<3000 Considering Orcs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Considering Orcs

I'm thinking about starting WHFB. I play 40k, I've never played a game of WHFB. I haven't seen a list quite like this so it could be complete garbage. Fluff and stuff is great but all I really want to know is, would this list be fun to play i.e. competitive but not TOO competitive. (if it's competitive at all) Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2000pts

Warboss
    Light Armor, Shield, Dragon Helm, Axe of Bloodshed, Iron Nashas

Orc Big Boss 149
    Light Armor, Shield, Mork's Spirit Totem

48 Orc Arrow Boyz 318
    Full Command

Goblin War Boss 121
    Light Armor, Shield, Ogre Blade, Potion of Speed, Pigeon Plucker Pendant

Goblin War Boss 121
    Light Armor, Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Potion of Strength, Collar of Zorga

50 Goblins 220
    Short Bows, Full Command

50 Goblins 220
    Short Bows, Full Command

6 Spear Chukkas 210
    6 Bullies

3 Rock Lobbas 225
    3 Bullies

2 Doom Divers 160

Unlike most of the "gunline" kind of lists I've seen, I think this list wouldn't only be able to out shoot some of those lists but might also be a list you'd regret getting into cc with after a round or two of shooting. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

You would more than likely want to add some Magic into your list. Either a goblin or Orc Shaman to fight off your enemies' magic. Spirit totem is a good buy for the BSB.
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Welcome to Da Greens i guess :p

Im not sure if it's fun to play. The question is, will your enemy like facing a gunline?
    Then again it could be a very good fight with your hordes ready to take some enemies head on. I think it could prove to be a very interesting fight for both sides.

Im all with ChaosWarrior2010, shamans are missing. It's not that green magic is really great, but they make a great back up for the gunline, with lots of shooting spells. Some spells, like eadbutt can actually snipe at enemy characters and whatnot. Exactly what the gunline needs. (i've had my general sniped to death because of multiple eadbutt spells in 7th and it lost me the game)
    They're also really cheap compared to other army-mages and it's nice to have a use for those magicdice you get anyway. Also you get to use their level to dispel enemy spells.
    Wether you bring a shaman or not, the magic phase is going to happen, bringing a shaman puts you in a position to benefit from it, if not, suffering the phase will be all that remains.

Another bonus is you fielding a unit of 48 orcs. If they ever get into combat you get an extra powerdice. Exactly at the moment you'l be needing it the most (to help out the orcs in the combat)

Your troops arent the best in fighting even the 50 men hordes are not great , they could really use the netters upgrade. Your troops will not kill much even in horde formation. The best way to take out the enemy chargers (after shooting them to bits) is to prevent them from making kills. -1 S works wonders, Your static combat resolution should win you the combat or at least keep your troops alive until the end of turn 6.
    keep those netters near the orc arrerboyz so they get to benfit from it in combo charges.

Maybe remove a few bullies to get some points for that. I think perhaps the amount of guns is overkill since its hard to deploy all those machines and your units with good line of sight. If you deploy anything behind your troops/buildings i would suggest to make it the Doom Divers, who can shoot over your army and negate part of the scatterdistance with their own D3 adjustment.

About the Goblin warbosses:
    Theyre proper fighters but you spend alot of points on making them high Strength and strike first/survive. 121 points is enough to bring 3!!! Night goblin big bosses with great weapons. If you put those in the same horde unit, theyl easily do more damage than that singe boss with allways strike first even if they strike last. (note that the netters really help keeping those bosses alive).

anywayys good luck with yer list!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Rep you both very much for the advise. Originally I was thinking that having a glaring weakness like no shamans might compensate for some of the real life animosity from having so many war machines. I can definitely imagine Digger how deploying all of those war machines would get a little ridiculous. Like I said, I have NO whfb experience, I've just been doing some reading but now that you mention it I think bringing less war machines and some shamans might be more competitive while maybe being a little more respectable because I didn't max out my war machine options. If anyone thinks the list is cheese or has any other criticisms at all please let me know. You guys know better than anybody how expensive and time consuming this hobby can be.

My biggest concern with this list is I don't know how I would go about making that many Arrow Boys. I don't think GW sells plastic bits for them. I'd have to mod them somehow.

2000pts

Warboss

Orc Great Shaman 260
    Horn of Urgok, Talisman of Endurance, WAAAGH!! Paint

Orc Big Boss 149

47 Orc Arrow Boyz 312

Full Command

Night Goblin Big Boss 38
    Light Armor, Shield, Additional Hand Weapon

Night Goblin Big Boss 38

Night Goblin Shaman 100
    Staff of Sneaky Stealing

Night Goblin Shaman 85
    Pipes of Doom

50 Night Goblins 205
    Short Bows, Nets, Full Command

49 Night Goblins 202

4 Spear Chukkas 160
    4 Bullies

3 Rock Lobbas 225
    3 Bullies

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I'm by no means an expert in Orcs as I've just started but, anyway...Comments in blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by YounGunner View Post

My biggest concern with this list is I don't know how I would go about making that many Arrow Boys. I don't think GW sells plastic bits for them. I'd have to mod them somehow.
    GW only sells metal ones now and they're way to expensive to consider doing a unit of. You can pick the old plastic ones off ebay fairly easily and cheaply though. I've seen quite alot of them as I was looking for them for myself. I'm guessing GW will finally make models of them when they re-do the army

2000pts

Warboss

Not quite sure what the Dragon Helm will acheive for you. You're paying alot of points just for a 4+ save. Most people that will be able to wound your T5 Boss wont be allowing you a save anyway. Consider spending the points on a Wardsave, a cheap way to do that is to make him a savage orc (he gets frenzy too, it's a real bargain). You could always grab the Charmed shield too, it works like a normal shield, it's cheap and it allows you to ignore the first hit on a 2+. which aint bad!!

Orc Great Shaman 260
    Horn of Urgok, Talisman of Endurance, WAAAGH!! Paint

Orc Big Boss 149

Not sure BSB's can take Mundane shields. I know some races can but Orcs I thought couldn't.

47 Orc Arrow Boyz 312

Full Command
    Good luck finding these!

Night Goblin Big Boss 38

Night Goblin Big Boss 38

Ditch the additonal hand weapons. For starters str 4 isn't great, secondly, neither is your initiative so you might as well bite the bullet, realise you'll be stiking last and go for a great weapon. You wont need the shields either as you can't use them in combat with 2 hand weapons or great weapons.

Night Goblin Shaman 100
    Staff of Sneaky Stealing

Night Goblin Shaman 85
    Pipes of Doom

50 Night Goblins 205

49 Night Goblins 202

4 Spear Chukkas 160
    4 Bullies

3 Rock Lobbas 225
    3 Bullies

Not sure how great Lobbas are to be honest. Stone throwers just aren't amazing really. Str3 and no save modifiers wont make much of an impact. You can cause some grief to hordes and low toughness things hiding away behind scenery but your arrer boys and gobbo bowmen can handle hordes.
    Doom Divers on the other hand are str5 and ignore saves which will give you some serious punch if you come up against lots of Knights or armies like Warriors who are like walking tanks and will laugh at str3 bows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Thanks for all of the excellent points on the updated list Lord Borak. I will update the list again with your suggestions in mind but probably won't post the new update because you're right, there really isn't an easy way to make that many Arrow Boys. I'll just have to wait.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

for what it's worth, there are plastic Arrer Boyz going around, they were in a starterset a few editions back and those are very cheap, IF they are to be found on internetauctions, not so much lately i think.
    They look a lot like the metal ones on GW site now, but if theres any regiment that doesnt rank up properly it's these boyz. they're worse even than the new black orcs!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

+ Reply to Thread