2000 point Goblin friendly army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point Goblin friendly army

My brother got the battle for skull pass for the dwarfs, so i just gave him $20 for the goblins. I dont want any orcs in my army (accept bullys for my war machines). So here is my 2002 point list. Tell me what you think.

LORD:
    Grom Punch of Misy Mountain. 255 points.

CHARACTERS/HEROES:
    Goblin Big Boss on Giant cave squig... Great weapon... Warbanner... light armour... martogs best basha... and sneaky skewer. 141 points

Goblin shaman... collar of zorga 60 points.

CORE UNITS:

20 night goblins with spear and shield.. full command.. two fanatics.. nets 185 points
    20 night goblins with spear and shield.. full command.. one fanatic.. nets. 160 points
    20 goblins with spear and shield.. full command. 120 points
    20 goblins with shield and hand weapon.. full command. 100 points
    10 forest goblin spider riders (spear and shield) with full command. 150 points.
    10 goblin wolf riders with spear and shield.. full command. 120 points
    1 snotling base (had to have one) 20 points

SPECIAL UNITS:

10 night goblin Squig Hoppers.. 150 points.
    2 squig herds... 60 points
    Goblin wolf chariot.. extra wolf and extra crew member.. 66 points.
    2 goblin spear chukkas.. one orc bully each.. 80 points. (two spear chukkas count as one special)

RARE UNITS:
    Giant.. 205 points
    Two snotling pump wagons (count as one rare) .. 80 points.

Tell me what you think about it. I know some people say not to worry about taking full commands on goblins but i just disagree with that. I think for 8 points its worth to have a standard. plus this list is for fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for double post. but i realized that for some reason when i clicked post i wasnt logged in so i loged in and posted and it posted three times. I cant seem to find how to delete the other two. Sorry if this is a over asked question, i just registered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, thought I would throw my 2 teef into the ring here.

I'd agree with most and don't take full command on any of my units. I do however take the banner and muso on them all.

Most people run their blocks in units of 25 minimum (that way you can take some casualties without losing that extra rank). Personally I take no less than 36 NG in a unit and rank them up 6 by 6.

As far as your heroes are concerned, I wouldn't worry about zorga's collar, theres an extra gobbo in that, but you may wan to take 2 dispell scrolls depending on who you are fighting. Also when you take a magic weapon you have to use it. So get rid of the greatweapon. Secondly when you buy a magic item (period) you are only allowed to buy one of each type (armor, talisman, weapon, shield... though magic mushies and dispell scrolls are excepted from this rule). So get rid of either the skewerer or basha.

There is always a big argument between giving gobbos spears or sticking with HW/Shield. Personally I like my fodder cheap, so I go with the latter. I also believe the save is more likely to help than a few terribly usless attacks back. But thats a personal choice.

If you want only gobbos and want a tougher unit, you could upgrade those common gobbos to what is commonly known as 'Ard Gits. HW/Shield/Light armor does quite nicely and will give them a decent melee save. Does make them a little expensive though so again personal choice.

Again, depending on who you are fighting that giant will drop like yesterday's curry lunch. Anythign with a cannon... and you have a good chance of losing him to the first shot... definitly with the second. Though I personally have one and love the model... in game.. it either does well, or is a massive point loss early on. The only suggestion for change I could make here is maybe turning him into a unit of trolls (I swap between trolls and giant myself). For the same price you can get 5 trolls (thats 15 regenerating wounds). Of course stupidity then becomes an issue so its a matter of choosing where to place them.

Overall though you have the right idea... take gobbos and lots of em. Good luck!
    “You know wot the chain o’ command is? It's the chain I go get and bash you wiv 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command round here.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. Yea I m gonna drop the bosses in all the squads and keep a standard and a musician. I just like the way the bosses look so i ll keep em as normal gobbos. I ll take the advice of dropping the spears on the normal gobbos and just keep the shield with hand weapon, so it gives me an extra five gobbos. But the night goblins i ll keep the spears because in the skull pass set it only gives spearmen and bowmen (no gobbo bowmen in my army ). And thanks for telling me about the magic items rule. its been two years since i played warhammer, so i gotta brush up. About the Giant, I know he can get taken down pretty easy by bolt throwers or cannons. But i had to have one in my army. Its too cool to miss. i ll try to keep him by terrain and stay in between two gobbo units or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is only a friendly game then WSYWIG (what you see is what you get) isn't as much of an issue.

My friend and I have a simple rule. The models in the front rank represent the whole unit. So if they have HW/Shield then so does the rest of the unit. This was I was able to model my ORcs and Gobbos with all weapon combinations and swap around the front rank game to game dependant on how I wanted to play them. Might work for you and your mates, might not... but it's worth a try!

...and I fully understad the giant. As I sai, have one myself for the exact same reason!
    “You know wot the chain o’ command is? It's the chain I go get and bash you wiv 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command round here.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have revised my army list, hopefully for the better. If i battle elves I ll swap Grom back in, but i ll be a bit over 2000. Anyway here is my new list. it seems much more sturdier. Tell me what you think. Actually, while im posting, I have a question. On my goblin war boss and big boss, they both have a magic weapon, and a normal shield. Does the magic weapon count as a hand weapon. Or is the shield only good for the +1 when getting shot at by bows.

LORD:
    Goblin Warboss on Gigantic spider (took out giant cave squig because i thought what if I rolled
    low when charging)... Martog's best basha... Effigy of Mork... light armour and shield... 161 points.

HEROES:
    Goblin Big Boss on wolf... sword of might... battle standard.. light armour and shield.. 86 points
    Lvl 2 Goblin Shaman... staff of Baddumm... 130 points.

CORE UNITS:
    20 night goblins with spear and shield, musician, standard, nets, 2 fanatics... 177 points.
    20 night goblins with spear and sheild, musician, standard, nets, 1 fanatics... 152 points.
    20 goblins, hand weapon and shield, light armour, standard, musician... 92 points.
    20 goblins, hand weapon and shield, light armour, standard, musician... 92 points.
    10 forest goblin spider riders, musician, standard... 148 points.
    10 Goblin wolf riders, spears and shield, standard, musician, boss... 170 points.
    3 snotling bases... 60 points

SPECIAL UNITS:
    10 night goblin squig hpeers... 150 points
    2 squig herds... 60 points
    Goblin wolf chariot, extra wolf, extra crew... 66 points
    2 spear chukkas, 2 bullies... 80 points

RARE UNITS:
    Giant... 205 points
    2 pump wagons... 80 points
    TOTAL: 2001 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still suggest making those gobbo units bigger. Gobbos are pretty useless at killing things so rely a lot on their combat res to win. I guarantee you will have lost a rank on most 20 gobbo units by the time they get into combat.

So get rid of one unit, and add 5 gobbos to each of the others...

On my goblin war boss and big boss, they both have a magic weapon, and a normal shield. Does the magic weapon count as a hand weapon. Or is the shield only good for the +1 when getting shot at by bows.
    MAgic weapons don't count as hand weapons, so you won't get a parry bonus. That said the shield will give you a +1 when being shot at and still give you a +1 in melee, so its pretty much always worth the points.

I'd actually be tempted to split your wolf riders and spiderz into units of 5 each... you will have more fast units to play with making flanking much easier, but they will need to take panic checks quicker as well... so it's a tossup there as to what you want.

Otherwise it looks like a fun list to play with!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea my list is a work in progress. I decided that if i put my warboss on a giant spider the spider might not pull his points and i ll get shot at anyway. SO i modded my list again. I took away his mount and put him in a gobbo unit of 30. I put my big boss in my wolf rider unit. But i kept the night gobbos the same. I dont want to buy another box of them. I would like some advice though. Should I keep the nets on my night gobbos if they are only in units of 20? I mean the fanatics will hopefully go far enough into the enemy when they launch. And then if the enemy charges me that minus one strength could be nice. I might split my spiders into a unit of two, but not the wolves since they arent fast cave if they have shields and that rank bonus helps a lot. and hopefully i ll still have that rank and maybe i ll flank : )
    Last edited by 0ctavion1992; August 6th, 2008 at 04:07. Reason: dont want to double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use nets in my NG units, but as I said they are units of 36 so it only costs me 1 point per model... the less NGs you have the less cost effective the nets become. In a unit of 20... I probably wouldn't bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i ll put my night goblins into one large unit of 40 night goblins. and with the extra 35 points i ll put in another fanatic and get a boss in the squad.
    Last edited by 0ctavion1992; August 6th, 2008 at 04:37. Reason: spelling mistake

+ Reply to Thread