2250 Night Goblins, need some help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

2250 Night Goblins, need some help

Played 40K for some time and I'm standing up a Fantasy list. Decided to go with a Night Golbin Theme. I've got a core force, but I need some help with support. So far the units I have are:

4x 35xman blocks of night goblins w/ spears and shields, nets + cmd + 3x Fanatics

Skarsnik and Gobbla

16 Squig Hoppers

These are the units I'm keeping in the list, but I'm not sure what to support them with. Other units I have easy access to:

4x Bolt Throwers
    1x Doom Diver
    3x Stone Trolls
    A squig herd (can't recall how many)
    2x Night Golbin Wizards

Any help would be great.

Last edited by Mastershake; January 8th, 2009 at 22:12.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One unit you seem to be missing that I can't recommend enough is a BSB.

With LD 5/8 you're going to be failing break checks a lot, and with the BSB, you'll get to reroll those.

Also, give the BSB the Big Red Raggedy banner, because Panic, just like Break checks, can decimate your army, and the banner lets you reroll Panic checks as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bolt throwers are awesome and the doom diver is always a choice in my gobbo army. They can be pretty amazing. The trolls in a all goblin army are tough as the leadership is really suffering. To lessen the impact I have seen folks take just one troll in his own little unit and they kind of use him like a chaos spawn =) The wizards as scroll caddies are fine by me too.

I love the 35 goblin blocks! Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nugnug View Post
    The bolt throwers are awesome and the doom diver is always a choice in my gobbo army. They can be pretty amazing. The trolls in a all goblin army are tough as the leadership is really suffering. To lessen the impact I have seen folks take just one troll in his own little unit and they kind of use him like a chaos spawn =) The wizards as scroll caddies are fine by me too.

I love the 35 goblin blocks! Good luck
    Well, they're using Skarsnik, so the low leadership problem Trolls have isn't as bad.

30 strong blocks of gobbos saved me from making panic checks from shooting in my last 1k point game.

He'd only manage to kill 6 gobbos each turn from shooting. If I had any less, they would have been running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    Played 40K for some time and I'm standing up a Fantasy list. Decided to go with a Night Golbin Theme. I've got a core force, but I need some help with support. So far the units I have are:

4x 35xman blocks of night goblins w/ spears and shields, nets + cmd + 3x Fanatics

Skarsnik and Gobbla

16 Squig Hoppers

These are the units I'm keeping in the list, but I'm not sure what to support them with. Other units I have easy access to:

4x Bolt Throwers
    1x Doom Diver
    3x Stone Trolls
    A squig herd (can't recall how many)
    2x Night Golbin Wizards

Any help would be great.
    I would probably drop the blocks of spearmen blocks to 30, as you may suffer from some maneuverability and in my experience you will 'rarely' be taking panic checks from missile fire with 30. However, if you are running Skarsnik, it will definitely be nice to have him shoot some extra magic missiles from his rod (if it doesn't always get dispelled!). Oh, and I would also take off the banners and champions except on Skarsniks unit, it would most likely end up being 300 hundred free points for your opponent.

For squig hoppers I think they work nice in blocks of 9. Considering they all have to move the exact same amount, I would make custom movement trays that looks like a X's and O's grid (leave about 5mm between each squig).

A sguig herd works great as a suicide unit. Make a unit of 10 and send it up towards something that would be vulnerable to it blowing up and watch the fun!

I personally like rock lobbas' better than spear chuckas', so I would take one of those instead and convert it to launch squigs. It is really easy to do, and it would fit your night goblin theme nicely!

You could also invest in a giant and convert it to look like it's bound by a bunch of fanatics or something like that. I think it would add some nice punch to a fairly non-punchy goblin list.

One other thing I might invest in would be a couple units of 5 spider riders. Wolf riders have their advantages, but giant spiders fit a kind of subterranean theme a little nicer IMO.

Hope this helps : )
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to use 40 goblin blocks of spearmen in the last army book, but now I usually run 35. You may have problems with manuvering, but it depends on your local table tops. The trolls are ok with Skarsnik, but I am troll adverse. One thing nice about trolls is they do not suffer from animosity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nugnug View Post
    I used to use 40 goblin blocks of spearmen in the last army book, but now I usually run 35. You may have problems with manuvering, but it depends on your local table tops. The trolls are ok with Skarsnik, but I am troll adverse. One thing nice about trolls is they do not suffer from animosity.
    I personally would rather have them suffer from animosity than stupidity, as then the trolls would become as independent as other greenskins and not have to be babysat by high LDS. But trolls definitely have a fun appeal to them, especially when you stick a warboss in the unit and get a free WAAAGH off, no one ever expects it because trolls aren't supposed to WAAAGH...right?
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure I would have no issue trading the stupidity away! Thats the main reason I dont use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Thanks for the help all around. Definitely some good ideas. I'll have to hammer out the rest over some games.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well good luck with all of your future orcs and goblins endeavors! And remember when starting out and trying new units, proxying is your friend.

+ Reply to Thread