isn't fast enough to go into 2,000 pts with only three dispell dice. You don't have anything that will get in there quick to mess with enemy mages, and Goblins Waaaagh! pathetically. I would at least take a dispell scroll in place of madcap mushrooms and a third magic mushroom.

#12 ·
Just as an aside, Extra Choppa cannot be used in conjunction with a magic weapon. No reason to buy it.
Thanks for pointing that out. ;Y

The real problem with the Horn, is you will never get it to go off. You have two spells and two bound items. That's not putting a strain on anybody's magic defense at 2,000 points. Especially considering that the Little Waaagh! is rather hard to cast so you're not gonna be getting those two spells off reliably anyway.
If I managed to get it to go off, do you think it worth the points? If I don't take the Horn, then the chances of me making my other spells is reduced so I would be backing down on the magic front if I didn't take it. I could possibly take Nibbla's 'itty Ring to compensate. This would also allow me to go after enemy characters. Perhaps I should drop Hissspit (and his thunderous Horn) and replace him with another Shaman?

I also think your army isn't fast enough to go into 2,000 pts with only three dispell dice. You don't have anything that will get in there quick to mess with enemy mages, and Goblins Waaaagh! pathetically. I would at least take a dispell scroll in place of madcap mushrooms and a third magic mushroom.
I do have the Spider Riders and the Squig Hoppers, and I have the Waagh Banner on the Black Orks. What would you recommend? I agree with you point about having no Dispel Scrolls, I need to rethink that one...

Thanks for all the comments (to everyone that is) please keep them coming. There has been some excellent comments so far and given me much to think about. I will think about making some changes...

#13 · (Edited)
If I managed to get it to go off, do you think it worth the points?
Probably, but it's *sooo* expensive, and as soon the line hits the enemy (which is when the horn becomes a benefit!) your shaman's casting options will likely be heavily reduced depending on what spells you rolled, increasing the relative availability of dispell dice. I've only included it in a half dozen or so games, which isn't a whole lot of experience to be poopooing it based on, but I was not impressed with it to the extent that it eats a hero's entire gear allowance and leaves him a floppy wet paper sack.

Try it out a few times and see what you think! Then if it works you can come back and tell us all what a bunch of prejudiced fools we were.

I do have the Spider Riders and the Squig Hoppers, and I have the Waagh Banner on the Black Orks. What would you recommend? I agree with you point about having no Dispel Scrolls, I need to rethink that one...
Mmm, I guess it's just that 10 spiders with a full command automatically looks like a dedicated flanking unit that stays in position to support the battle line when I see it in the list, rather than a unit that performs traditional fast-cav roles =). 6-8 spiders with a musician is a lot more expendable. If the black orks waaaagh too far ahead of the rest of the battle line they'll just get flanked and broken =( (I inflicted that fate on my own blackorcs many times when I started playing OnG.)

My personal preference to add speed to my army is chariots chariots and more chariots. Boar Chariots are dead 'ard and wolf chariots are insanely fast.

But, it's your army, not mine, don't just make a list that looks like a mash up of all of ours =). I provide the feedback as a sense of, what would I perceive as your weaknesses if I saw you across the table, so that you can go into a battle knowing what your opponent will be trying to exploit against you and have a plan!

#14 · (Edited)
Reworked army list

Thanks to everyone for all their comments. I have decided to take as many of the comments on board and have revised the list. You will notice that it is now a true Night Goblin list! No Orks, no Morbad Da Butcha!

I have struggled equipping Hisspit, and have given equipment to him to accept challenges and stand a chance of winning (as much as I can), or to hunt special characters. Potentially 5 attacks with the Killing Blow special rule, with re-rolls, at possibly greater than strength 4. Not great but he is a Gobbo!

I was also debating whether or not another 5 Squig Herds would be better than the 10 Squig Hoppers I eventually went for?

The addition of a second Shaman, Sprowtwart Fungalgroin, and 2 Dispel Scrolls should please some. :).

Though the lack of Warmachines may displease others. :-( Let me know what you think?

Oh, and if you look hard enough, there is no Horn of Urgok!

Finally a couple of surprises at the end. Trying to think of names for them, I even entertained the idea of converting one of them to be female! ;? Let me know any name suggestions for them (as males)?

Characters:

Skarsnik and Gobbla

Hisspit Funderfart (Night Goblin Big Boss)
Light Armour
Battle Standard Bearer
Wollopa's One Hit Wunda

Snagletoof Shroomsnorta (Night Goblin Shaman)
Level 2 Wizard
2 Magic Mushrooms
1 Dispel Scroll

Sprowtwart Fungalgroin (Night Goblin Shaman)
Level 2 Wizard
1 Dispel Scroll
Nibbla’s ‘itty Ring

Core Units:

34 Night Goblins (Skarsnik and Gobbla, and Snagletoof here)
Spear
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
1 Fanatic
Nets

34 Night Goblins (Hisspit and Sprowtwart here)
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
2 Fanatics
Nets

20 Night Goblins
Short Bow
Musician
1 Fanatic

20 Night Goblins
Short Bow
Musician
1 Fanatic

Special Units:

7 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers

7 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers

6 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers

5 Night Goblin Squig Herds

Rare Units:

Rotgut Cowscoffa (Giant)

Ficko Oomeemasha (Giant)

#19 ·
Appealing to all Warbosses for help!

The latest list in this thread will be used against Wood Elves in 2 weeks time and I need some help from my fellow Warbosses. This will be my first game for about 10 years and will be the first of many warming up for the Grand Tournament this year.

I know that my opponent will have 2 Treemen ("dem tree fings"), one of them being a lord. He will have 2 wizards ("dem wimpy fings"), one level 2, one level 1. He will have 3 of "dem eagle fings", and 3 units of Dryads ("dem bonzai tree fings"). The rest I do not know.

I really would appreciate any advice, please help!

#20 ·
The latest list in this thread will be used against Wood Elves in 2 weeks time and I need some help from my fellow Warbosses. This will be my first game for about 10 years and will be the first of many warming up for the Grand Tournament this year.

I know that my opponent will have 2 Treemen ("dem tree fings"), one of them being a lord. He will have 2 wizards ("dem wimpy fings"), one level 2, one level 1. He will have 3 of "dem eagle fings", and 3 units of Dryads ("dem bonzai tree fings"). The rest I do not know.

I really would appreciate any advice, please help!
Its a tough one to comment on. Wood Elves are one of the most frustrating armies to face with their tree spirits and what not...

By the sounds of the list there is a little cheese there in the form of 2 Treemen! in 2000pts. I would be sending the giants out to go for them but I get a feeling that a Treeman might be too much for a giant.

The worst thing for you is that most of what you have mentioned causes FEAR or Terror!!! Not a good thing for the gobbos.

Be prepared to see the woods moving around a bit.

With a bit of luck you will get the squigs into them fail a LD test and run amok! I've seen that work really well against most armies.

I wish you the best in this game... It might be worth having a few more fanatics in the army if you can... they will help facing any potential charges you might meet...

Just watch out for the Treemen's stangle root attack that could cause some quick panic tests on your units as well.

#22 · (Edited)
Result - Moral Victory!!!

Just to let y'all know that the most recent list in this post drew with Wood Elves, though I did have 230 victory points more than my opponent, so just a moral victory then! I was 70 points shy of a minor victory! :happy:

The army I faced was as follows, I am not going to list points or magic items as I don't know exactly what had what:

Characters
1 Treeman Ancient with some spites that had poisoned attacks
1 Spellsinger level 2
1 Branch wraith level 1

Core Units
9 Dryads
9 Dryads
8 Dryads
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard

Special Units
3 Warhawk Riders
4 Treekin
5 Wardancers

Rare Units:
1 Treeman

The highlights of the game were:
  1. Skarsnik and Gobbla and his retinue of little green gits charging a unit of 4 Tree Kin and beating them in the first round of combat, causing them to flee, mowing them down and overrunning into a unit of Dryads, who in the following turn got whooped too and ran from the field of battle. That earned me about 500 VPs!
  2. A unit of Squig Hoppers getting charged by some Warhawk riders and munching through "dem fevery eagle fings" in the first round of combat, causing them to flee and subsequently running them down!
  3. A unit of Squig Herds lasting three turns against a Treeman, that had previously repelled the charge of a unit of Squig Hoppers with the Squig Hoppers fleeing and never rallying for the whole game. The Treeman was supported later in the game by a unit of Dryads which made the Squigs in the herd mad and caused even more damage!
  4. Two miscasts made by the Snagletoof Shroomsnorta in the course of the game. I didn't have much luck in the Magic Phase. Luckily the miscasts weren't too bad. The first miscast resulted in my Shaman becoming frenzied and stupid, the second miscast resulted in the Shaman forgetting the spell he was trying to cast for good!
  5. The face off in the latter part of the game between a Treeman Ancient and Rotgut Cowscoffa (one of my giants). Rotgut seeming had a fetish for headbutting on the day and the Treeman didn't really have an answer (well actually he can't answer to that!). He fled on the last turn of the game so I got all 475 points for that!
  6. Ficko Oomeemasha getting pin cushioned by those amazingly accurate and powerful bows on those Glade Guard. Then getting sliced and diced by 5 Wardancers before he could stuff any of the little gits down his trousers or bite their heads off.
  7. My two units of archers getting minced without scoring a wound with their bows!
  8. Lots of woods moving in the Magic Phase!
  9. Lots of arrows and Stangle Root attacks!
  10. Forgetting to use my nets!
  11. Forgetting to Waaagh!
  12. Hisspits lads not seeing any action, either running from Treemen (Terror) or getting battered by my own Fanatics
  13. Useless fanatics which in total killed one Dryad and about 10 Goblins!!!!
  14. No magic, we both had 2 dispel scrolls and no one managed to get a good spell to go off!

#23 · (Edited)
Next game - Infighting

It would seem that all is not well amongst the greenskins as they are caught in constant infighting and animosity of a grand scale!

My next game will be against Orcs and Goblins!! My opponents forces will be led by Grimgor Ironhide and his Immortulz and the game will surely be a blood bath. Grimgor is the greater daemon of all things green after all. I think my opponent will have a Boar Chariot as well as 40 Squig Hoppers, and 3 level 2 Night Goblin Shamans!

I have made one minor modification to the latest list in this thread, namely to give Hissspit Funderfart back his coveted Horn of Urgok (that's how he got is name), at the expense of removing 6 Night Goblins with spears and Wollopa's One Hit Wunda. I was previously convinced that the Horn of Urgok would not be worth the points however in my last game against the Wood Elves I found that I couldn't get many spells off, and that my Ld sucked in the latter part of the game when all my units started to get separated.

My main intention with the horn is to draw a couple of dispel dice from my opponent. It is power level 5 so 2 dispel dice would be most peoples choice. I have another 2 bound spells and 2 level 2 Night Goblin Shamans as well as 2 Magic Mushrooms, so if I play my cards right I should definitely get something to go off every turn...

I am very concerned that Grimgor is going to be ustoppable. The only things I think could possibly stop him are:
  1. Gobbla eating him (Down in One - Killing Blow)
  2. A Giant eating him or worse (shoving him in down his undies)
With 800 points tied up in the Immortulz, I am going to go after them with everything. I was thinking about avoiding them but there is no glory in hiding!

Waaaggh!!!!

p.s. I will post the result here after the game.

#24 · (Edited)
Result - Defeat (sort of)!

Just to let everyone know that the most recent list in this post (with the modifications recently discussed) lost against Orcs and Goblins. I do not know how badly I lost because on my turn 3, my opponent got a call, and he said he only had 15 mins left!!! So to be honest it was a bit of a dissappointment as we rushed through the turns to try and finish in 15 mins but things got a bit approximate to say the least. I have listed the highlights below anyway.

At the end of the game (turn 5) I only had two units of fleeing archers, about half of the unit of 34 Night Goblins, Rotgut Cowscoffa and two units of Squig Hoppers, both at or below 50% strength. My opponent had, Grimgor, 1 Level 2 Shaman, about 7 Black Orcs, his 2 units of Night Goblins, both of which above 50% strength, and a Giant.

The army I faced was as follows, I am not going to list points and numbers of the Night Goblins are sketchy:

Characters
Grimgor Ironhide
3 Level 2 Night Goblin Shamans (3 Dispel Scrolls, Staff of Sneaky Stealin', Nibbla's 'itty Ring)

Core Units
35 Night Goblins - Full command, Nets and 1 Fanatic
35 Night Goblins - Full command, Nets and 1 Fanatic
5 Forest Goblin Spider riders with bows

Special Units
20 Black Orcs - Full command, Shields, Banner of Butchery
1 Orc Boar Chariot

Rare Units:
1 Giant
2 Trolls

Highlights of the game:
  1. Hissspit Funderfart and Sprowtwart Fungalgroyn and their retinue taking a charge from the Immortulz (Grimgor and his retinue of Black Orcs) and getting massacred! Grimgor caused 7 wounds alone, killing both Hissspit and Sprowtwart. I killed nothing. The unit fled and luckily escaped subsequently rallying.
  2. Skarsnik charging a unit of Night Goblins and a Giant who were next to each other and causing some damage against the Goblins, but the Giant rolled a flukey result on his attacks (Yell and Bawl) which resulted in my opponent winning the combat by 2. Skarsnik and Gobbla fled into Grimgor's unit which was behind after overrunning a previous combat and were hence massacred! :-(
  3. Rotgut Cowscoffa (one of my giants) recieving the charge of a unit of trolls and butchering them, then running them down, overrunning into a Boar Chariot to join Ficko Oomeemasha attacking it and chasing it off of the table! On its path off the table the chariot squished another one of my opponents Shamans! :)
  4. Grimgor Ironhide felling Ficko Oomeemasha - Timberrrrrrrrr! Ficko fell on the Black Orcs killing 3 of them!
  5. My Squig Herds beating a unit of Night Goblins in combat but failing to run them down! Then getting butchered by Grimgor! Can you see a pattern emerging?
  6. My Night Goblin archers killing 3 Black Orcs with arrows! :)
  7. Squig Hoppers annihilating each other.
  8. No spells going off again (3 Dispel Scrolls)!!!!!
  9. One of my opponents Shamans who was deployed in a ruin in a remote region of the table so that he could cast Foot of Gork, miscasting and blowing his brains out. That'll teach him.
  10. Fanatics actually causing some damage against my opponent! :)
  11. Not having the ability to Waaagh (Skarsnik's early demise)!.
  12. Forgetting Sneaky Schemes!
  13. Managing to cast the Horn of Urgok and getting sounded by it at the same time!
  14. My opponents use of 2 Spider Riders to prevent Skarsnik and Gobbla charging in the side of The Immortulz by aligning them so that I could only charge them! It proved to be decisive as I was winning easly at that point. Things then started to go belly up.
Next game is against Dark Elves on 02/06/08.

#25 · (Edited)
More tinkering...

I have been struggling to think of ways to improve my list in preparation for my game against Dark Elves soon. In the games I have played so far, I have found it very difficult to use both of my units of Night Goblin archers effectively, after all there tends to only be one hill near my general!

The upshot is that one of the units of 20 is now retired, in place I have opted for more Squig Herds :D. I have down sized the unit of 25 (5 teams) in favour of having 2 units of 20 (4 teams). I have found in the games that I have played so far that the Squig Herds usually break or lose in combat with a fair few of their number still remaining. Therefore it seems like a logical decision to down size the units in this way. Taking two units should give me a bit more hitting power too! When the unit does flee it blows up like a fanatic hitting every unit in 2D6" anyway, so the loss of the fanatic that was in the unit of 20 archers is not such a biggy.

You will notice that I have also tinkered again with the magic items of my characters. Hissspit has had his horn confiscated for practicing out of hours. Seriously though (as serious as you can be when talking about toy soldiers:p) the real reason being the cost of the horn, really I was only taking it to draw dispel dice. I have given Hissspit more killing power and survivability, he will be the unlikliest of monster slayers!

Going back to drawing dispel dice, I think there are cheaper alternatives, which are far more likely to do something useful... Magic Mushrooms. Each Magic Mushroom can basically force my opponent to add another 2 dice to a dispel (at best), or use a Dispel Scroll. So over the course of the game I will be able to potentially draw a similar quantity of extra dispel dice and dispel scrolls using the Magic Mushrooms as I would the Horn of Urgok. However, I will also have the ability to cast a spell using 3 power dice and 2 Magic Mushrooms. Timed right I might actually be able to get a spell off when it really counts... ...yeah and perhaps you might frazzle your shaman instead!!! ...he who dares wins my friends.

Please let me know what you think of the revised list below.

Characters:

Skarsnik and Gobbla

Hissspit Funderfart (Night Goblin Big Boss)
Light armour
Hand weapon
Battle Standard Bearer
Nibbla's 'itty Ring
Martog's Best Basha
The Collar of Zorga

Snaggletoof Shroomsnorta (Night Goblin Shaman)
Level 2 Wizard
1 Dispel Scroll
2 Magic Mushrooms

Sprowtwart Fungulgroyn (Night Goblin Shaman)
Level 2 Wizard
1 Dispel Scroll
2 Magic Mushrooms

Core Units:

28 Night Goblins
Spear
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
1 Fanatic
Nets

34 Night Goblins
Musician
Standard Bearer
Boss
2 Fanatics
Nets

20 Night Goblins
Short Bow
Musician
1 Fanatic

Special Units:

4 Night Goblin Squig Herds

4 Night Goblin Squig Herds

Rare Units:

Rotgut Cowscoffa (Giant)

Ficko Oomeemasha (Giant)

#26 · (Edited)
Result - Draw

Okay, sorry to those who are reading this thread (if that is anyone at all) for the delay in uploading the result of my game.

The most recent list drew with Dark Elves! I just scraped a draw to be honest with my opponent some 295 VPs ahead of me.

The army I faced was as follows, I am not going to list points and I do not know what was special or rare:

Characters
Level 4 Sorceress +1 Power Dice Magic Item, Dispel Scroll
Level 2 Sorceress, Dispel Scroll
Dark Elf Noble

Units
19 Dark Elf Warriors - Spear
10 Dark Elf Warriors - Repeater Crossbows
5 Dark Riders - Repeater Crossbows
17 Executioners - Banner of Murder
5 Harpies
5 Shades
2 Cold One Chariots
4 Reaper Bolt Throwers

Highlights of the game:

1. My opponents 4 Reaper Bolt Throwers, his Dark Riders, Shades and Sorceresses causing the near death of one of my Giants in the first turn, and taking a few wounds of my other Giant too. By the end of turn 2 I had 1 Giant left with one wound! He ended up skulking behind a woods in an attempt to claim a table quarter, in the end he just ended up contesting it.
  2. A unit Harpies trying their gnarly hand at harrying a unit of 20 Night Goblin archers and realeasing the crazed Fanatic within. The Fanatic careered into the unit causing 2 casualties. The unit paniced and fled through the Fantatic, another 2 fell to the Fanatic! :) The unit was then below 50% strength and fled from the battle field.
  3. A unit of Squig Hoppers charging a unit of Dark Riders who chose to flee, and flee they did! Right off the battle field!
  4. A unit of Squigs Hoppers charging a unit of Shades who chose to flee and did not rally in their following turn. The Squig Hoppers charged them again causing their destruction and overran into a Reaper Bolt Thrower, dismantling the damn thing. The unit later charged and destroyed another Reaper Bolt Thrower before being shot to bits by the other 2 Bolt Throwers and a unit of Crossbowmen.
  5. A Cold One Chariot stupidly (failed stupidity test) ambling forward and breaking my opponents battle line. Skarsnik and Hissspit who were both in the same unit of spearmen, all Waaaghed into the chariot in an attempt to severely punish such a blatant act of stupidity, destroying it and overruning into my enemies Executioners. Unfortunately for me, my enemies unit of Warriors were close by and charged Skarsnik and Hissspits unit in the side. In the ensuing fight, Skarsnik and Gobbla issued a challenge which was accepted by the champion of the Executioners. Gobbla gobbled him, and Skarsnik butchered the bits that fell out of Gobblas mouth (overkill). Hissspit attacked the Sorceress in the unit of Executioners felling her with a few strikes of Martog's Best Basha! However it was all in vain as having been charged in the flank and outnumbered Skarsnik and Hissspit lost the fight, fled and were cut down. In future I shall not be so eager to charge Skarsnik into combat!
  6. In the latter part of the game my large unit of Night Goblins charging my enemies unit of Warriors which included his general, the Night Gobbos won and the enemy unit fled but escaped. Still they were fleeing at the end of the game!
  7. My Squig Herds being deployed stupidly, and getting in the way and getting charged by Executioners (one unit) and a Chariot (another unit). When they fled they caused much destruction. In future games I shall be sending the Squig Herds out in front of my main battle line and waiting for them to do their damage before moving in for the kill.
  8. The demise of the archers receiving the overruning Chariot!
  9. Sprowtwart Fungulgroyn double miscasting in the same turn, one due to a mushroom he had been nibbling, found growing on one of his butt cheeks. Always wipe the seat in a public toilet.
  10. My enemies High Sorceress double miscasting in the game, reducing her to one wound!
Next game against Vampire Counts on 09/06/2008.

#27 ·
Nice thread you have going on Matt. I've recently come back to war gaming (along with getting into fantasy) and am planning on getting into Orc's and Gobbo's. Keep up the postings and let us know how the list comes out, along with telling us how the Vampire Counts game goes.

#28 · (Edited)
I love the list but it's unable to take advantage of some of the best tactics available (and necessary) to win with gobbo's.

These guys need to be layered. It's sort of like a wedding cake made out of fungus.

You need some faster units to go ahead and do one of about three things...

• Bate and Flee: Stay far enough away so that your unit flees and hopefuly rallies. In effect this is march blocking and also disrupts your opponet's battle line.
  • Bate and Die:Get right up in the opponets face. Flee the charge and hopefully get run down. this forces your opponet to move his full charge distance. Again drawing the unit away from supporting units and setting up for a counter charge.
  • Challenge warmachines, soft characters, and the such.
I recommend one of the excellent fast cav units available for this job.

2. Combat res needs to come from some place other than ranks and outnumber. Because NG's die so well it's easy for smaller better fighty units more than make up for a possible rank or two less and outnumber.
  • Chariots are great for counter charging and Wolf chariots are great at keeping your opponet honest. Meaning that their great range will keep units at home where you want them.
  • Trolls. A Single troll (or two) is good for this for counter charging units and generating combat res and is resillent enough to take a beating. The advantage of him over a giant is less points, more resillent, will very often cause more combat res because of the giants random attacks. With a battle line like this it's not that hard to keep him within range of the general for the stupidity tests.
3. The back field. You need some units to protect the back field. Many armies are going to be much more manuverable. Squighoppers don't always need to be full bore straight ahead. Keep them behind you lines waiting for that unit of fast cav, flyers, or scouts to get back there and then eat them up. Only a small unit is needed for this because generally these units aren't that tough or armored.

#29 · (Edited)
Result - Massacre!

Thanks for the recent comments. :)

I do agree with all of the points you have made, but, this is a Night Goblin list and so I do not have a great deal to work with. :p

I am willing and toying with the idea of replacing one of the Giants with Trolls, and even taking Snotlings and Snotling Pump Wagons.

Your tactical nous seems developed and I shall study your art of war closely. ;) In the game I have just played I think I have stumbled prematurely upon some of your advice.

Just to let you all know that I massacred Vampire Counts. 1937 vs 418. Hurrah! er hum I mean Waaagh! 8X The list I faced was (as far as I can remember):

Characters
Level 4 Vampire Lord

Vampire
Necromancer
Necromancer

Units
10 Black Knights - Full command, Banner of the Barrows
20 Grave Guard - Full command
20 Ghouls - Champion
20 Skeletons - Spears, full command
10 Skeletons - Full command
10 Skeletons - Full command
8 Dire Wolves

Highlights of the game:
  1. Three of my enemy's units being delayed by some sneaky schemes from Skarsnik. Two small units of Skeletons and his Dire Wolves were harried by wild Squigs even before the battle began delaying their arrival.
  2. My opponent charging Ficko Oomeemasha with his Dire Wolves, who shortly thereafter were in small bits.
  3. My two units of Squig Herds advancing side by side ahead of my main battle line, in unison with my Squig Hoppers advancing around my right flank. The 2 Squig Herds charged shoulder to shoulder into the main bulk of my enemies forces in the centre of the table: a large unit of Grave Guard and a large unit of Skeletons, a unit of Ghouls was adjacent to the Grave Guard.
  4. A unit of Squig Hoppers charged a small unit of Skeletons on the right flank and annihilated them in the first turn of combat, overrunning into the side of the large unit of Skeletons engaged by one of my Squig Herds. Many undead fell to the Squig Herds in the ensuing combat, but the number of the undead were replenished by the Necromancers and Vampires, I just did not have enough dispel dice to stop the raising.
  5. The Ghouls charged into the side of the unit of Squig Herds who were assailing the Grave Guard and caused grevious damage near wiping the Herd out completely with their poisoned attacks. The Squig Herd eventually fled and the fleeing Squigs took many undead with them, as well as some Squigs from the adjacent herd and the Squig Hoppers.
  6. Subsequently the Ghouls overran into the side of my other Squig Herd and more undead were raised to replenish the ranks of the large (although now somewhat smaller) unit of Skeletons locked in mortal combat with my last remaining Squig Herd. My final Squig Herd fell but yet again the maddened Squigs took their toll on the undead as they fled!
  7. Eventually my last Squig Hopper unit managed to join the battle against the large unit of Skeletons, and the Skeletons and the Necromancer leading the unit eventually crumbled under the ferocious Squigs.
  8. Whilst the battle raged in the centre my opponent commited to charge his Black Knights which included his Vampire Lord into my unit of Archers, using Vanhel's Dance Maccabre. Unfortunately for him I chose to flee and his momentum took him through a Fanatic for no gain, which took one of the Knights out and left them stranded. The archers rallied under some tricksy trap, and shot another Black Knight from his saddle. Waaagh!
  9. Rotgut Cowscoffa charged into the side of the stranded Black Knights, only to shout at them. 2 Black Knights crumbled under the bellowing Rotgut and his pungeant breath. In subsequent rounds the combat was close and Rotgut started to lose some wounds as the Vampire Lord started to move with deathly vigour. The Black Knights had some of their number replenished by the magic and a magic item of the Vampire Lord which turned wounds taken into wounds healed for the unit! Rotgut started to jump up on the Black Knights in dispair to try and make the Black Knights stay down. Rotgut's plan started to work and soon the Vampire was left with only a few Black Knights for company.
  10. Eventually Ficko Oomeemasha came to the rescue and charged into the Black Knights too! Ficko having seen Rotgut dancing on the Knights decided to jump up and down too (it must have been like River Dance), and after the dust had settled, and the Giants had stopped guffawing and kicking their legs, a very flat Vampire Lord door mat was peeled from the dirt and stuffed down Ficko's trousers for safe keeping.
  11. Skarsnik managing to cause much damage (relative to previous games) with his prodder, at least 4 Ghouls and 2 Grave Guard fell during the game. My opponent chose to save Dispel Dice for raising the dead, or thought I had lots of other spells to come.
  12. My opponent had over 10 Power Dice, over 7 Dispel Dice and 2 Dispel Scrolls.
  13. Managing to cast Gork'll Fix It on the Black Knights whilst they were in combat with Rotgut, I rolled irresistably.
  14. My enemies armies crumbling to dust with the death of the Vampire Lord.
My plan with the Squig Herds worked a treat and they caused tremendous damage and were unaffected by any psychology. Skarsnik and Hissspit who were deployed in the same unit of spearmen did not see any action and neither did my other large unit of Night Goblins. They were primed to counter charge if need be, if the Squigs or the Giants failed.

Next game in 3 weeks against Skaven. I'm off on hols for a couple of weeks.:party:

Keep it green!

Waaaagh!

#31 ·
Trully a great victory!!!

LOL. If I was a betting man I would say that the VC should have wreaked massed havoc on your list. sounds like you made good decisions at key points in the game and turned out to be the stronger of the two generals.

Keeping Shars out of combat was probably a good thing.

Did your opponet try to raise any zombies to flesh out the fanatics? Seems to me that would be a good strategy early in the game while all your units are on your side of the table.

#32 ·
Did your opponet try to raise any zombies to flesh out the fanatics? Seems to me that would be a good strategy early in the game while all your units are on your side of the table.
He didn't actually, he was more concerned with replenishing those models that he had lost! You'll notice my list is not Fanatic heavy as I do think they are very hit and miss. Too many fanatics is a very bad thing. Getting squished after panicing for one, and getting in the way of a friendly charge is another.

I think his tactic with the smaller units was to "beef" them up using magic. I got to one of them early and the other one fell behind the battle line due to sneaky schemes and being far from a Vampire (no marching) so he just left it.

What performed well were obviously the Squigs Herds, the Squig Hoppers and the Giants. Being immune to Psychology is my big advantage with these units, and they are very manoeuverable. They easily fulfil the function of fast cavalry and more!

I think my opponent thought that he would stand a chance against the Giants with his Vampire, but sadly for him, he really didn't. Perhaps it had something to do with how he tooled him up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.