Skarsnik - Night Gobbo Warband - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skarsnik - Night Gobbo Warband

History - Why I have made this list:

Ok, so i am not a real fan of GW stores.. Dislike the attitude of many of the GW fanboys and redshirts drive me up the wall with their never ending cheese & how they school the little kiddies into taking a hard as list with as many gymics and special characters as possible.. although having no knowledge on how to play them.. For this Fanboyism, I usually do not enter GW events.. (here in Aus), however, as I have just picked up night Gobbos of late, i thought the Local GW Battle Bunker event next month may be a good place to up the profile of my army and playing ability, taking on the piles of cheese with an under strengh army, that will at least provide me with a lot of enjoyment for the day.

I am not usually a fan of Special characters... In fact i have never taken one before in anything more then th most freindly muck around of all battles.. i just really dislike the crutch that they provide.. in saying this, I was at the local store the other night (Late games Night) just for the catch up with my mates & decided to have a game against a young demon player schooled by the store..
    I pulled off a draw with my average Night gobbo list against a well drilled full nurgle deamons army with Epididimus or whatever he is.. it was definatly overkill this guy taking a special character against my army!

So the guys at the store tell me If I want to do well in this tourney.. I really should take a Special character.. they in fact insist i do and say i will actually go better in comp and theme if I did... "go figure" I think..

So out birthed this list..

Justification of particular choices:

- Twin linked Giants. I have chosen to go with the two giants, mainly for the added defence. I prefer to play these guys in a bit more of a protection / threat role.. becomeing more of a deterant then a front line warrior.

Not sure if this is the right move, they are a big points investment.. However I think they bring good synergy to the list.

two stubborn 10 terror causers, with a Bsb nearby.

- BSB with "bad moon on a stick"
    Not the option i would usually go for, as I have a preference for the red raggedy banner, however I think this particular banner suits the play style of the list much more, as it provides a 3rd resilient unit that is stubborn and will be hard to move in combat.

Big unit with nets & fanatics, stubborn 8 with re-roll

- 4 spear chukkas.. Idea behind this is to use them to take out opposition terror causers and high toughness creatures.

- Skarsnik himself... I wouldn't usually take him, but have tried my bst to build a list around his strenghs..

Idea of list is to provide a large deterent to those lists that want to come and reem me in CC. List will castle together predominantly, whilst spiders & squigs provide redirection and coaz the opposition away from my harder to kill castle..

Here is the List:

Skarsnik
    -General

Night Goblin Big Boss
    Bsb, Bad moon on a stick, Light armour
    107pts

Night Goblin Shaman
    lvl2, Staff of sorcery, Mad cap Mushrooms
    135pts

Night Goblin Shaman
    Lvl2, 2 x dispel scrolls
    135pts

26 x Night Goblins
    Nets, Full Command, 3 x fanatics
    208pts

25 x Night Goblins
    Spears, Full Command, Nets, 2 x fanatics
    205pts

25 x Night Goblins
    Spears, Full Command, 2 x Fanataics
    170pts

20 x Night Goblins
    Bows, Musician, 2 Fanatics
    114pts

2 x Snotlings
    3 x Snotlings

5 x Spider riders
    Bows, Musician
    76pts

5 x Spider Riders
    Bows, Musician
    76pts

2 x Spear Chukkas
    2 x Spear Chukkas

7 x Squig Hoppers

2 x Squig Herds

Giant
    Giant

Total points: 2246

Power Dice: 6
    Dispel Dice: 4 + 2 scrolls + (1) to Dispel

[2000] Orks [2000] Tau,
    [1500]SM [2250] WHFB Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

I'd say get one of the shamans the itty ring, probably instead of the scroll. Apart from that I'd try to squeeze another unit or 2 of gobbos in there simply because Skarsnik's spell is an awesome one when it goes off big.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make a very good point. thankyou.

I already have some great ideas involving the synergy between 2 20 man Night gobbo units screening the big units, then Flee, rally, reform, move...

However @ 60pts pers s6 hit.. is it worth it? I would also have to cram them in the 12" zone, which currently has 3-4 NG units in..

I was debating this.. Mad cap mushrooms V Nibblas itty ring ?
    [2000] Orks [2000] Tau,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Generally fairly easy to do. I've managed 7-8 hits with him before, on the first turn of a game having soaked out all other DD etc. Goodbye unit of chaos chosen knights on 2s! Needless to say my opponent was not impressed. Make sure you give the bait and flee units about 23 in each squad and a musician. This keeps them useful a little longer and means they can rally. Sometimes. Mushrooms are good, I'd almost be tempted to rid the staff and take 3 shrooms and the ring, but that's just signing that one guy's death warrant. You could split the scrolls, have one scroll/ring, the other scroll/2 shroom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any other Goblin veterens out there that can shed some light on how this list will run?

I may not have outlined this in my original post.

I am Brand new to goblins! have played one game with them so far, so all my list building knowledge has been from stats and past experience playing against them..
    [2000] Orks [2000] Tau,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

Well, some other pointers I would give are:
    I personally don't use BMon a pole, if I even take a BSB I use an orc one with the horn of Urgok, t4 helps eliminate the effects of the s5 hit but a goblin one would be OK in a themed army.

Snotlings aren't great, swap them out.

Take the fanatics out of the bows unit, thats almost a completely new unit.

Think about making a spider unit 6 or 7 and dropping the second unit. 5 by themselves do very little, but 7 can be a veritable thorn in the side for almost anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone once described the Horn of Urgok as the best wrapped piece of trash around. A very common mistake is that the +1 leadership lasts until your next turn, it only lasts until the end of you current turn, which means all it really helps you overcome is fear tests when you charge fear causing enemies. For 50 points thats crazy.

And about the Snotlings, they're basically no animosity screens. Put them in front of pricey units, walk em forward and just before you're in charge range, move em up with a 90 degree turn so someone can rear-charge them and you set up a flank charge when they break.
    Last edited by Fool; May 27th, 2009 at 15:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

I know it's seen as overpriced, but that +/-1Ld can make a big difference when it comes to break tests. Plus its another spell which an oppenent who's not concentrating properly may choose to dispel (on a good bound level) and thus waste more dice.

+ Reply to Thread