2000pts of variety!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

2000pts of variety!!!

Hi guys,

Wanting to call upon your experience here, I'm about finished building my Warriors of Chaos cavalry army and I'm starting to think about a Greenskin horde, main reasoning being that they sound almost as loopy and out of control as my dice (I kid you not, first game using my new Warriors of Chaos, 1st spell: double 1, 2nd spell: triple 1).

I've already got in my possession, 10 Orcs, 2 Spear Chukkas, Doom Diver, BfSP Goblins and an extra Troll. Looking to add to them accordingly.

From the army book and various other sources, my impression is that Waaagh! Magic tends to be quite a good source of victory points... for the enemy... so I want to gear my Boyz up for anti-magic.

I'm looking to add the variety through the Gobbo War Machines (Rock Lobba and Doom Diver in particular). In fact, I'm tempted to scratch build a Rock Lobba using the tied up Dwarf from BfSP as the 'Rock' and maybe part of the Dwarf wall as the counter-weight (Greenskin resourcefulness knows no bounds).

This is what I've designed so far:

Lord

Black Orc Warboss
    H.Armr, Boar
    Enchanted Shield, Ulag's Akrit Axe
    Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'at
    Bigged's Kickin' Boots

Heroes

Black Orc BSB
    H.Armr, Boar
    Mork's Spirit Totem

Night Goblin Shaman Lvl1
    2x Scrolls

Night Goblin Shaman Lvl1
    Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Core

24 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield, Spear
    Full Cmd

24 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield, Spear
    Full Cmd

5 Spider Riders
    Mus

5 Spider Riders
    Mus

29 Night Goblins
    Spears & Shields
    Full Cmd
    2 Fanatics

29 Night Goblins
    Spears & Shields
    Full Cmd
    2 Fanatics

Special

2x Spear Chukkas

Boar Chariot

Boar Chariot

Rock Lobba

Rare

2 Trolls

Doom Diver

Total: 2000pts

The 2 units of Boyz would be the centre of the line with Black Orcs leading them (they WILL hold the line), Chariots supporting their advance with the Night Gobbos outside of the Chariots (hopefully giving the Chariots a choice of unit to support in combat). 2 Trolls on one flank (nearest the General and his Ld) and both units of Spider Riders on the other flank (the flank that will hopefully have table quarters more readily available).

Magic-wise, the army with 2 shamen/shamans/shamii bring 4 PD and 8 DD with 2 scrolls and can hide in amongst big blocks of Night Gobbos.

I'm a little dubious of having 2 Trolls... my automatic reaction would normally be to have 3 so that they've a 120mm frontage for 9 S5 attacks. Although, with 2 they make a decent support unit that can negate ranks on the flank (US 6).

Anyway, thoughts, opinions, comments and criticisms are all welcome, that's why I'm putting this up here after all!!!

Last edited by thetopcat84; November 4th, 2009 at 17:37. Reason: Correcting list (I was out by 2 Orcs!!!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

That looks like a really top list really. For what you've fit into 2000 points, looks great.

The only thing is maybe make one unit of Night Goblins with short bows. Without nets, all they do is deliver fanatics then die, may as well make some of them shoot too!

Tim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    That looks like a really top list really. For what you've fit into 2000 points, looks great.
    Thanks, Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    The only thing is maybe make one unit of Night Goblins with short bows. Without nets, all they do is deliver fanatics then die, may as well make some of them shoot too!

Tim
    I see what you mean, given that they're WS2, T3 with a 6+ AS, they'll struggle to survive anything, in fact I can see a unit of 20 NG Bowmen offering a small amount of protection to my war machines from fast cavalry charging in. I did have the idea in my head that they'd be out wide (but within 12" of the Warboss) with a SCR of 5 (3 ranks, Std + outnumber) and their job will be to hold up the enemy with fanatics and/or their SCR for either Trolls or a chariot to come to their rescue.

For the points, I could easily swap both units of Night Gobbos out for two more large units of Orc Boyz (23 strong with Full Cmd). In fact, I'd be tempted to change the two Night Gobbo Shaman for two Goblin Shaman on Wolves. That way, they occupy 25mmx50mm in the two new Orc units. So the two units of Orcs not led by the Black Orcs would get the "We'll show 'em" result on a 3+ (if they've still got 3 ranks) and the BSB unit would get it on a 2+! Although, fielding 4 units of Orc Boyz doesn't have much variety, I could always swap them in later.

One of the other main areas of question for me are 'da boyz' armed with spears. I guess having played with a cavalry army for a while, I know how much I don't want to be on the receiving end of a charge without attacking back! Though, with a well executed Waaagh! I should be leaping in with Choppas at the ready!

Last thing for me to mention (in this post, anyway) is of a fluffy nature. Because my Warboss will be wearing "Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'at" I've decided my Warboss will be called "Umm" and the BSB will be his brother, called "Erm."

Male Orc: "'ere, what yoo callin' this 'un?"
    Mother: "Umm..."
    Male Orc: "An' der ovva one?"
    Mother: "Erm..."

They inherited their fathers intelligence (I:4)
    Last edited by thetopcat84; November 6th, 2009 at 14:25. Reason: Correcting myself on the Waaagh! rule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

The Fanatics the Night Goblins bring are still very useful, I won't swap them for Orcs so quickly, considering how many you have already. Perhaps do one of two things from here with the NG's, if they don't get nets - either give them bows, or drop the spears and command. Either way, you're thinking about Fanatic delivery, and yes, the bows are a good guard unit.

I've run my Warboss inside my Night Goblins for a few games now, and I reckon it's pretty good. I run 40 Night Goblins, 3 Fanatics, Nets, Spears, Full Command. It's a classic setup where the unit provides the static res (unless I'm fighting something I can hurt, then I break out the spears!) and the Character provides kills. If it doesn't win combat, the BSB is usually nearby, turning them into a tarpit style unit. Then my Giant comes crashing into the flanks

In short, keep the Goblins, just mess around with them 'til they work. They're pretty good

I don't mind the spear of the Orcs, they're a very tough and flexible model for 7 points, but just remember you're still only getting S3 attacks from them, pick the right weapon for the right situation. I chosen spears on my Night Goblins, only to bounce off Chaos Warrior armour! Perhaps consider a compromise if you can't find the points - go for additional choppas and shields on the unit the Warboss will join, as they will Waaah! automatically, and the other unit can just keep shields.

But that said, I don't think spears are a bad option. Some people don't rate them, to me they are something that helps in an all comers list. If you're fighting Elves, Goblins, Zombies or such, there's nothing wrong with spears!

Just something to throw out there, one setup I really want to try with spears would be 18 Savage Orcs with spears. Kinda like the way Saurus are so tough....but it's an Orc!
    Last edited by timk1111; November 7th, 2009 at 12:10.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Well, keeping in mind that the armies most often played at my local club are Warriors of Chaos and Lizardmen, think I'll be bringing in the T4 boyz.

Revised list:

Lord

Black Orc Warboss
    H.Armr, Boar
    Bigged's Kickin' Boots

Heroes

Black Orc BSB
    H.Armr, Boar
    Mork's Spirit Totem

Black Orc Big Boss

H.Armr, Shield, Boar
    Martog's Best Basha, Effigy of Mork

Orc Shaman Lvl1
    2x Scrolls

Boar

Core

25 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

25 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

25 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

25 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield

Full Cmd

5 Wolf Riders
    Spears, L.Armr

Mus

5 Wolf Riders
    Spears

Mus

Special

2x Spear Chukkas

2x Spear Chukkas

Boar Chariot

Boar Chariot

Rare

Troll

Doom Diver

Total 2000pts

Dropped out the Rock Lobber coz the Chaos armies won’t have big blocks for me to aim at, changed the Spiders for Wolves coz they’re quicker and I just bought them on ebay, dropped the Gobbo Heroes for a B’Orc Big Boss for a third fighty unit and Orc scroll caddie on a boar so that he stands more of a chance with his T and AS and also provides a S5 attack on the charge from the boar. Ditched the spears, they won’t get used when all I want is resilience from the Boyz giving combat res. Wondering what to do about having a single troll on the list… does he get thrown into combat with a unit that doesn’t have a boar chariot with it or does he get dropped for more Orc Boyz? Would like to get a unit of 20 Night Gobbos in there actually... just to have a block to sit on the end of the line with a musician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I find wyverns and giants are good against warriors of chaos and lizardmen if you keep them away from skinks. Black Orcs with banner of butchery also can break a saurus unit on the charge (OR Savage Orc Big Uns w/ 2 hand weapons if you don't want to use a special choice.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDogmeat View Post
    I find wyverns and giants are good against warriors of chaos and lizardmen if you keep them away from skinks.
    I def want a Wyvern for a 3000pt list, but at 2000pts I don't want my general and his valuable leadership flying out of reach of 'da boyz.' Though, I reckon a giant would add great entertainment value. In fact, the only time I've seen a giant in play was with Beasts of Chaos, and as soon as it got into combat, it drew a crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDogmeat View Post
    Black Orcs with banner of butchery also can break a saurus unit on the charge (OR Savage Orc Big Uns w/ 2 hand weapons if you don't want to use a special choice.)
    To be fair, for the amount of points you'd be paying to put those units out in effective numbers, they should be able to break Saurus! I guess it's down to preference, but I'd like to take extra numbers in my army over beefing up units. For the price of big 'uns you can have a regular 'un and a goblin!

I've settled on my final 2000pts list (which has gone back to the variety I wanted in the first place...)

Lord

Black Orc Warboss
    H.Armr, Boar
    Bigged's Kickin' Boots

Heroes

Black Orc BSB
    H.Armr, Boar
    Mork's Spirit Totem

Black Orc Big Boss
    H.Armr, Boar
    Martog's Best Basha
    Effigy of Mork

Night Goblin Shaman Lvl1
    2x Scrolls

Core

26 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

26 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

26 Orc Boyz
    Choppa, L.Armr, Shield
    Full Cmd

5 Wolf Riders

Mus

5 Wolf Riders
    Mus

20 Night Goblins
    Shields
    Mus
    Fanatic

20 Night Goblins
    Shields
    Mus
    Fanatic

Special

2x Spear Chukkas

2x Spear Chukkas

Boar Chariot

Boar Chariot

Rare

Troll

Doom Diver

Total: 2000pts

Night Goblins releasing thier fanatics through their own units to receive charges should prove interesting (for a potential 2D6 S5 AP hits) and with enough artillery to thin out the enemy, I'll be looking for the Wolf Riders to march block as much as possible so I can shoot as much as possible before counter-charging with a good Waaagh! (assuming 'da boyz' behave themselves enough).
    Last edited by thetopcat84; November 13th, 2009 at 19:30.

+ Reply to Thread